Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Front Seats

Jimota

17 minutes ago, Cyker said:

That's interesting, as I was thinking it was the 'Sports Seats' in the higher Mk4 trims that was the issue. Maybe I've got the seat set up wrong, or I'm just deformed! :eek: 

My main issue is the lumbar support - Without the towel I've wedged there, my lower back is in agony after 30 minutes!

I find that there’s plenty of support for my lower back we must be different shapes 

All I can say is when anyone sits in any of my cars they always comment on how upright I have the seat but I just feels a natural position to me. 
could be me that’s deformed 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 2/15/2023 at 8:04 PM, Jimota said:

Never thought I’d receive so many responses to my original post.  Some really informative and interesting comments, especially in regard to the position of the airbags from the usual contributors, but I was hoping that someone would give detailed views on how it affects their overall seating comfort.  As previously mentioned, it’s not a really big deal for me but the Yaris Cross seats are not the most comfortable nor are they the worst that I’ve experienced.  I suppose that I would give them an above average score to an otherwise excellent car in all other aspects.  Still too early to give a full and comprehensive report but I’d like to give an informed opinion after I have completed at least 1000 miles. Cheers.

I can't say I noticed! I shall have a look! Airbag deployment seems most plausible, as well as helping with reaching towards the middle of the vehicle.

• Like 2

In Toyota cars anyone having a problem with seats finding comfortable position especially those who has issues with lower back support, lumbar adjustment if can’t help then you can play with the height of the seat base. When adjusting the seat base height you are actually adjusting the angle of the base too, going up will lift up rear end of the base, going down will lower rear end and I found going lower on the base made my seat ultra comfortable. 👍

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

In Toyota cars anyone having a problem with seats finding comfortable position especially those who has issues with lower back support, lumbar adjustment if can’t help then you can play with the height of the seat base. When adjusting the seat base height you are actually adjusting the angle of the base too, going up will lift up rear end of the base, going down will lower rear end and I found going lower on the base made my seat ultra comfortable. 👍

Funny you should say that I have my seat lower than I normally would for better visibility under the rear view mirror/sensor cover 

• Like 4

Despite my wife warning me not to mess about with the seating configurations anymore, I’m going to have another go at fine tuning the backrest and height positions.  It seems strange that I felt perfectly comfortable in the first 4 or 5 weeks of ownership and now experience a slight lack of support on the left hand lateral cushion of the backrest.

TonyHSD explanation about Toyota seating positions makes me wonder if my wife has adjusted the seat to her own comfort setting and maybe that’s the reason why she doesn’t want it changed.  Too much of a gentleman to make any comment towards my wife but I’ll certainly be messing about with the seat tomorrow while she watches catch up episodes of Coronation Street.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

5 hours ago, Jimota said:

Despite my wife warning me not to mess about with the seating configurations anymore, I’m going to have another go at fine tuning the backrest and height positions.  It seems strange that I felt perfectly comfortable in the first 4 or 5 weeks of ownership and now experience a slight lack of support on the left hand lateral cushion of the backrest.

TonyHSD explanation about Toyota seating positions makes me wonder if my wife has adjusted the seat to her own comfort setting and maybe that’s the reason why she doesn’t want it changed.  Too much of a gentleman to make any comment towards my wife but I’ll certainly be messing about with the seat tomorrow while she watches catch up episodes of Coronation Street.  

Hahah,

when we were sharing the Auris with my girlfriend together  I said to her that she can adjust the seat forward but not to touch the height adjustment or I will be very angry 😤 She did it anyway and it took me ages to find my comfortable position again. Now I know my trick: I lower the base to lowest possible settings, pull 3 times up, then set for distance from the pedals and then adjust the backrest, I know where the headrest should be positioned agains the seatbelt on the B pillar. Job done , no need and auto seats with memory. And btw I spent many hours in my car and take some naps often so the driver seat gets reclined few times every day now over 4 years , unbelievable testing of Toyota quality standards 😂👍

• Like 5

On 2/19/2023 at 1:00 AM, TonyHSD said:

Job done , no need and auto seats with memory.

There is no need, but it is better to have it 😄 I had three positions saved in my old car with memory seats: normal (city), sport, and highway. I have seen lately on some Porsche review that they have 18-positions seats... I can't even imagine that many directions! 😄

• Like 4

The seats look symmetrical on our Cross, so not sure?

I'm happy with manual seats. Too much to go wrong with electric.

• Like 3

Well, spent over an hour adjusting the seating positions and found a configuration which seems a little bit more supportive.  However, my wife still maintains that there is nothing wrong with the seating support and I’m just a spineless individual.  You can’t win, can you?

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Jimota said:

Well, spent over an hour adjusting the seating positions and found a configuration which seems a little bit more supportive.  However, my wife still maintains that there is nothing wrong with the seating support and I’m just a spineless individual.  You can’t win, can you?

The secret to matrimonial happiness is "yes dear, have another chocolate"

Well it is if you like black eyes and cold shoulder for dinner.

• Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it turns out that my wife was right in calling me a spineless individual.  Since arriving in Australia to visit my daughter I’ve  had a loan of a Saab 93 1.8T convertible which is very enjoyable to drive in the 30 degree heat and sunshine.  However, despite having a comfortable driving seat I’m still getting that lack of support feeling on the left lateral support cushion when turning the car.  I don’t suffer from back pain and nothing seems out of alignment but I think my posture has changed somehow and that may be the cause of the problem.  So, I take back my slight criticism of the Yaris Cross seat and just have to accept that I now have another symptom of getting older.  I hate it when my wife proves me wrong.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

I did just a short test drive with yaris cross and the seats are ok for me. Of course i will need to do more long journeys when my car arrive,to see if some back pain start to dance. I hope not. As for wife adjusting the seat i dodget the problem pretty well. She don't drive:laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

From all new Yaris cross currently available the GR sport has the best seats imo.
The material is the same like on my old Auris.
That thing synthetic or not last ages and it’s the most comfortable material I ever sat on in any car.  
Whoever own gr sport will see after some time of ownership. GR4 Yaris also has the same material but even better design of the bolsters.
Will be interesting to hear from somebody that had or used all trims YX and can compare the seats , comfort, holding in turns, and general feeling. Seats does make a huge difference and comes as second most important thing in terms of drive comfort after the suspension set up. , and talking of which Toyota has made it stiffer this time with the gr trims. 

• Like 2

Having had the Cross for a year, the Yaris GR Sport seats are best, aided by the suspension. The Cross definitely rolls more, and the reduced support is noticable, but not problematic.

• 11 months later...

I am having difficulty getting comfortable again in the drivers seat of my Yaris Cross.  Same problem as the original poster, lack of lateral support on right hand bends. I feel like my left leg, when on the foot rest, isn't far enough left because of the tunnel shape. I wear walking shoes which are quite wide and wondered if I should get slimmer shoes so my foot moves left a bit.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links