Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla 2022 petrol - injection cleaner

brainii

I've been told by the Toyota stealership that this is done routinely once a year. I've also been told they change all filters annually and I know that's BS and not according to the manual and they quoted 270 euro for the above plus oil change.

As far as injection cleaner is concerned, the manual states this is done in other models (Corolla 1.2 Turbo, corolla hybrid, rav 4 and gt86).

Let me add the car is 1 year old, with less than 1000 KM done so far. My plan is to only change oil/filter and clean/inspect the rest of the filters myself (like on all my other cars).

Is the injection cleaner done on your 2022 corollas I wonder????

Thanks

• Like 2

Not had that done or recommended on any of our cars - Toyota or other makes.

That said, not having your car serviced by Toyota will make any future warranty claims much harder.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, APS said:

Not had that done or recommended on any of our cars - Toyota or other makes.

That said, not having your car serviced by Toyota will make any future warranty claims much harder.

Thanks for the info. Not worried at all about future warranty which is 3 years total. I really expect nothing to go wrong in the remaining 2 years. This is a Toyota!

• Like 1

Toyotas usually do brake down or have little issues (if any at all) first 2-3 years, don't they?

Obviously any issues get fixed under warranty. They are very reliable after that, between 3-10 years. 

No car or engine will need a injector cleaner after only 1000 km or miles. After 40-50k miles perhaps or after 5+ years might be a good idea and quality cleaners cost less than £10 a bottle. , just add to the tank. 

• Like 4

Injector cleaners shouldn't really be needed these days as petrol and diesel fuels have cleaning additives already to the fuel. 

• Like 1

I agree with all (except the guy who said toyotas break down in the first few years,not in my experience at all). So it is the stealership trying to rip me off..

Thanks

• Like 4

They just worded it really badly :laugh: 

They meant if the car is going to have a problem, it'll be in the first few years, but if it gets past that, it'll likely last the decade with no major problems.

Generally they don't have any major problems during the first few years and then continue to be reliable for the decade.

Unless the fuel in your country is literal garbage it's not likely injector cleaner would be required so regularly. Here, the oil and filter change interval for my Yaris Mk4 is every year/10k miles, but air filter is every 4 years!!! :eek: 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My dealership recommended it at my 1st service at 10000 miles, as an extra to the service plan. I declined their offer.

• Like 3

When I had my 2015 auris hybrid at its 5 year service with 18000 on the clock they done a fuel injection clean and engine flush which I hadn’t asked for. I could not see anything in the service schedule that this was required if it had done 50000 plus then it might have been justified.

when the 3 year service is due on the corolla I will make sure that they don’t do any extras other than what’s in the service schedule.

These dealers should not do any extra work unless the customer has asked for it.

• Like 3

Let’s be clear about what this injector clean is - a petrol additive added to the petrol tank, not a manual removal & clean. I’ve used them in the past with mixed results - BG44k is probably the best stuff. I use Shell V-power fuel once a year as that supposedly does a great job at cleaning fuel system out even as a single tank

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

They meant if the car is going to have a problem, it'll be in the first few years, but if it gets past that, it'll likely last the decade with no major problems

That is exactly what I meant, therefore good to have the warranty in case something goes wrong. 

Regarding the injector cleaning it seems the dealer wants to make some extra 💶. Similar case happened to me only 2 days ago when my car was in for its second service -the car is one year old with 20700 miles on the clock. They advised having aircon service usually £130, but because the car is in for a service they will do it for £90

I refused of course

• Like 3

I used to use V-Power diesel every 4 or so tanks in my diesel as it helped stop crud building up on the injectors, but petrols shouldn't need it unless they're exclusively driven in slow urban crawls all the time.

• Like 2

After some time 4-5 years even a low mileage car can benefit from an engine flush and a fuel additives. The reason is simple , with time and mileage anything that flows through something will accumulate some dirt been either a carbon buildup, or very small particles that can eventually block the injectors and cause some rough engine work, reduced performance and increased fuel consumption. Using best available fuel is good idea and once in a while longer drives on motorways helps keeping everything clean and working fine. 👍

• Like 1

Great info guys, confirms what I already know. Dealers just wanna rip us off doing extra and completely unnecessary stuff (imagine telling you to replace air filter, cabin filter at 1000 kms!!! on a brand new car, whereas the manual clearly states every 4 years).

I stopped taking all my cars to the dealerships for regular servicing years ago. I just take them for more specialized repairs (like when the fuel pump needed replacing on my Auris). Warranty does of course still apply, provided i change the oil/filter once a year elsewhere (and I keep receipts, even though dealership never asked for any of them, or even declined repairs/mention no warranty applies etc) for as long as the cars are in warranty, usually first 3 years.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, brainii said:

Great info guys, confirms what I already know. Dealers just wanna rip us off doing extra and completely unnecessary stuff (imagine telling you to replace air filter, cabin filter at 1000 kms!!! on a brand new car, whereas the manual clearly states every 4 years).

I stopped taking all my cars to the dealerships for regular servicing years ago. I just take them for more specialized repairs (like when the fuel pump needed replacing on my Auris). Warranty does of course still apply, provided i change the oil/filter once a year elsewhere (and I keep receipts, even though dealership never asked for any of them, or even declined repairs/mention no warranty applies etc) for as long as the cars are in warranty, usually first 3 years.

Air filter and cabin filter elements change is a bit of a stretch.
Depending on driving style and conditions cabin filter should be changed at least once a year or with each oil change and air filter every 20-30k miles or two to three years. You can easily check and replace both filters if necessary. 👍