Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Space saver wheel

Macca 123

Having recently bought an estima hybrid I was wondering if anyone had put a space saver tyre in the boot.

My arrived without the air pump and fluid which is usually stored with the Battery in the rear and also I'm not a big fan of the puncture repair fluid so would like a space saver tyre instead. Measuring up the void in the boot I think a 16 inch on will just fit has anyone retro fitted one and if so what wheel did you use ie what did it come from originally as Estima ones are very rare.

On  a different note, mine arrived with snow tyres on which was a shame. It had a problem of it pulling to the right whilst driving even though it had past it's mot a week before. Had the tracking checked which was out a bit but it still pulled. It was suggested the that the tyres were replaced as the mechanic had had a similar incident with a camper van that had been sat around for a while. All four tyres changed and hey presto it drives straight. 

• Like 1

Be interested in the replies as I am thinking along the same lines, I do have the inflator with the gunge in it but looking at a chap in the tyre shops shredded tyre this morning it would not be much use. Dont mind a full size wheel and would buy a tyre bag to keep everything clean.

• Like 2

Bear in mind the puncture repair fluid may have had a 'use by date', which may be why it was missing from your car.

• Like 2

Given the size of the Estima, I think keeping a spare in it is a no-brainer :laugh: 

The goop only works for centre-3/4s punctures but a spare tyre will work for anything including sidewall damage and a cracked rim! 

Plus even with a normal puncture, if you slap the spare on, you might be able to get the puncture repaired, but if you use goop 90% of garages will only replace the tyre even if it's repairable, as they don't want to get the goop on themselves and their gear trying to clean it out.

I do wish tyre manufacturers would make all of their tyres self-sealing tho'. It annoys me in this other thread we're talking about the increasingly obnoxiously intrusive and expensive safety devices being mandated by government but they don't mandate anything about tyres being made safer!

• Like 1

Always carry my tyre plugging set, got me out of trouble no end of times, especially !Removed! builders vans that spew out a few screws and nails every time they open the door 😡

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2023 at 4:26 PM, Macca 123 said:

Having recently bought an estima hybrid I was wondering if anyone had put a space saver tyre in the boot.

My arrived without the air pump and fluid which is usually stored with the battery in the rear and also I'm not a big fan of the puncture repair fluid so would like a space saver tyre instead. Measuring up the void in the boot I think a 16 inch on will just fit has anyone retro fitted one and if so what wheel did you use ie what did it come from originally as Estima ones are very rare.

On  a different note, mine arrived with snow tyres on which was a shame. It had a problem of it pulling to the right whilst driving even though it had past it's mot a week before. Had the tracking checked which was out a bit but it still pulled. It was suggested the that the tyres were replaced as the mechanic had had a similar incident with a camper van that had been sat around for a while. All four tyres changed and hey presto it drives straight. 

Just as a way of follow up I went for a space saving tyre. I found that Audi rims are very close to the Toyota ones. The stud configuration is the same but I had to slightly open the center hub hole a little. Audi wheel was 60mm but you need 61.5mm for the Toyota. 

• Like 2

I went with a toyota alloy 7j rim with std tyre is a 225 x 50 x 18 as are my tyres. width is 220mm wide, how wide is a safety spare?