Do Not Sell My Personal Information

bodywork? Crash damage -front bumper/wing

Mikes1992u

I'm current waiting for insurance stuff to go through but I suspect they may write it off. But I'm seriously considering buying it back and repairing it as there's no serious damage to the car

The parts will come to about £300 if I buy them myself. I was just wondering if anybody had any tips about anything extra I may need? Like fittings, screws/bolts and clips?

The parts will come to about £300 if I buy them myself. I need a headlight (£90 for a Valeo) a wing (£32) a wheel arch liner (£12) a bumper (£110) and a washer fluid bottle (£45 directly from Toyota). 

20230311_100726.thumb.jpg.6ebaaea25c8eb2ec33448414a43dfd7e.jpg

20230311_100216.thumb.jpg.be3853e54633a93cc60f8bf970697af5.jpg

I'm also not sure if I can request the scratches on the alloy are not fixed as it's only cosmetic... It's definitely something I'll tell the garage before the evaluation. I've never had a claim before so have no idea what say I have towards the repairs.

In todays, "Throw away, I don't give a toss " mentality, I reckon they will write that off.

As long as there is no structural damage to the cars subframe etc, that should be a bolt off and bolt on job and if you are lucky, you may find the same colour panels.

Good luck.

• Like 4

It's a shame you can't get insurance policies that gaurantee repairs upto a chosen amount rather then being based on the market value guide they use. This car sells for about £3,000 but to me it's worth allot more. Considering the age and mileage though (104,500 miles), £3,000 is quite allot for an Aygo with 100,000+ miles. I reckon the insurance company will value it around £2,500 though despite all the same age/mileage Aygo's I looked at being around £3k. I cant imagine any of those have had oil changes and services every 5,000 miles though. I'm gutted, I just hope I can get my partner on board if it does work out cheaper to buy and repair it. I reckon the thing that will kill it is you need to renew the policy with that insurance company and I can't imagine it will be cheap and I have no idea what the salvage price will be. 

• Like 1

Should I bring up with the insurance that this car in 4R8 Orange is selling for £4,500-£6,000? I noticed all the cheap Aygo's was black or White and it made me curious if colour had an effect on value...

• Like 1

You ALWAYS have to fight your corner when insurance companies pay out.  I've "heard" you should never accept their first offer.  Get all your cards in order to get a better price.  Do NOT mention ANY upgrades or changes that you have done to the car UNLESS you have previously informed them, otherwise you could put your foot in it and they may not pay out at all 

• Like 2

Yeah, they will almost always low-ball you - Go to different websites, autotrader, exchange and mart, toyota etc. and get as many links as you can to similar cars, the closer the match the better, esp trim level and mileage (And since you mention it, colour too, if it makes a difference) to get them to increase the payout.

They're supposed to pay fair market value, so if you can strongly show the market value is higher than what they are offering, they are obliged to increase their offer.

I told my brother to do this for his BMW and he got them to up the payout by a couple grand!

• Like 1

The repairs have been approved by the insurance company, I'm quite surprised as it has 105,000 miles on the clock. The car is (or was) in immaculate condition though. I thought I may have been wasting my time but I did give the interior a deep clean including the fabrics and roof liner. I wanted to mechanics to feel guilty if they wrote it off as it does feel like you're getting into a brand new car. 😅

Not sure if it matters but I'm with Sheila's wheels, part of Esure. This isn't an endorsement, I just went with them because it was £180 for the year Vs £330 with Hastings. I'm kicking myself for not paying the extra £20 odd for protected no claims though 😞

• Like 5

Well, I'm blowed and absolutely surprised.  I've had friends in much newer cars with similar damage and have been written off !!.

Shocked that you did not protect your NCB !!!

Anyway, a good result for you 👍

• Like 5

Insuring a car its tricky and the cheapest possible option it is  never a good deal. NCB protection and legal expense are must have. On some policy there is a option to choose to wave your excess in an event of a certain claims which is also a good idea. Good insurances I had dealt previously and made claims are Aviva and Adrian Flux brokers. 
If they fix the car for you then it’s all ok and it won’t be recorded as written off, you can sell it after and buy another one if fancy a change. 

• Like 4

I must admit I've never opted into NCB protection. If the accident is not caused by you, then you don't need it anyway.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wiz201 said:

I must admit I've never opted into NCB protection. If the accident is not caused by you, then you don't need it anyway.

Hmm, I'm not sure about that !!!  Either way, I ALWAYS opt in for Legal Aid and Protected NCB.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Wiz201 said:

No Claims Bonus - or Discount - (NCB) protection doesn't prevent one's premium increasing in the event of a claim - whether your fault or not.

What it does do is protect the percentage of NCB you have. For example, in the event of a claim:

1). Without NCB protection, whether or not your premium increases, you may lose a portion of your NCB - ie. your NCB may reduce from, say, 70% to 50%, so you end up paying more because your NCB is reduced.

2). With NCB protection you may not lose any NCB or, depending on claims history, a smaller percentage loss.

With my current insurer, if I have 9 years unprotected NCB and make 1 claim, I would lose 4 years NCB.

With protected NCB, my NCB won't reduce regardless of the number of claims I make.

This may vary depending who you're insured with.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

No Claims Bonus - or Discount - (NCB) protection doesn't prevent one's premium increasing in the event of a claim - whether your fault or not.

21 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

And that is what some people do not realise. 

Not only that, but a no fault claim may be seen as evidence of greater risk and lead to an additional premium. 

For instance, being hit in a car park, even with the other party paying, suggests you might park in more hazardous places. 

• Like 1

I had a major accident with a Honda Jazz, the other driver wrote it off. Admiral at the time decided the other driver was at fault. My no claims bonus was protected.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wiz201 said:

I had a major accident with a Honda Jazz, the other driver wrote it off. Admiral at the time decided the other driver was at fault. My no claims bonus was protected.

In the case of a non fault accident, ideally that is the way it should work. 

However, bear in mind the NCB is a bonus or discount given if no claims are made - which doesn't differentiate where blame is decided.

So where a non fault claim is made, some insurers will increase premiums where a claim is made, regardless of blame. 

• Like 2

I think premiums can raise regardless of claims being made or not, netherless I've never seen a benefit to paying extra for ncb protection 🙂 

'You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink ...'

I remember a episode of Laurel & Hardy, when Stan said "You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead"🤣

• Haha 1

Currently driving around in an 23 plate hyundai i20 1L 48v mhev I got as my courtesy car. I was quite surprised the electric motor is an 11kw reversible alternator which drives the crank shaft through the Auxiliary belt (or in this case, drive belt?). I can't say I'd buy one though, to say it's got a mild hybrid system it's only getting around 50-60mpg (55mpg average). The lane assist was scary at first 😅 but I've got a bit more used to it. The thing I really don't like is when you lift off the throttle it either slams on the regen or goes into engine off coasting (sailing) mode and it's pretty much completely out of your control as there's no settings for the regen/coasting, so it's a roll of the dice whether the car will engage regen braking or start coasting. The regen braking is pretty aggressive when you lift off too. Also with it being a manual if you use the brake peddle with it in gear it uses the regen braking, as soon as you press the clutch there's a moment the car stops braking and the mechanical brakes slowly lag into action and take over from the alternators regen.

I'm not being picky but it certainly isn't a car I would choose to buy. It's an interesting experience ☺️.

I've had an i20 mild hybrid and a Bayon as courtesy cars when our i20 has been serviced, and not had an issue with either. Not bothered about the fuel economy - it does what it does.

• Like 1

It's all done now and very happy with the results.

20230331_155633.thumb.jpg.40a69142e66e101197ece57d6db90734.jpg20230331_155638.thumb.jpg.37291c8cd4aaebfe6b455ac567c074dc.jpg20230331_155809.thumb.jpg.4de3819da930ff09477482ab0e606e43.jpg 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Looks really good.

• Like 3

A bit late but insurance is currently repairing up to 75% of market value and in some cases this has been higher.

There is a shortage of cars available on the market and prices have risen so more cars are being repaired than before.

I must say though, you have been very fortunate to get you car repaired in such a short time as there is currently a back log of damaged vehicles to be repaired.

• Like 4