Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Drive Shaft

Attila 86

Hello everyone!

I recently found out that I need to replace my drive shaft. Does anyone have any experience with this and could recommend which brand to choose?

Unfortunately, there are not many options available at the moment for my Auris.

I'm considering a few brands such as GSP, NTY, Spidan, and ERA, but I should note that Spidan and ERA are remanufactured.

Hi, 

how did you discovered that you need to change a driveshaft?
Which one is outer or inner?  What is the mileage of the car? Has it been serviced regularly in Toyota? 

Recently, I have noticed a strange noise while turning sharp corners at low speeds. I removed the tires and carefully examined the car on a jack stand while put in low gear and turning the steering back and forth. It appears that the noise is coming from the outer CV joint, which I was hoping was just a problem with the boot, but unfortunately it is not. I tried cleaning and lubricating the joint externally, but this did not resolve the issue. The car has been regularly serviced by the main dealer, except for the most recent service which I took care of myself. I like to repair cars and have fixed a few over the years, and I have kept up with regular maintenance. The mileage on the car is just under 120,000 miles and I have not needed to replace any major parts during this time. I believe that this problem is just starting now and the only thing I have needed to replace is the brake pads and disc, which is not a big deal.

• Like 1

Now as I have to take apart the whole suspension system I willing too replace every key thing at once rather than every half a year something related to it, and sit back for a while again.
Like Bearings, Suspension, Steering rod end, Stabiliser link, Lower ball joint...

So if you or anybody have experience with aftermarket parts it would be grateful to hear about.

18 minutes ago, Attila 86 said:

Now as I have to take apart the whole suspension system I willing too replace every key thing at once rather than every half a year something related to it, and sit back for a while again.
Like Bearings, Suspension, Steering rod end, Stabiliser link, Lower ball joint...

So if you or anybody have experience with aftermarket parts it would be grateful to hear about.

Hi, 

if you believe the outer cv joint its gone only replace with original Toyota new or the whole axle as used from another car. eBay or scrap yard nearby.
Best not to use an  aftermarket cv joints or axles as the risk of getting vibrations afterwards is high.
There is no need to replace anything else unless clearly is broken.  
Some parts may look slightly wearing off but they will last probably longer than if you replace with any new aftermarket. However if you decide to use new aftermarket good quality brands are blueprint, febi, trw, first line. 
I can suggest to open the cv joint, clean everything thoroughly , measure it and fit it together without grease to check tolerances and any excess movement and knock and if everything it’s ok just buy new original boot and grease and put back all together. Job done with more hand work then parts and money spent , and lastly but not least done the right way . 👍  

Thanks for your advice

1 hour ago, Attila 86 said:

Thanks for your advice

You are welcome 👍

Not sure if the Auris CV joints are replaceable or you have to buy the whole shaft. I did a CV joint on my old 2004 Corolla, it wasn't replaceable. I found out the hard way, lots of hammering and pulling with the CV joint pulling tool and lots of swearing. Toyota quoted me £1200 for both side, I ended up slice them out with a angle grinder.

Bought an after market pair and re-built it, that was in 2017, £65, kit came with everything you need to rebuild. Make sure you measure the grease, too much or too little is not good, I think it was 110g for the Corolla, check the service manual to confirm.