Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auto-dimming rear view mirror

Nakamotoyo

Has anybody retrofitted an auto dimming rear view mirror to the newer yaris models? If so, is it an easy job? The design spec doesn't have it as standard so was considering getting one off eBay and feeding it into the wiring for the RSA camera behind the mirror?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nakamotoyo said:

Has anybody retrofitted an auto dimming rear view mirror to the newer yaris models? If so, is it an easy job? The design spec doesn't have it as standard so was considering getting one off ebay and feeding it into the wiring for the RSA camera behind the mirror?

I’ve actually taken my auto dipping mirror off.  It really didn’t work very well in my opinion, particularly with LED headlights on well lit roads, it just didn’t dip.  They are also useless in daylight when you’ve got vehicles with headlights on.  I wouldn’t be in a big hurry but it’s up to you.  One person said they liked theirs.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, anchorman said:

I’ve actually taken my auto dipping mirror off.  It really didn’t work very well in my opinion, particularly with LED headlights on well lit roads, it just didn’t dip.  They are also useless in daylight when you’ve got vehicles with headlights on.  I wouldn’t be in a big hurry but it’s up to you.  One person said they liked theirs.  

Wouldn't it have been easier to just hit the 'auto' button to turn it off?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nakamotoyo said:

Wouldn't it have been easier to just hit the 'auto' button to turn it off?

No because you can’t dip it.  I need a button to turn it fully dipped. 

• Like 1

Yeah, the auto button turns it off but it's normally off anyway so it's not helpful; The problem is they don't always dim even if you're being blinded by someone behind.

They really need a button to force them on (i.e. to dim) to be functionally similar to a normal manual mirror, but for some weird reason no auto-dimming mirror I've seen has such a feature!

Only the tinted windows does mess a bit with the work on the dimming function but the mirror generally speaking works well when someone has a bright lights behind. I rather have one than not, must have option in any car. Here helpful information 

• Like 2

Curious about this, too!

I'm late to the party and most of the options/goodies disappeared. I'm seriously questioning why when something like the mirror is on other models. I can't even understand why they removed the pan roof.

It works well on my Mk.3.

• Like 1

I reckon the auto dim in my Prius worked really well, and it works well in my Fabia. I’m happy, don’t have to keep reaching up to flick a lever, and don’t need another button to press.

• Like 4

You could take out the mirror altogether from the standard mk4 Yaris as rear visibility is very poor anyway (that could be why the auto dim doesn’t work very well) the high rear window and massive quarter panels create large blind spots. Mine has the blind spot monitors fitted which have saved me a few times especially when joining motorways as whole vehicles can be hidden from view. looking over your shoulder is essential in this situation and even then you can’t see past the rear quarters. Add the reversing camera and that makes the interior mirror almost redundant.

• Like 2

As a direct result of this thread I’ve re fitted my auto dipping mirror (only takes 5 minutes) but added a sliding webcam window over the light sensor.  It seems to work ok but I’ll report back.  

• Like 1

Personally, I like the auto dimming function. It would be great if this option could be fitted to the side mirrors too.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Big_D said:

Personally, I like the auto dimming function. It would be great if this option could be fitted to the side mirrors too.

+1 for that. I have seen large Volvo and Mercedes’ cars has this and it’s great especially for regular night drivers. My Auris has a tint on the side mirrors but just that, not auto dimming like the interior one.
I like those American rav4 s that has super loaded mirrors with option to flip to be a rear vie camera while driving forward, really good one 👍

• Like 5

My RAV4 has an auto dipping mirror as standard, great driving aid, can't imagine having to manually dip a mirror now, downright dangerous 😃😃

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

Sorry for the late post, but any way to have this set to off by default? Mine always turns on when starting the car, but I honestly prefer the view without it at night and would just like the option to press it on if blinded by bright lights.

2 hours ago, Jules88 said:

Sorry for the late post, but any way to have this set to off by default? Mine always turns on when starting the car, but I honestly prefer the view without it at night and would just like the option to press it on if blinded by bright lights.

No.

• Like 1