Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Now have an issue with steering - clunking sound from rack.?

Tech429

Noticed this a couple of nights ago - when pulling away from the kerb or pulling out/reversing from a parking space, etc. (so at low speed) there is a very loud clunking sound coming from somewhere.  It does sound like the steering column from the inside... but open window and it is much louder and sounds like it is from the steering rack.

Most concerning.

Well contact Toyota dealership down the road for them to check and hopefully fix.

Anyone else have this issue?

You can hear it clunking away when you are turning a tight corner (say to turn the car around in the road or car park or whatever) but clunks in the same steering wheel position when right turning and like a rattle sound when steering left...

Needless to say I have not hit a pothole or kerbed it... or anything.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

New car shouldn’t be doing that. Many  Toyota models up to 2016 in some cases and above has that steering wheel column clunk/ clicks when manoeuvre at low speeds.
There can be few possibility, dried out grease on the telescopic splines, faulty or not properly tightened bolt on the intermediate shafts, worn bearings or gears in the steering wheel motor assembly.
In your car it might ne the grease thing, but still under warranty best to visit a dealer and let them sorted for you.
Similar thing happened to me on brand new Priuses , one classic at around 30k miles and one plus version as early as 14k miles, never bothered to repair. Also my Auris has that since day one I had it 5 years old with 42k miles on the clock, currently 13 years old with 236k miles the problem didn’t worsen at all but remained and it’s annoying indeed 👍

• Like 2

Might be worth checking the wheel nuts are torqued up

• Like 3

It does sound like something hasn't been tightened up properly - Maybe they put one of the old bz4x wheel bearings on yours by mistake :laugh: 

If it's easily reproducible, best thing to do is get the dealer to look at it and fix it under warranty.

• Like 3

Was in Toyota today...

And they found a rubber bush had come out of it's mounting (did not say on what and i didn't ask).  But am shocked a rubber mount bush can just "pop out"!

They have fixed the issue and now quiet again... 

...until next time.

Oh yes - faults so far (on a new 22 plate) as of 18th March 2020:

1. DCM fault after 6 weeks

2. Passenger front window rattling as you open/close (sounded like it would snap or crack at 3/4 down point) after 4 months - now seems fixed of its own accord

3. Clunking from front end when slow speed after 7 months - found to be Anti-roll bar bushes (replaced) but then still clunking - then found to be Shock absorbers (replaced) 

4. DCM Unit replaced (on recall) 4 weeks ago - not fixed as still not tracking journeys (but did track journeys the technician made testing out on point 5!!!)

5. Clunking on steering - found to be some rubber bush has miraculously just "popped out" - now "hopefully" fixed

6. ?

Who knows...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/10/2023 at 3:36 PM, TonyHSD said:

New car shouldn’t be doing that.

My thoughts too - however new cars will have little niggles and faults.  Used cars upto a reasonable mileage tend to be faultless due to all niggles ironed out.

• Like 3

Another reason I prefer used cars! :laugh: 

To be fair my Mk4 has been very solid so far; It has lots of niggles and annoyances but it's been faultless where it counts. Only serious issues I've had was the windscreen crack (Can;t really blame the car for that :laugh: ) and the hybrid system malfunction (Which, after I got over the initial shock, went from "ohshiohshiohshi" :eek:  to being just mildly annoying, since the car would still happily accelerate at full beans to 70mph while blinking "Hybrid System Malfunction Visit Your Dealer" at me :laugh: )

Thanks for posting back with how you got on BTW, much appreciated :thumbsup:

I am also curious what that bush was, but it's not unheard of for them to get dislodged when subjected to repeated hard shocks in just the right direction (e.g. London's pothole-filled roads :laugh: ). Very rare tho'. Maybe it wasn't fitted quite right in the factory?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Tech429 said:

Was in Toyota today...

And they found a rubber bush had come out of it's mounting (did not say on what and i didn't ask).  But am shocked a rubber mount bush can just "pop out"!

They have fixed the issue and now quiet again... 

...until next time.

Oh yes - faults so far (on a new 22 plate) as of 18th March 2020:

1. DCM fault after 6 weeks

2. Passenger front window rattling as you open/close (sounded like it would snap or crack at 3/4 down point) after 4 months - now seems fixed of its own accord

3. Clunking from front end when slow speed after 7 months - found to be Anti-roll bar bushes (replaced) but then still clunking - then found to be Shock absorbers (replaced) 

4. DCM Unit replaced (on recall) 4 weeks ago - not fixed as still not tracking journeys (but did track journeys the technician made testing out on point 5!!!)

5. Clunking on steering - found to be some rubber bush has miraculously just "popped out" - now "hopefully" fixed

6. ?

Who knows...

Sorry but if that was my car I would want to know exactly where and why this bush came out. This is concerning news.

• Like 2

had a problem donkeys years ago, hit a level crossing a bit hard and then car clunked going around left hand corners, after much scratching of head i discovered an engine mount had sheared. hard to find stationary. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links