Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Cross - Any reports of carbon build-up?

jpswer

Hey all,

I currently am enjoying my 2012 Yaris 1.33, the one issue I've had over its many years service is carbon build up, initially it was so bad it needed a engine rebuild after completely refusing to start (under warranty thank goodness) then just occasionally needed a good old fashioned Italian tune up.

I'm soon to take delivery (hopefully) of a new Yaris Cross and didn't know if this was something I needed to keep my eyes and ears out for. Was planning on treating her to some nice premium fuel regardless.

Thank you!

Josh

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jpswer said:

Hey all,

I currently am enjoying my 2012 Yaris 1.33, the one issue I've had over its many years service is carbon build up, initially it was so bad it needed a engine rebuild after completely refusing to start (under warranty thank goodness) then just occasionally needed a good old fashioned Italian tune up.

I'm soon to take delivery (hopefully) of a new Yaris Cross and didn't know if this was something I needed to keep my eyes and ears out for. Was planning on treating her to some nice premium fuel regardless.

Thank you!

Josh

You shouldn’t get any at all Josh because they have port injection and not direct injection.  I would advise branded fuel (high grade better still) and regular oil changes.

Incidentally, I checked mine at about 1100 miles today and the oil is exactly where it was when I bought it so no usage and no dilution.

• Like 4

7000+ miles here, and no issues to report.

• Like 3

He probably  means built up on piston rings and high oil consumption on 1.33 engines, which are well known for. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

He probably  means built up on piston rings and high oil consumption on 1.33 engines, which are well known for. 

Exactly that 😀

7 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

7000+ miles here, and no issues to report.

Fab thank you

8 hours ago, anchorman said:

You shouldn’t get any at all Josh because they have port injection and not direct injection.  I would advise branded fuel (high grade better still) and regular oil changes.

Incidentally, I checked mine at about 1100 miles today and the oil is exactly where it was when I bought it so no usage and no dilution.

Super helpful thank you it's put the lingering thought to rest. 

Just the small matter of waiting  for the car now

• Like 2

I think they learned their lesson with the low-friction piston rings and stopped using them. The new 'dynamic force' engines are a lot more sensibly engineered and we haven't seen any major problems with them so far.

Given the way I drive I reckon I'm more likely than average to come across any issues with it, but it's been very strong so far! :naughty: (The damper plate connecting it to the hybrid system less so :whistling1: although try as I might I haven't been able to make it slip again so I can get them to put in the upgraded one!)

• Like 5

The 2012 1.33 is port injection, its must be oil consumption combined with the EGR system. We have a 2015 1.33 (later revision piston rings?) with 41,000 miles. No oil consumption, it starts & runs like a champ. Just replaced its original brakes at the weekend (5hrs work on the drive) as they were getting worn. Great cars these Yaris!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/13/2023 at 9:18 PM, Gray86 said:

The 2012 1.33 is port injection, its must be oil consumption combined with the EGR system. We have a 2015 1.33 (later revision piston rings?) with 41,000 miles. No oil consumption, it starts & runs like a champ. Just replaced its original brakes at the weekend (5hrs work on the drive) as they were getting worn. Great cars these Yaris!

I never seriously considered any other car after 10 years (mostly) trouble free!

• Like 2

The 1.33 is well known for carbon build up and stuck rings causing oil consumption

The M15A has been out a few years, the kinks have been ironed out - it will be a very different experience, as its 3 cylinders - hybrid is also a very different driving style, it will be a learning curve

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, flash22 said:

The 1.33 is well known for carbon build up and stuck rings causing oil consumption

The M15A has been out a few years, the kinks have been ironed out - it will be a very different experience, as its 3 cylinders - hybrid is also a very different driving style, it will be a learning curve

Massive change for me just going from manual to automatic! Totally will be a learning curve. I think I've got a smooth driving style anyway so it will just be a matter of getting that breaking right. Looking forward to getting started.

• Like 4

Biggest thing to get used to with a hybrid is that what the engine might be doing doesn't directly correspond with what the car is doing.  It will stop, start, rev high or low depending on drive power or charging needs

So you will be going uphill, the engine will be running higher rpm to provide drive and possible Battery charge, but as you approach the crest the revs will drop as less engine power is needed to maintain speed.  Subconsciously you will think the car is slowing down but it isn't.

Hybrid engines are designed for constant stop start so don't worry too much about carbon build up.

The great thing is that you can choose to maximise the mpg and get amazing results, or drive like an normal auto and still get amazing results. 

• Like 5

On 3/12/2023 at 9:45 PM, jpswer said:

Was planning on treating her to some nice premium fuel regardless.

Thank you!

Josh

Just on that note and it could be purely subjective, but I feel like the engine runs a bit quieter in the RAV when I've got premium in.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Yugguy1970 said:

Just on that note and it could be purely subjective, but I feel like the engine runs a bit quieter in the RAV when I've got premium in.

2 hours ago, Yugguy1970 said:

Biggest thing to get used to with a hybrid is that what the engine might be doing doesn't directly correspond with what the car is doing.  It will stop, start, rev high or low depending on drive power or charging needs

So you will be going uphill, the engine will be running higher rpm to provide drive and possible battery charge, but as you approach the crest the revs will drop as less engine power is needed to maintain speed.  Subconsciously you will think the car is slowing down but it isn't.

Hybrid engines are designed for constant stop start so don't worry too much about carbon build up.

The great thing is that you can choose to maximise the mpg and get amazing results, or drive like an normal auto and still get amazing results. 

Interesting insights thank you! Lots of trial and error involved for the first few weeks I suspect pressing lots of buttons 🤯

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Yugguy1970 said:

So you will be going uphill, the engine will be running higher rpm to provide drive and possible battery charge, but as you approach the crest the revs will drop as less engine power is needed to maintain speed.  Subconsciously you will think the car is slowing down but it isn't.

I found it funny the other day when I got home just to see what happened I tried to rev the engine while it was in park and all that happened was a warning on the dash that said the accelerator pedal was pressed the engine didn’t even start. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Ralph H said:

I found it funny the other day when I got home just to see what happened I tried to rev the engine while it was in park and all that happened was a warning on the dash that said the accelerator pedal was pressed the engine didn’t even start. 

Are you sure the car was in ready mode? Previous generation 3 hybrids if you step on the pedal the engine will start and you can even rev up to some extent, not as in standard cars but you can. Perhaps try again and fully press the accelerator to the bottom. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Are you sure the car was in ready mode? Previous generation 3 hybrids if you step on the pedal the engine will start and you can even rev up to some extent, not as in standard cars but you can. Perhaps try again and fully press the accelerator to the bottom. 

Definitely in ready mode as I had just parked up at home, the last bit of manoeuvring is usually done on Battery with the engine not running as the last down hill stretch charges the Battery enough to park up. I didn’t press the pedal all the way down, or more than a couple of times as I wasn’t sure what would happen. Perhaps more effort would have started the engine. I’ll try again another day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jpswer said:

Interesting insights thank you! Lots of trial and error involved for the first few weeks I suspect pressing lots of buttons 🤯

TBH the hybrids are exceedingly easy to drive, they don't have the annoying gear shifting delay robo-clutch automatics sometimes have, and they can't stall on steep hills or going up a kerb or something without enough power.

You'll settle in very easy I reckon, then once you're comfortable you can start experimenting with different driving styles and such. The Mk4 Yaris especially is a very naturally efficient car so you don't even need to really try to drive economically and it'll still get stupidly good mpg, especially as the weather improves (I think the best time to get a hybrid is in the winter as they'll return decent mpg but then the mpg just starts climbing until you get to summer and it's a very nice feeling :biggrin:  Going the other way can be quite painful, as the mpg difference can be quite big, esp. on the newer more efficient cars!)

The disconnect between engine speed and acceleration is a bit weird tho' coming from a manual, and trying to remember you don't need to push the clutch in when braking also takes some getting used to :laugh: (I had a slightly sore left foot initially as I kept going for the clutch and hitting the dead pedal instead :laugh: )

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Ralph H said:

Aye.  You can force it to start sometimes by pressing harder but as soon as you come off the accelerator it's like No, nope, I'm stopping. 😁

• Like 6

How I discovered that engine kicks in when the accelerator been pressed.
I was in P waiting longer in standstill traffic and forgot I am in P, I stepped on  the pedal and the engine started with the typical slight push from the drive train and the feeling was very confusing., the car obviously didn’t move.  
When we can use this functionality, for example on cold starts when you notice rough engine , knocking or anything abnormal if you press the accelerator further to rise the rpm the knocking will stop.
This applies to gen 3 hybrids and particularly early 1.8 2010-2013., for others and gen 4 if any of you ever have  similar problems can try my method and see if it helps, usually the problem is cause by blocked egr system. 
While in maintenance mode if you press half way the rpm can rise higher and if you floor it can go up to around 3500-4000 rpm.  I do sometimes fast idle at around 2000rpm for 2-4 minutes when using engine flush. When playing with accelerator the hybrid Battery still gets charged, even in maintenance mode. 👍

• Like 5

9 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

How I discovered that engine kicks in when the accelerator been pressed.
I was in P waiting longer in standstill traffic and forgot I am in P, I stepped on  the pedal and the engine started with the typical slight push from the drive train and the feeling was very confusing., the car obviously didn’t move.  
When we can use this functionality, for example on cold starts when you notice rough engine , knocking or anything abnormal if you press the accelerator further to rise the rpm the knocking will stop.
This applies to gen 3 hybrids and particularly early 1.8 2010-2013., for others and gen 4 if any of you ever have  similar problems can try my method and see if it helps, usually the problem is cause by blocked egr system. 
While in maintenance mode if you press half way the rpm can rise higher and if you floor it can go up to around 3500-4000 rpm.  I do sometimes fast idle at around 2000rpm for 2-4 minutes when using engine flush. When playing with accelerator the hybrid battery still gets charged, even in maintenance mode. 👍

Tried this morning on cold start and it does exactly as you say get the pedal half way down and the revs increase, i’m guessing 2500-3000 rpm pushed pedal all the way past the click at the end of the travel but it didn’t get any faster 

• Thanks 1

All modern cars are computers on wheels and basically you make requests to the computer, "Hey do you mind if I put the brakes on", and if it feels like it it will let you.

Braking and accelerator have been drive by wire for years now and steering, the last of the physical connections, is going that way too.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Yugguy1970 said:

All modern cars are computers on wheels and basically you make requests to the computer, "Hey do you mind if I put the brakes on", and if it feels like it it will let you.

Braking and accelerator have been drive by wire for years now and steering, the last of the physical connections, is going that way too.

Indeed 👍 

My old Auris has 21 ecu’s, yours later models perhaps 30 or more.
Every time I try a newer car I like a lot but also I appreciate more and more the older ones and particularly some that are built well and offer more enjoyment and plusher ride although we’ll used. All car enthusiasts with garage and money an old school car (s) will be a good investment. Anything you like. 

• Like 3