Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Coming back - hopefully

Starensis

Hi all,

Not been on Yaris forum for a good while; my wife sold her mk4 and bought an Hyundai i10 last August. She has now however, decided she wants an auto car again due traffic to/from work. 

We went and looked at an 2019 Hybrid yesterday - which is a decent price. I really though cannot understand how previous owners leave cars in such a mess!
Rear bumper scratched ( a lot ), both front outer black door pillar trims are chipped down to primer, bonnet stone chips showing rust spots, seats heavily soiled………to name a few. Car has FSH ( I’ve been told ), 12 months MoT and just been serviced. Brakes, discs and tyres look good.
Dealer has obviously committed to rectifying most issues we’ve picked up.

My question is - do you think it’s worth continuing with purchase? We’ve driven it and it drives very well. My opinion is; let them repair what they can, then make a final decision. Problem is, I have to sell the i10 to help fund the Yaris.

Any other issues I need to look out for? 

Note - she has a budget limit, so a mk4 is not an option. I also have a C-HR, so hybrids are the norm for us. 

Look forward to your thoughts and comments. 👍👍

• Like 2

What is the price and trim level? It will be a step down from the mk4. But new MK4 design icon are around 18.1k and design with led is 19k (what I ordered). 

• Like 3

I would imagine most new car sales are not paid for outright nowadays. Hence, people probably don't worry too much about them!

With that many defects on a 2019, I would personally walk away. The right car will always come up for sale.

With those issue, lack of care, how else has it been treated!

I wish you well with a purchase, it's exciting and stressful all at the same time. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Mechanics and lack of rust has to be the priority. You'll slowly get used to the cosmetic imperfections. And it can be quite nice to have a car that isn't absolutely perfect. Then you won't be too upset if you add further marks of use on it. Presumably the dealer can knock off or has already taken the points you mention into account in the price.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

What is the price and trim level? It will be a step down from the mk4. But new MK4 design icon are around 18.1k and design with led is 19k (what I ordered). 

It’s an Icon-Tech. Sat nav and rear parking sensors. £14,750.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, APS said:

Mechanics and lack of rust has to be the priority. You'll slowly get used to the cosmetic imperfections. And it can be quite nice to have a car that isn't absolutely perfect. Then you won't be too upset if you add further marks of use on it. Presumably the dealer can knock off or has already taken the points you mention into account in the price.

I don’t have any real issues with mechanics or reliability on the 1.5L engine and CVT box. I know they’re bullet proof.

Dealer is re-spraying rear bumper, touching-up the rest and giving it 12 months before anything needs touching. They are also deep cleaning the interior, so, hopefully, it will scrub up. 👍

• Like 4

Adam, some years ago we bought our first secondhand car.  Our budget just stretched and it was as cheap as we could manage. 

It looked like sh*te.  I took the Missus to see it and it ran OK.  She was not impressed with the top show.  They assured us the car would be immaculate, or at least much better. 

When we picked it up it looked like new.  The paint gleamed and while we had it continued to look smart. 

Get the garage to see to the paintwork too. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Adam, some years ago we bought our first secondhand car.  Our budget just stretched and it was as cheap as we could manage. 

It looked like sh*te.  I took the Missus to see it and it ran OK.  She was not impressed with the top show.  They assured us the car would be immaculate, or at least much better. 

When we picked it up it looked like new.  The paint gleamed and while we had it continued to look smart. 

Get the garage to see to the paintwork too. 

I have asked them to give it a polish all over.
Only left a deposit, so if it’s not to our liking, I’ll have my deposit back. 👍

• Like 1

Don't know whether that is a decent price or not but it's near 15k. 19k can get a new design trim mark 4, but it's 4+k more which is a lot, then again a 2019 is about 4 years old dependent on registration date. 

Have you guys though about just getting something a bit older so you can get an excel trim, like a 65 plate and it's cheaper. I have a 2016 icon coming up to 5 years of ownership and there are no problem at all. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

Don't know whether that is a decent price or not but it's near 15k. 19k can get a new design trim mark 4, but it's 4+k more which is a lot, then again a 2019 is about 4 years old dependent on registration date. 

Have you guys though about just getting something a bit older so you can get an excel trim, like a 65 plate and it's cheaper. I have a 2016 icon coming up to 5 years of ownership and there are no problem at all. 

I have been looking at older versions, but 2016/7 plates are only £500-£800 cheaper than this 2019 plate. Excel specs can be as much as.

My logic is - my wife wouldn’t have a clue about most of the features, so Icon Tech spec is about right. Of course, if an older version came up which satisfied our pedantry, I’d look at it.

• Like 1

Some I quickly checked. All the best anyway. Screenshot_2023-03-11-19-54-15-369_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.18c470c25f860863d82c63c5c87ad29b.jpgScreenshot_2023-03-11-19-53-33-342_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.7080485e56b7d91d867ccab147199911.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Shop around a bit more Adam, have a good look at Mojos selection too. They seem to be a much better bet.

• Like 3

I have been on a few sites looking and tbh, even the older cars are top dollar. I also don’t really want to buy from a non-franchised dealer. Won’t buy from a Steven Eagell dealer either.

Went to look at a 17 plate the other day, they wouldn’t show me the car, then sales exec phoned me to try to sell me car without seeing it. His one comment which made my mind up was “ I’m telling you, this will go quick and Steven Eagell are the only dealership who offer a 10 year warranty”. I did put him right on that score and basically told him to shove his car. 😬

I’ll definitely keep an eye out though. Thanks for posting some examples. 👍👍

• Like 3

Trashed used cars 3 years old are usually ex notability scheme cars. They are ok mechanically but often been involved in crashes some smaller, some bigger and in some cases the owners had rectified the bigger one before returning the car. If me I would stay clear of car like that. Used car prices and particularly Toyota hybrids are out of reality these days. Mk4 basic speck on discount offer which they do now might be indeed a better option but if the budget does not allow perhaps mk3 will do it. A good look around for any signs of major accident repairs will be beneficial to avoid any future problems. Apart from that these cars are generally ok with a bit wearying interiors. That’s my experience as ex used car trader. 

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Trashed used cars 3 years old are usually ex notability scheme cars. They are ok mechanically but often been involved in crashes some smaller, some bigger and in some cases the owners had rectified the bigger one before returning the car. If me I would stay clear of car like that. Used car prices and particularly Toyota hybrids are out of reality these days. Mk4 basic speck on discount offer which they do now might be indeed a better option but if the budget does not allow perhaps mk3 will do it. A good look around for any signs of major accident repairs will be beneficial to avoid any future problems. Apart from that these cars are generally ok with a bit wearying interiors. That’s my experience as ex used car trader. 

It’s a one owner car and sold new by dealer I’m buying from - I’m told. There was a change on V5 in Jan 22 - which was apparently down the woman owner getting married.

I might be painting  a worse picture of this car than I meant to.
MoT history states it had done 36k on first MoT, then 3k the next 12 months to now; which I’m also told is down to owner moving abroad and husband using it as a back-up car only. Doesn’t add up tbh, but will be asking more questions next week for dealer to answer.

Sales exec I’m dealing with knows me well and have bought 3/4 cars off him over 4 or so years. He knows how pedantic and unrelenting I am, so hopefully, he has the answers.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

If I go to my local Toyota dealer, there are like a hundred immaculate used Yaris.  Why chose one that isn't unless it's remarkably cheap?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Yugguy1970 said:

If I go to my local Toyota dealer, there are like a hundred immaculate used Yaris.  Why chose one that isn't unless it's remarkably cheap?

There are a few, but none really that close to us. 17 plates in good condition are usually around £14k. 
I’ll see how this one scrubs up - if I still have doubts, I’ll walk away and keep looking. 👍

• Like 3

As its been limited to franchise dealers and local area then sometimes there's a premium to that. Non franchise dealers are fine if the car has full Toyota service history, the 10 years warranty still exist.

Willing to travel for a much cheaper deal is also key. My current Yaris I travelled 120 miles via train to get it, it was £1000 less than anywhere else from a non franchise garage with full Toyota service history. 

Almost 15k for base trim 4 year old MK3 is just too much. More value to pay 18.1k for a new base MK4. 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

As its been limited to franchise dealers and local area then sometimes there's a premium to that. Non franchise dealers are fine if the car has full Toyota service history, the 10 years warranty still exist.

Willing to travel for a much cheaper deal is also key. My current Yaris I travelled 120 miles via train to get it, it was £1000 cheaper than anywhere else from a non franchise garage with full Toyota service history. 

Almost 15k for base trim 4 year old MK3 is just too much. More value to pay 18.1k for a new base MK4. 

She did have a mk4 Yaris and loved it, but it was a “Friday car” and build quality was awful. Had to sell it in the end because it annoyed me too much.

I will still look at non-franchised, but as the wife works, we can only travel to view them at weekends. Often, the better ones go in the week.

I’m going to keep looking this week to see if there is anything as a decent alternative. I’ll also be contacting said dealer ( already sent a list of items to rectify ) to obtain V5 owner and service evidence. If it’s not 100% to our liking, we will walk away or ask for a decent discount.

• Like 1

Being so close to a new one, I'd save for a couple of months. Not worth paying that much for a used car, especially with the damage you described.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

Being so close to a new one, I'd save for a couple of months. Not worth paying that much for a used car, especially with the damage you described.

Precisely the point I was making, otherwise go the older and cost less route and still have better trim level.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

Don’t really want to spend more than £13/14k tbh. That is top end of budget. 19 plate is a bit more - hence my hesitation with its purchase. Know what you mean about a MK4 though. 

Been looking again today and there isn’t really anything around or below the 19 plate price ( solid white ) which looks a good deal. 

Think the next few days will decide whether we go ahead or not. Wife now is saying she’s not that bothered if we don’t have it. 🙄

• Like 1

Does it has to be a hybrid or other automatic cars been considered? 
For £13-14k a vw polo dsg 2019-2020 can be eventually found. I know, it’s crazy to recommend a dsg over a Toyota hybrid but the prices on hybrids these days are out of reality plus you have already a hybrid in the family. The other option is an electric car, which is same as the hybrid without the engine. Every time I try my gf e car I am waiting for this wruumm engine noise but it doesn’t happen and the car continues to drive quietly. Nissan Leaf perhaps or Zoe. Just my thoughts. 👍

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Does it has to be a hybrid or other automatic cars been considered? 
For £13-14k a vw polo dsg 2019-2020 can be eventually found. I know, it’s crazy to recommend a dsg over a Toyota hybrid but the prices on hybrids these days are out of reality plus you have already a hybrid in the family. The other option is an electric car, which is same as the hybrid without the engine. Every time I try my gf e car I am waiting for this wruumm engine noise but it doesn’t happen and the car continues to drive quietly. Nissan Leaf perhaps or Zoe. Just my thoughts. 👍

Was thinking of an Aygo X auto, but after driving one for a couple of days, I thought they were awful.

Auto is what she wants, along with decent mpg. As her journey to/from work is also stop/start in city centre traffic, the hybrid is a good option imo. I’m a bit annoyed as she had a mk3 1.5L auto before the mk4, albeit, not an hybrid. Didn’t like that much either. 

Weirdly, we do like the CVT box on the hybrids. Seem to make the drive a bit more smoother. 

Haven’t considered VW or EV tbh. I’m half thinking about keeping her 2017 i10 manual for a while longer now.

Thanks for the ideas and responses. It all helps make that vital decision in the end. 👍👍

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links