Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pairing a CD player via Bluetooth or USB to 2023 Yaris Cross

Keith Sheppard

I have tried three different portable bluetooth CD players in my 2023 Yaris cross, neither of them will pair with the media system. Is it a special bluetooth signal on the Yaris?

Can anyone recommend a CD player that will pair with the media system?

Thankyou

Don’t know about bluetooth pairing to CD player but you can get portable players with a built in fm transmitter that can be tuned to the fm radio. I’ve never tried one so I don’t know how good they are. A quick search found this 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hernido-Transmitter-Rechargeable-Headphones-Shockproof-Black/dp/B091YP389H/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?keywords=cd+player+for+car+with+no+cd+player&qid=1677441586&sr=8-4

• Like 2

It has been discussed many times

it's cheaper to rip your CD's down and put them on a USB pen drive

In car USB CD player

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Connects2-Adv-Usbcd-Player-Mechless-Stereos/dp/B081S1GMDT

https://www.connects2.com/Product/ProductItem/ADV-USBCD

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

It has been discussed many times

it's cheaper to rip your CD's down and put them on a USB pen drive

Spot on, i put all my music on a SD card in my phone so i have music whatever vehicle i am in, bluetooth works great in my Yaris and it sounds good, another plus is the forward/reverse track buttons on the steering wheel also work, i imagine more of the buttons will work on the more modern cars.

• Like 1

USB works great. It's a little buggy finding songs depending upon what characters appear in the filename AND how the list is display (artist, title, or folder) but otherwise plays fine (gen. 3 Touch).

I only tried MP3 format.

I tried USB but gave up as 

8 minutes ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

USB works great. It's a little buggy finding songs depending upon what characters appear in the filename AND how the list is display (artist, title, or folder) but otherwise plays fine (gen. 3 Touch).

I tried USB stick but gave up after a while as the songs were all over the place for the reason given above, i ended up installing the free and very popular music player below on my phone and it works a treat and its an off line player with no adverts which was the main reason i chose it over all the others

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=in.krosbits.musicolet&hl=en_GB&gl=US

• Like 2

As I have an iPhone I subscribe to Apple music, the monthly cost is less than I used to spend on records cd’s ect. You can then use the voice button on the steering wheel to ask Siri to play any of the over 100 million songs that are currently available. It works well, I also have my music library downloaded to my phone so it still works without a cellular connection. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Ralph H said:

As I have an iPhone I subscribe to Apple Music, the monthly cost is less than I used to spend on records cd’s ect. You can then use the voice button on the steering wheel to ask Siri to play any of the over 100 million songs that are currently available. It works well, I also have my music library downloaded to my phone so it still works without a cellular connection. 

I am a bit of a luddite  finding a music player and moving CD to SD card was enough of a challenge.   😄

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Max_Headroom said:

I tried USB stick but gave up after a while as the songs were all over the place for the reason given above, i ended up installing the free and very popular music player below on my phone and it works a treat and its an off line player with no adverts which was the main reason i chose it over all the others

I've done the same thing but for a different reason.  I succeded in tagging the songs ( all FLAC files ) and they wew correctly played with good quality.  But I often need to use Waze ith AA so I can't use at the same time the USB port for both music and AA.   So I bought a 256 Gb card and put it in my smartphone.  I tried many players but I found that Musicolet was the best for me.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RickyC said:

But I often need to use Waze ith AA so I can't use at the same time the USB port for both music and AA.   So I bought a 256 Gb card and put it in my smartphone.  I

I have built in sat nav in the MK3 I will use Google maps or Waze  in the next Yaris could you confirm you can play music from the phone using bluetooth but have to have the phone plugged into USB to use Android Auto for Google maps or Waze at the same time as playing music?

39 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

I have built in sat nav in the MK3 I will use Google maps or Waze  in the next Yaris could you confirm you can play music from the phone using Bluetooth but have to have the phone plugged into USB to use Android Auto for Google maps or Waze at the same time as playing music?

When using carplay and I assume android auto music is played though the carplay system as in your music app will appear on screen as it does on your phone and will work with whatever satnav app you choose. The only audio that is separate is the radio and that also works fine 

you can also just play music via bluetooth separately to carplay 

4 hours ago, Max_Headroom said:

I have built in sat nav in the MK3 I will use Google maps or Waze  in the next Yaris could you confirm you can play music from the phone using Bluetooth but have to have the phone plugged into USB to use Android Auto for Google maps or Waze at the same time as playing music?

I run Musicolet directly from AA with phone connected through USB cable.  You can use at the same time Musicolet and Waze.  When Waze needs to do an announcement automatically interrupts Musicolet audio and resumes when message ends.

You can read the tags of played song directly from main multimedia screen or in the dedicated app screen ( switchin between apps ).  

You can play music with AA even if BT multimedia play is disabled for Toyota Touch BT device on Android Phone BT profile.

• Like 1

Thanks Ricky, could i ask why you prefer Waze assuming you have tried google maps.

To be honest I've never used Google Maps wirh AA.  I used it as standalone, walking by foot, some times but often chooses longer trips to reach the destination.

Waze has the advantage to have real time traffic monitoring, signals accidents or mobile speed traps.  One thing that I don't like of Waze is that is unable to learn my preferred routes.  When you know the town where you drive, very often you know better ways to go from a point to another than the one proposed by a navigation app.  It would be nice if the app could learn it and choose it as a preferential route, 

There's another nice ad-free navigatiom app avaliable for both Android and IOS.  Magic-Earth.  Is a swiss made app that uses local maps ( OSM maps ). The big problem is that is compliant with Apple Car Play but not with Android Auto. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've had this conversation with Toyota, and basically, you can't connect a CD player via bluetooth in new Toyotas. There may be an option via the USB port, which I will investigate. And to answer many of the responses you got to this post, there's plenty of reasons why you might want to connect a CD player rather than listen to a low-quality streaming service 😉

Streaming services aren’t low quality anymore Apple music catalog is now encoded using  resolutions ranging from 16-bit/44.1 kHz (CD Quality) up to 24-bit/192 kHz. I have my library downloaded to my phone in hi res lostless audio, which can be played in full quality if connected to car play with USB. I also believe you can play cd quality via wireless car play as it uses wifi and not bluetooth to connect.

2 hours ago, Fatalist said:

And to answer many of the responses you got to this post, there's plenty of reasons why you might want to connect a CD player rather than listen to a low-quality streaming service 😉

I think you may have conveniently forgotten the other option,  i connect my phone by both bluetooth and USB and have no problem with the quality of the playback.  😉

I cannot see any advantage of using a CD in a car with no built in CD player.

BT usually don't carries lossless audio but uses lossy compression.  So even if you have a collection of 16/44Khz encoded files ( CD Quality ) on you phone memory they're compressed during the BT transmission.

Moreover also AA probably applies some form of compression while playng files through USB because I note a lower quality when playing the same files  ( CD quality FLAC ) via AA or via USB from TT2.  Searching on internet I've read of thew same complain from other people also with different car brands.  

1 hour ago, RickyC said:

BT usually don't carries lossless audio but uses lossy compression.  So even if you have a collection of 16/44Khz encoded files ( CD Quality ) on you phone memory they're compressed during the BT transmission.

Moreover also AA probably applies some form of compression while playng files through USB because I note a lower quality when playing the same files  ( CD quality FLAC ) via AA or via USB from TT2.  Searching on internet I've read of thew same complain from other people also with different car brands.  

Wireless car play doesn’t connect via bluetooth it use WiFi which can transmit lossless audio (at least CD quality). The implication was that streaming music was poor quality compared to a CD player as both formats are just a compressed digital file a carplay connected phone should sound better or as good as a usb or bluetooth connected CD player 

Probably Car Play works better than AA on this point.  I use an Android phone so probly AA behaves differently. 

In any case I don't use streaming services but only Flac files saved in a MicroSD.  

• Like 1

You are in a metal box listening to tyre noise, wind noise, engine noise i doubt very much the majority of us would notice the difference between the different types of music playback mentioned in the thread. 

• Like 1

Surely you're not in an hi-fi room but you can note a quality loss if yu're listeming well recorded music

In any case a car is not the best place for listen a CD with his laser tryng to do miracles on some roads. 

1 hour ago, RickyC said:

Surely you're not in an hi-fi room but you can note a quality loss if yu're listeming well recorded music. 

I find the music on my phone sounds fine using USB maybe i am a bit deaf  😉