Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2023 RAV4 Steering Wheel does not return to center!

Nikina

After test driving my new 2023 RAV4 FWD, I immediately noticed that the car's steering wheel felt stiff and would not return to center after taking a turn.

Checked several other higher-end RAV4 trims and they all exhibited the same issue! The dealer claims they can improve but not eliminate the issue.

Buyer beware. Test drive your car before buying!!! as this is a safety concern and road hazard.

https://vehq.com/steering-wheel-not-returning-to-center-what-could-be-wrong/

Toyota Canada refuses to intervene and sends you back to the dealer. 

• Like 1

I suspect that the 'problem' would be solved by switching off LTA (Lane Trace Assist) ... 😉

I'm not aware of any problems of this nature being reported with Japanese built 4.5s, and, while it's possible that they just can't build cars in the US and Canada, I suspect that this effect is simply the result of the 'feel' of LTA 'correcting' the steering.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Nikina said:

After test driving my new 2023 RAV4 FWD, I immediately noticed that the car's steering wheel felt stiff and would not return to center after taking a turn.

Checked several other higher-end RAV4 trims and they all exhibited the same issue! The dealer claims they can improve but not eliminate the issue.

Buyer beware. Test drive your car before buying!!! as this is a safety concern and road hazard.

I find it hard to believe, can you video record it?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Nikina said:

RAV4s, and Toyotas in general I think, do not run with a large caster angle so could easily have less "self centring" effect than you may be used to in other cars.

That said, make sure that LTA is off first.

• Like 2

Thank you for the suggestion. I will give it a try.

• Like 1

The LTA shouldn't affect steering centring - It provides a positive steering input and would be noticeable.

All of my Yarisususesiees self-centred quite strongly the further from centre they were but I don't have much experience with RAV4s.

Off the top of my head, potential causes that I've read about on the forum over the years aside from the caster angle being wrong include wheels not aligned correctly, tracking not set up correctly, power steering motor faulty, power steering system centre needs recalibrating, steering wheel not centred with steering rack, tyres too wide and directional tyres on the wrong way round.

• Like 2

Steering wheel not returning to the centre after turn can happen as a result of all above explained. These lane assist function can indeed cause feeling that the wheel does not return and should be disabled to try without.
Usually all cars with electric power assist has some not fully return to the centre but should be minimal ° and won’t be noticed by most drivers. Faulty steering components can also cause this and interestingly without triggering any fault codes., almost mission impossible to trace and find. 

I have no idea on rav4 how it is but on other cars that had these problems the steering was light to turn when manoeuvre stationary but very stiff when driving both to turn and return, with no fault codes at all. 
Toyota has a repair manual how to check and test steering wheel functioning and returns. That’s what they need to do. 
Good luck 

• Like 1