Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

CHR rear dash cam fitting

Phil T

Can't see any post on this. I was wondering if I could pick up a power feed rather than feed a wire from the front, possibly pickup one of the rear light feeds. Also mounting the camera, the Prius had a nice shelf to mount on with the letterbox lower glass. The CHR glass is very angled, any ideas?

I have CHR 2019 and fitted a double power socket in the armrest. I drilled small holes in the bottom of the box to feed the cables to the front and rear cameras. Took about an hour. The double socket + usb available from Halfords

I have Nextbase front and rear Dashcam and the rear camera just plugs straight into the front camera and both cameras recorded on one micro sd card and the power for the front camera comes from the fuse box underneath the glove box taking the feed from the power outlet using a piggyback fuse. No drilling holes etc.

• Like 2

Leo, I have two cameras, 512GW and 622GW so I need to mount separately. The 512GW started playing up, then I found the 622GW on special offer. I later found the SD card was playing up, despite it being a genuine Sandisk. You have got me thinking now, the addon rear view camera might save a lot of messing 😏

it’s not April the first is it?
I’ll follow that to the letter. 
Ahem, now what price that add on for the front camera?

By eck they could put a new headlining in at the same time. Not much trim that doesn’t come off. Perhaps I’ll give that version a miss, what price do the garage charge for installation, looks like a days work.

• Haha 1

Toyota front and rear Dash Cams Fitted between £350 to £380 or £300 to £280 just the front. For all the work entailed a bargain. £231 for just the camera. Shop around for the best price.

• Like 1

It’s easier to plug into the obd connector. Fuse box is in awkward place

14 hours ago, Roger F said:

It’s easier to plug into the obd connector. Fuse box is in awkward place

Roger, Not if you get someone else to do it!😀😀😀.

• Haha 2

I would suggest the fuse box as the power source for the camera as it's where dealers pick up from with a piggy back fuse set up.    Toyota dealers use the same set up as Lexus dealers and their cameras are Nextbase but don't have the screen so you are relying and assuming the cameras are recording.  I believe a warning light comes on if there is a fault but a physical viewing screen would tell you immediately if the camera had stopped recording as the image would be frozen if it's stops recording.     The benefit of a single Nextbase 512GW set up is the ability to connect a rear mounted camera straight into it by running a cable to it.  The only hassle is running the cable from the rear screen to the front mounted camera but isn't that difficult and of course you only have to have the one power source/feed.   

• Like 1

Like others I suggest doing it via a piggyback fuse under the glove box. But if you are not able then double socket 12v adaptor. 

Dealer told me special offer of fitted front and back cameras for £300 for my new car order, told them no thanks. Can do it myself with top of the range for less Viofo A229 Duo 2k

• Like 1

I've got the Nextbase 522GW which replaced a 512GW. I was going to fit that in the back then I was directed to the plug in camera by Leo, there's a cabin view and rear view, I got the rear view. A lead for the rear was £20 and new sticky fixer £3, plus pulling the panels apart. A plug in camera refurbished with 6 month guarantee £40, and it's good, I am highly delighted. As it says you just plug it in and it configures itself, brilliant. If you look at the video you can read the Mercs number plate, no problem, probably all the information you need.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have a Nextbase 512gw. I never use the 'w' (wireless) feature, it just seems slow and the videos are of low quality. But it seems to be a competent camera, the high resolution videos are perfect. I would like to add a 512gwrc for the rear, but I can't get one for love nor money.

I've recently replaced the Battery, that was a challenge and not for the feint hearted. Other than having to de-solder the old one and solder in the new one, the hardest part by far was getting the 3 fiddly ribbon cable back in place and working.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2023 at 7:50 PM, UncleZen said:

I have a nextbase 512gw. I never use the 'w' (wireless) feature, it just seems slow and the videos are of low quality. But it seems to be a competent camera, the high resolution videos are perfect. I would like to add a 512gwrc for the rear, but I can't get one for love nor money.

I've recently replaced the battery, that was a challenge and not for the feint hearted. Other than having to de-solder the old one and solder in the new one, the hardest part by far was getting the 3 fiddly ribbon cable back in place and working.

Great job, this is the reason I have a capacitor based dash cam. It has been in the car for 4 years now. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Fyi, I noticed yesterday that there is a fuse box next to the Battery in the boot in the 2.0. There may be a suitable fuse that could be piggy backed from there.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links