Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Android Auto disables Bluetooth

rewizard

While I connect my smartphone with Android Auto to my Toyota Corolla Touring Sport hybrid via USB cable the bluetooth is immediately disabled. It means I can't listen to the Spotify music by bluetooth earphones while I use Android Auto navigation. 

Is there any option how to enable both? 

Sometimes happens that they works together. But it happens accidentally and I can't do that intentionally. 

You want to listen to Spotify on the phone using earphones?

If that is the case the problem may be that the phone is connected to the car for audio output (possibly via Bluetooth) when you have it plugged in for Android Auto.

You could, of course, just play Spotify through the car's Speakers.

Unfortunately I can't help with whether it is possible to get the phone to play two separate audio sources through two separate outputs at once. A quick Google search suggests that it isn't, but you could try enabling the developer settings on your phone and disabling automatic USB audio routing.

Just be aware . is it legal to have earphones in while driving?
In addition, while there is no specific law about using headphones, the police could pull you over and issue a penalty under the driving without due care and attention act.12 Oct 2021

Yes, I want to use earphones. Sometimes when I do not travel alone. My crew has different preferences what to listen during the journey. At that time if I want to listen to the specific podcasts while driving I need to use earphones (one bt earphone is enough). 

As far as I know there is a safety reason that some car producers design the USB port connection in the way that the BT is automatically disabled while phone with Android Auto is connected to the port. 

I am looking solution how to avoid that. 

I think that I don't have a possibility to disable automatic USB routing on my phone Redmi Note 6 Pro. 

In case of legal concerns I use only left earphone like hands free headset. 

Each to their own choice, but when driving I feel I need all my senses (and more) fully alert, so no earphone for me.                       
If I wanted to listen to something over the car sound system and my passengers (crew) want to listen to something else they THEY can wear the earphones not me.

• Thanks 1

Catlover. Like wise. as an ex night shift tanker driver one of our drivers was pulled over by the police and lucky to get off Scot free 

• Like 2

Safety aspect is off topic of the issue I asked for help to solve. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, rewizard said:

Safety aspect is off topic of the issue I asked for help to solve. 

Not off topic, it is part of the topic. Doing what you are suggesting could easily affect the safety of others, both those inside the car and those outside. If I held back on saying something re safety, and you failed to hear a warning (due to earplugs or suchlike) and you, or some other person, was injured I would feel really bad. There is a recognised saying …….“safety first”.  Put the interest of others safety first and your own safety will be covered too.

Of course, you could always ignore good advice and do what you think is right, but the law may say something different and have the final say.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am aware of the safety aspect of that. Talking about it more is off topic. And does not help me solve the issue. 

• Like 1

Additionally I can use/ not use earplugs either without using Android Auto application. So why not with Android Auto app. 

The disabling of bluetooth is not by the car/Toyota it is done by the phone (both Apple/Android do this) when you connect for Android auto or Apple car play the intention being you are not interacting with your phone on the move

• Like 1

Are you sure it's being disabled and not being used by another device?

I inspired by @Don Mac advice and disabled automatic USB audio routing. I am wondering whether it helps. 

7 hours ago, marlinleg said:
Just be aware . is it legal to have earphones in while driving?
In addition, while there is no specific law about using headphones, the police could pull you over and issue a penalty under the driving without due care and attention act.12 Oct 2021

Yea if you see one !

I used BT earphones all the time. I could send Spotify direct to my earphones and if I could not get Android Auto at the same time, use a second device.  

I do not believe I would be breaking any law. 

I am deaf. 

Use a second device is a good idea.

I tried this in my car as I have wireless android auto via a AAwireless device and wondered if it made a difference. I could find no way to get audio out of the bluetooth headphones even though they remained connected.

Disabling of automatic routing sound to USB did not help. The BT remains disabled while connected through USB. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links