Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New 12 volt high power battery fitted.

Derek.w

Just fitted the largest 12 volt Battery I can find to a Yaris Hybrid TNGA platform.

Battery located under rear seat.

Original Battery 35Ah 246Amps

Replacment 45Ah 440Amps

IMG_0467.thumb.JPG.f11edaad47c07c9a033192ed321736ce.JPG

Note battery tray will only acept a battery of L175xW175xH190

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The fact the yuasa is able to make the same size Battery as mutla but with 30% more capacity is telling all about the quality.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Derek.w said:

Just fitted the largest 12 volt battery I can find to a Yaris Hybrid TNGA platform.

How does the price compare to a new version of the original?

• Like 1

Only issue was recharging it 2 or 3 times a week so more capacity just recharge it once a month.

Price was £74.79 that includes delivery.

It nearest rival on capacity was Varta Blue Dynamic B36 44Ah 420amps

• Like 4

No problem for dc to dc coverter charging the Battery I noted once charged th dc converter switches off until it voltage drops to 12.6 volts then it starts up again at 14.XX volts.

• Like 5

Please Note Yuasa make simlar sise Battery under code 202 spec with diffrent power outputs.

I have no infomation on similar sizes of Multlu batterys but its possible its just not imported into the UK.

For prices in the UK of Multlu car batterys you have to contact its agent Toyota UK.

• Like 3

If you have trouble with your original Battery, your Battery fix is probably the best solution, than all the other fixes, eg, trickle chargers etc.

My next question would be how would Toyota view re the warranty??

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bernard Foy said:

If you have trouble with your original battery, your battery fix is probably the best solution, than all the other fixes, eg, trickle chargers etc.

My next question would be how would Toyota view re the warranty??

Isn't the Battery technically a "wear" item, like bulbs, brakes, wipers, etc.? AFAIK it is not a warranty item. So long as the replacement meets the spec (12V and can service peak loading), it should be fine.

• Like 3

Look forward to any updates Derek posts on this Battery upgrade over the coming weeks, especially  if the  need to recharge 2-3 times a week  is now history.

I assume the Mutlu item was the OEM fitted item and was 3 years old. Did it always require regular recharges from day one or was it a gradual decline in capacity ?

If a £74 upgrade saves tri weekly charging regime it is a great deal.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, RobertR said:

The fact the yuasa is able to make the same size battery as mutla but with 30% more capacity is telling all about the quality.

How. 

Is that a "AGM" Battery?

I sincerely hope that it is not a liquid acid type as if the car is involved in a serious crash or rolls over the chance of acid flying about is really scarey.

• Like 2

If a small Battery charge reduces to minimum over X days from either short on board recharging periods or lack of use, it follows that a Battery with twice the capacity might not reach that minimum until 2X days.  I am keeping it simple to illustrate the point. 

Now suppose the usage regime does not change, that larger Battery will require double the recharge time on a charger. Not a problem of course if that be an overnight charge using an appropriate charger. 

Where that larger battery will be more advantageous if the non-use periods were 3 weeks or more rather than 2 weeks. 

It's a question of economics and convenience. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Sooty said:

Is that a "AGM" battery?

I sincerely hope that it is not a liquid acid type as if the car is involved in a serious crash or rolls over the chance of acid flying about is really scarey.

Yes it’s AGM but why worry about acid leaking when you’re rolling down a field.  The Battery isn’t on your knee it’s bolted under the back seat.  I wouldn’t be worrying about if I’d put the cat out either while I was hanging upside down picking glass out of my gums.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

exactly, weak acid from a Battery on your hands will be the last thing you will concern about when your car will be 1m shorter due to the front collision.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

What about acid in your childrens or families eyes while trapped after an accident !

Having said that I may also choose to fit a non AGM if for whatever reason it suited me at the time but there are many risks however small to at least be considered when making choices.

Also I am not sure that a non AGM Battery would charge fully or as fast in a vehicle with an AGM optimized charging system. Of course I am assuming a vehicle designed for an AGM Battery has a charging sytem optimized for it ... anyone know ?

• Like 1

I’m absolutely sure that an insurance company would have a big say on whether or not they will cover a lead acid in the back of the car in the event of a serious accident when a claim is activated.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

Isn't the battery technically a "wear" item, like bulbs, brakes, wipers, etc.? AFAIK it is not a warranty item. So long as the replacement meets the spec (12V and can service peak loading), it should be fine.

Yes it is, but a lot of customers of Hybrid Toyota’s have had to have them replaced shortly after purchasing the new car for free. So there’s some ambiguity about the w&t issue.

• Like 2

It only occurred to me recently that the BL Mini Clubman estate I owned in my teens had a normal lead acid Battery under the back seat. From memory the Battery clamp was missing too so there was nothing holding it in place but gravity! Having said that the car very rusty and had the crash-safety of a cardboard box so Battery acid was the least of my worries.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

27 minutes ago, yossarian247 said:

It only occurred to me recently that the BL Mini Clubman estate I owned in my teens had a normal lead acid battery under the back seat. From memory the battery clamp was missing too so there was nothing holding it in place but gravity! Having said that the car very rusty and had the crash-safety of a cardboard box so battery acid was the least of my worries.

Health and car safety issues in those days were a very low priority for car manufacturers. Thanks to a great guy in the USA by the name of Ralph Nader who started to make a big car manufacturer in the USA look at the safety of their cars. In a class action he brought them to court and it cost them a lot of money. And governments in various countries began to pass safety laws for cars and their passengers. Although it took many many years and many many deaths to arrive at the high state of safety we have today.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Bernard Foy said:

Health and car safety issues in those days were a very low priority for car manufacturers. Thanks to a great guy in the USA by the name of Ralph Nader who started to make a big car manufacturer in the USA look at the safety of their cars. In a class action he brought them to court and it cost them a lot of money. And governments in various countries began to pass safety laws for cars and their passengers. Although it took many many years and many many deaths to arrive at the high state of safety we have today.

The era of 'safety doesn't sell', which Lee Iacocca was apparently fond of saying. 

• Like 1