Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lane departure alert

RabButler

I admit defeat. Can someone tell me how to permanently switch off the wheel grabbing LDA?

Should be press and holding the LTA button for a few seconds. Have to do it each time the engine start as its cannot be switch off permanently. 

Yes indeed. But the next time you start the car you have to go through the same procedure. 6 or 7 button presses. The manual says that it is part of "My settings", but I can't find any reference to it on the multimedia screen.

Mine stays on the last setting used so if I turn it off it stays off. However last week I had a 22 reg CHR loan car and noticed the lane alert kept coming back on so maybe this is now the default setting on new models?

There is no LTA button on the steering wheel then? 

Newer model stays on each start up, I'm getting a new Yaris end of the year, this will be a hassle, though the button is on the steering wheel. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

Deleted 

So if I were to buy a new Toyota then before I could drive off I'd need to:

• Switch brake hold on.
  • Switch off LTA.

And at some point in the journey probably turn CC on.

Why can't Toyota design a car where the controls remain in the state they were when the vehicle is switched off? Am I going to start needing a checklist to run through every time I want to set off?

And to clarify: Does this LTA mean it will attempt to counteract my steering? Because having that on by default sounds like a really bad idea.

• Like 2

If it thinks you're going to veer off the road it will gently try and steer you back into where it thinks the lane is. It works in ideal situations, but like all of these autonomous functions doesn't work great in the real world. It often tries to steer me into parked vehicles but just holding the steering wheel firmly is enough for it to understand I don't want to be in a horrible crash and it backs off. It's just another thing to adapt to and compensate for, like stopping the car from veering into the pavement due to deep ruts in the tarmac from HGVs and busses.

Just integrate it into your routine and it'll be second nature. The more functions cars gain the more things you will need to control, that's just how it is. I quite like toggling all this stuff off and on as I drive, but I may have some mild form of ADHD :laugh: 

That said, if this sort of thing annoys you that much, if you wait long enough there will be cars where you won't even need to turn the steering wheel or press the pedals to make it work - You'll just need to turn it on and tell it where you want to go!

• Like 2

Not convinced my Yaris Cross has automatic LDA.  I need to switch it On

16 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

So if I were to buy a new Toyota then before I could drive off I'd need to:

• Switch brake hold on.
  • Switch off LTA.

And at some point in the journey probably turn CC on.

Why can't Toyota design a car where the controls remain in the state they were when the vehicle is switched off? Am I going to start needing a checklist to run through every time I want to set off?

And to clarify: Does this LTA mean it will attempt to counteract my steering? Because having that on by default sounds like a really bad idea.

The electronic parking should go off when lightly using the gas pedal. It's the LTA that will bug me being in the capital. It's to do with the NCAP safety rating that they do this. 

I guess this is a new model thing? Mine is never on unless I press the button.

I don't like it, so I'd find it being on unless I turned it off annoying.

I remember test driving mine and didn't realise it was on, I was all ready to take it back and point out it had an alignment problem.

• Like 1

It can be turned of permanently on the MY22 Corolla. Its in the settings using the steering wheel displayed on the instrument cluster not media system.. First thing I did was turn it off and it has never came back on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I hope it can be permanently turned off on all cars. My Corolla is the third car I’ve had with it on & I only ever use it on dual carriage ways. It’s frightening in narrow roads where it tries to steer you into oncoming traffic.

As for the brake hold having to be set at every engine start, will, I’ve already had a moan about that.

• Like 2

I only use mine in narrow motorway roadwork sections where I find it does give some reassurance but very often the road markings are so poor the camera system loses the lines. Where I really don’t like it however is when joining a fast road or motorway with bends because it’s almost like the feeling when you are about to lose grip in icy conditions.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Swanthecat said:

very often the road markings are so poor the camera system loses the lines. 

Lane definition is key.  Bad weather, night etc all degrade the system. 

• Like 2

First thing I do is hold the button for 3 seconds.

I tried it "in anger" on the Yaris, and I went past a slowly diverging slip road off a dual carriageway, and it seemed to be tracking the solid white line. I didn't wait to see if it was going to drag me off into the slip road.

It could allegedly see both left and right lane lines, and the dashed line of the slip road was clear, but it seemed to be tracking the solid line at the left, and ignoring that the right line was diverging.

Needless to say, I now consider it unreliable. I'm not sure I'd trust it using only the centerline for tracking.

I actually find it quite stressful to use. Much easier to switch it off. The car drives very well anyway, and requires almost zero cognitive effort to steer compared to monitoring the performance of LTA. I also have quite a light touch on the wheel, and LTA sometimes thinks I'm not holding the wheel (not grip, but torque force). I'm sensitive to its motions and apparently don't "fight" it enough. I noticed it will deliberately wander to see if I correct it; that's when it alerts for me to hold the wheel.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

Page 259 onward of attached full owners manual

OM12Q65E_v2.pdf 120.99 MB · 7 downloads

I have read the relevant bits in the manual and turned off the LDA. However, next time you start the car it is enabled. It seems bizarre that Toyota emphasise in the manual that you should not rely on the "safety" systems and then make it so difficult to turn them off. I have managed to permanently switch off the proactive driving assist (PDA) after it stopped the car and prevented me driving past a parked vehicle. It confused me, so I can only imagine what it did to the driver of the car behind me.

• Like 1

This is what happens when Government get involved. LTA is now required, but the technology is immature. The wording in the docs is the "get out clause" on liability.

Like the meme says, "cars must be roadworthy, so why aren't the roads carworthy?".

• Like 2

On mine the LTA is off and never auto-on after starting.  So must be on newer models being default - like the stop/start on ICE cars... which was always a pain but was for environmental issues.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links