Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Cross extremes

TopGeek

This is my first post in this group so please forgive me for my exitement with my new car.

I've had my first Toyota for just over a week and I'm finding it to be a strange mix of advanced technology and basic utilities. Overall, I'm very pleased with it so far.

I traded-in my 2010 Qashqai Executive (which I loved dearly) and bought the Yaris Cross on spec because there was no equivalent model available to examine or test drive. I did though go for a drive in a basic model and was very impressed.

The version I chose is the Adventure with the Comfort Pack. I'm not sure if those names are known in the UK as I live in Belgium.

The things I like, so far, are the sophsticated electronics, too extensive to comment on here but I love things like the head-up-display, blind-spot detection and the lateral detection in reverse.

The things I don't like are the helicopter noises when I put it in reverse to back out of the garage, the absense of rear-seat lighting and the primitive fabric load cover, instead of a firm parcel shelf. The dealer says he has never seen a Yaris Cross with a solid parcel shelf but I see salvaged ones advertised on eBay at extortionate prices. I wrote to Toyota Begium to ask if there is such a thing but they havent replied yet.

Well, those are my first impressions fwiw.

• Like 3

Howdo.  They're all a bit like that.  My RAV has all the hybrid tech and self cruise and self steer and all that.  But didn't have lighted window switches inside.

• Like 1

It's listed as a Tonneau cover

Part number i have is 64910-0D050

Thanks for the suggestion Bob but that is a pull-out cover. I'm looking for a rigid parcel shelf.

Hi

How long did you waited for your yaris cross? I must wait 1 year:sad: Ordered sport trim. I think is one below yours. 
Welcome to the forum and salute from Slovenia 🇸🇮 

Wow Marjan, that's a long wait. There must be a specific reason, such as certain components in your spec being in short supply.

Mine was ordered 20th Nov and the sheduled delivery date was 28th Feb. I actually took delivery 27th Feb so it was a week over 3 months.

Interesting that you are in Slovenia. I've just ordered a boot tray from Gledring in Slovenia.

1 hour ago, TopGeek said:

Wow Marjan, that's a long wait. There must be a specific reason, such as certain components in your spec being in short supply.

Mine was ordered 20th Nov and the sheduled delivery date was 28th Feb. I actually took delivery 27th Feb so it was a week over 3 months.

Interesting that you are in Slovenia. I've just ordered a boot tray from Gledring in Slovenia.

Wow,this was fast. The only thing that i added is assist pack-park sensors,blind spot warning. Still is way to long imo 😞

Enjoy and have fun with the car🙂

In the UK you can get a Cross as quickly as a month, but if you change the spec it becomes 2-4 months.

I'll be waiting about 10 months for my Yaris. I ordered it a few weeks ago.

10 hours ago, TopGeek said:

head-up-display

AFAIK that was only offered on the Launch edition here.

10 hours ago, TopGeek said:

The things I don't like are the helicopter noises when I put it in reverse

That's the pedestrian warning noise. Some call it "UFO mode". It only operates at low speed in EV mode to make the car more obvious.

• Like 1

I do wish you could change that sound; I'd love to swap it for a dirty V8 or some old-school impreza burble as London pedestrians have been trained to recognize those as "Boy Racer Danger" and take notice (Rather than ignore the wrird UFO sound!)

Although maybe not as I get the impression that's like a red cloak to a bull for anchs and I don't want him chasing me around the countryside shaking his fist at me!! :eek: :laugh: 

• Haha 2

I’ve never heard a helicopter that sounds like that if you’re talking about the noise generator.   However, I did recognise the poor lighting.  I changed the interior light bulbs and added a rear light.  In other words you can get around it.  

8A124273-90E3-48CF-9058-5FE7B2AF5A21.jpeg

520DFC0A-E5D1-480A-A65C-FBBE97785358.jpeg

• Like 1

On 3/17/2023 at 2:41 PM, Yugguy1970 said:

Howdo.  They're all a bit like that.  My RAV has all the hybrid tech and self cruise and self steer and all that.  But didn't have lighted window switches inside.

Yes...some things are very strange in Toyotas... my cross has a hard armrest on the doors (your elbow will hurt after 10 minutes) or an auto headlights switch is placed under the steering wheel on the bottom left...when you pick a bottle from door pocket you hit that switch every time and not only that but when you want to press in, you must learn to reach it and not paying attention to driving for a sec or two.

And anchorman well noted, light for back passengers? Not important. Much more important is light for the feet and they shine only when your car is off...Brilliant. 😄 why have light for the back seats when you have stuff on the back seats to unload? Or kids. I know, it's only yaris, but this same yaris has matrix lights, lane keep assist, tpms, electric 5th door etc but light for the back seats? noooo. we need to go cheep somewhere..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, RobertR said:

Yes...some things are very strange in Toyotas... my cross has a hard armrest on the doors (your elbow will hurt after 10 minutes) or an auto headlights switch is placed under the steering wheel on the bottom left...when you pick a bottle from door pocket you hit that switch every time and not only that but when you want to press in, you must learn to reach it and not paying attention to driving for a sec or two.

It’s funny how different things trouble different owners.  I always carry a bottle in the door pocket and I’ve never caught any of those lower switches.  In fact the position of the auto headlight switch irritate me in the Mk4 Yaris but not in the cross.  Not the most convenient but I can find it even in the dark if you’ll pardon the expression.  The armrest has never bothered me either - maybe because I sit right back???

• Like 1

Yeah I've never really understood the need to have a dull light on your feet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yugguy1970 said:

It's to help locate the clutch pedal in the dark. 😉

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, RobertR said:

And anchorman well noted, light for back passengers? Not important. Much more important is light for the feet and they shine only when your car is off...Brilliant. 😄 why have light for the back seats when you have stuff on the back seats to unload? Or kids. I know, it's only yaris, but this same yaris has matrix lights, lane keep assist, tpms, electric 5th door etc but light for the back seats? noooo. we need to go cheep somewhere..

Yeah it is a very 'Toyota' thing all of these idiosyncrasies, like building a car for maximum economy, reducing the weight by switching to lithium, removing sound deadening and even making the door skins super thin and tinny... then they throw all that work away putting on giant rims that cancels out the mpg they gained from all the weightsaving :laugh: 

It's just something you get used to with them...

On 3/19/2023 at 1:28 PM, anchorman said:

I’ve never heard a helicopter that sounds like that if you’re talking about the noise generator.   However, I did recognise the poor lighting.  I changed the interior light bulbs and added a rear light.  In other words you can get around it.  

8A124273-90E3-48CF-9058-5FE7B2AF5A21.jpeg

520DFC0A-E5D1-480A-A65C-FBBE97785358.jpeg

Does the center lighting accept W5W bulbs?

A while back I saw a video that showed them to be surface mount LEDs on a board and not replaceable?! I'll change ours if they can be changed! We currently use the vanity mirror lights as they're much brighter! 😂

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Yugguy1970 said:

I like them. Useful if you ever drop anything.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

Not so much help when its your guts  😉

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

Not so much help when its your guts  😉

Uhh...?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

Uhh...?

Have you never heard the old saying -

"Dropped your guts" = Farted.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Max_Headroom said:

Oh... no, I haven't. 😂

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

Does the center lighting accept W5W bulbs?

A while back I saw a video that showed them to be surface mount LEDs on a board and not replaceable?! I'll change ours if they can be changed! We currently use the vanity mirror lights as they're much brighter! 😂

Yes, just normal 501s but getting the light down isn’t that easy.  You’ll think it’s going to break.  I posted a video but can’t find it - maybe somebody can.  Cyker is good at saving things???

• Like 1

Challenge Accepted! :biggrin:

38 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

I actually thought that meant something more serious...!! :eek: 

10 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

Aye, I just think if they need to keep costs down a rear courtesy is more useful.

Probably costs more thinking about it though.