Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Handbrake misaligned on Mk1

MCjensen

Hi Folks,

Apparently my handbrakes are misaligned on my Aygo 2012.  According to the mot test (bilsyn in DK) the right back wheel is not braking when the handbrake is engaged.  I can also see the handbrake adjustment  inside the car is misaligned. Any advice on how to aligned them properly?

thanks, Michael

Take rear drums off and check brake shoes are even thickness - possibly one side worn much more than other - like mine was when new to me. Also check rear cylinders are free and no leaks and shoes and cable ends free and moving. It also possible on one side your handbrake cable is seized

first I check you can move the piston with a scewdriver push it to the right then to the left just slightly, if both drums are the same then check if the cable is free when the drum is back on look at the handbrake joining the rear brake cables bracket is at right angles is not loosen cable and check haw free inner cable moves.

Tip if handbrake with both wheels of the ground check how easy it is to rotate drums if both cannot be rotated drop the handbrake by one notch and try again.

It's a broken cable (cable has snapped, or the end has come off) if the balancer is pulled to one side  - replace the cable, ideally do both sides

it may have got lost in translation, in English it would be a handbrake imbalance

• Like 2

If handbrake cables are ok then check this pivot point for seizing!.

Handbrake linkage may need freeing off ot this pin or you may have to remove the linkage to clean it .

This picture taken from a new brake kit see pin at top of picture.IMG_0507.thumb.JPG.0452fcd0a315cbc392ec5e624bea59f7.JPG

Thanks for all the advice,    

Both rear brake shoes are good and even.   I will check all the rear brake parts this weekend. 

Could be the self adjuster is not working one side. Remove the drum and push the adjuster round until you can only just get the drum back on. Press the brake when the drum is on to centre the shoes and repeat. Only adjust the handbrake cable as a last resort.

• Like 1