Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Older Hybrids

Bper

Was having a chat with another Toyota owner today and we got on the subject about hybrids and he asked me how do I think the older versions of hybrids 10 years or more have been and what issues they may have experienced . So I said would ask. For anyone who does own a hybrid of this sort of age or longer it would be good to know.

• Like 2

A guy at work has a old Auris 1.8 hybrid 2010 T4 spirit and has owned it from new,he's done 146000 miles and apart from new discs and breaks and two sets of tyres and some problems with rattling from the interior no other problems.

He said he has it regularly serviced and does his own oil changes and a few other bits . He said a few minor dents and scratches to the bodywork but no seriously problems since he's owned it.He wants a new hybrid but still loves the car.

• Like 6

Tony has 200K plus miles on his Auris, a friend of mine has a 2012 Yaris that has only wanted a Battery

There are may prius with over 300k that had nothing but the usual wear and tear items like wheel bearings and drive shafts

the HSD is all based of the prius system since 1998

• Like 7

It's certainly good to hear that the cars have not suffered any major issues. It will be interesting to see how the newer versions fare over the same time.

• Like 3

The funny thing is a lot of us thought the traction Battery would need replacing every 2 years when the Prius Mk2 came out, but I swear most of them are still on their original Battery as there've been hardly any threads on here of people needing the traction Battery replaced in any hybrid! :eek: 

It amuses me that the Toyota hybrids still beat most EVs in the reliability ratings too :laugh:  You'd think the EVs would have beaten everything else easily given their much touted mechanical simplicity!! :tongue: 

• Like 7

On 3/2/2023 at 10:33 PM, Cyker said:

The funny thing is a lot of us thought the traction battery would need replacing every 2 years when the Prius Mk2 came out, but I swear most of them are still on their original battery as there've been hardly any threads on here of people needing the traction battery replaced in any hybrid! :eek: 

It amuses me that the Toyota hybrids still beat most EVs in the reliability ratings too :laugh:  You'd think the EVs would have beaten everything else easily given their much touted mechanical simplicity!! :tongue: 

I think the Prius is testimony to not only the build quality and design but the engineering that has made this car the success it is and the reliability that has lasted since it was built.☺️

• Like 7

We have had 3 Toyota hybrids.  A 60 plate Auris HSD, we took it from 45k to 70k miles.  Had a 59 plate Gen3 Prius HSD, only had it 6 months, sold with 105k miles solely to get a gen4 Prius.  That was a 66 plate and a fantastic car.  We were the 2nd owner and sold it with 45k miles. HSD wise, absolutely no problems at all with all three

• Like 6

Apparently they increased the rigidity of the gen4 by 60% compared with previous models, and was said to have improved ride comfort and better handling. As an owner of the gen 3 did you notice a significant difference in the ride and between 3rd and 4 gen.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bper said:

Apparently they increased the rigidity of the gen4 by 60% compared with previous models, and was said to have improved ride comfort and better handling. As an owner of the gen 3 did you notice a significant difference in the ride and between 3rd and 4 gen.

Yes, there was a difference but that was probably due to tyre sizes. The Auris and the gen3 Prius were on 17” tyres.  The gen4 Prius was on 15” tyres, and because of sidewall depth thus giving more flex it became more comfortable.  When I was looking for a gen4 Prius, I wanted JBL sound system and leather seats. These was standard fit in the Excel so that is what I was looking for, plus it being Hypersonic Red, same as the car in the main brochure. I also wanted 15” wheels, the standard was 17” on the Excel. So a tough order to find one, and I was having problems doing so…..until I found one at a Toyota dealer in Solihull, 100 miles away.  Went down tested it, did a deal, picked it up the following week. happy bunny.

• Like 3

Had a test drive of the 4 gen and really liked it but with the two boys and my wife wanting a bigger car we went for the Rav 4. 

• Like 4

Did you get rid of both the Auris and the gen 4 .

4 hours ago, Bper said:

Did you get rid of both the Auris and the gen 4 .

Yes we did. 2nd hand car prices 12 months ago were high, they still are. So I took advantage of the situation.

• Like 2

My gen. 3 Yaris is 8 years old this year, and ticking along better than new. She's just getting new brakes fitted this week at 84000 miles.

The only reasons I'm changing it are: great resale value, and the gen. 4 drives and rides better. I'm sure going to miss it though. My first hybrid, and it has been awesome. 😍

• Like 5

6 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

My gen. 3 Yaris is 8 years old this year, and ticking along better than new. She's just getting new brakes fitted this week at 84000 miles.

The only reasons I'm changing it are: great resale value, and the gen. 4 drives and rides better. I'm sure going to miss it though. My first hybrid, and it has been awesome. 😍

Mine is coming to 7 years old in a few months, 50k miles, plenty of brake pads left. From what I have seen and heard, once the MK4 are in my hands, the MK3 will be a distance memory, it's a big upgrade. 

Did a week long trip to North Wales last year covering about 900 miles, it was hard work navigating the country/twisty roads with a full load.  Looking to plan a week long trip to Cornwall later this year, looking forward to the holiday, not the drive. 

• Like 3