Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tyre Replacement not using Toyota dealership?

fred88

15 hours ago, fred88 said:

I heard an argument once that's it's easier to regain control of a vehicle that had lost grip at the front than the rear. Hence put best tyres at the back. Despite that I tend to just replace them in the the position they wear out in, in pairs if possible. 

Tend to agree provided you know how to deal with a rear wheel skid. 

I find a front wheel skid counter intuitive.  You intend to turn right but the car doesn't turn.  You are therefore skiding to the  left (albeit actually continuing straight).  It takes nerve to steer left, or rather not increase the wheels to the  right. 

• Like 4

New tyres should really be fitted to the rear axle but most tyre garages can't be bothered to swop the wheels around on the vehicle.

I always put the new tyres on the rear axle.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Tend to agree provided you know how to deal with a rear wheel skid. 

I find a front wheel skid counter intuitive.  You intend to turn right but the car doesn't turn.  You are therefore skiding to the  left (albeit actually continuing straight).  It takes nerve to steer left, or rather not increase the wheels to the  right. 

Yes! The idea is to try and regain traction in the tyre and the only way to do that is decrease the steering angle and hope it catches in time!

I sometimes think there should be some training in this, as FWD skid recovery generally is a bit unintuitive.

e.g. in a RWD car, if the back starts to step out you just counter steer and lift off the throttle progressively (Don't just release it, as the sudden loss of torque will likely throw the car the other way!).

But in FWD car, if you did this you'd more than likely make it worse as the front wheels will slow down while the back continues trying to overtake the front and swings round more - Instead, it's better to counter steer and, instead of lifting, gently increase throttle to gently pull the rear back in line.

You used to see this a lot in BTCC, where people would bump the rear corner of a car - The RWD ones would just spin out, but the FWD ones would just accelerate harder and crab along sideways until the other car stopped pushing them :laugh: 

• Like 5

I had good experience with Kwik Fit mobile tyre fitting. Guys seem very professional however that was on a car without TPMS.

Anyone tried Kwik Fit mobile tyre fitting with TPMS? I am thinking of getting four new Michelins as I cannot stand the road noise from the Falkens. 

edit: look for tyres with rim protection if you have diamond cut alloys

• Like 4

Do the Michelin's have rim protection? Which ones are you considering?

On 2/7/2023 at 8:10 PM, APS said:

Blackcircles (owned by Michelin)

As are ATS Euromaster ....

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, fred88 said:

Do the Michelin's have rim protection? Which ones are you considering?

The rim protector on any tyre depends of tyre size and particularly the wall height ratio, anything 50 and below will have rim protectors, some larger, some smaller but there will be something. 55 and above they don’t, because the tyre wall is tall enough and protects the wheel better than any protector on low profile tyres. On your design spec Corolla 225/45 17 any tyre will have rim protector. 

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links