Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Turning off remote on a keyless entry Toyota.

Scottydog007

I don’t know if people will find this handy, my dealership told me you can turn off your remote say over night and the code cannot be stolen.

Hold down the lock key on remote a flashing light occurs, and at the same time press unlock 4 times. The light stops flashing and the remote switches off. And even with remote next to car you cannot open car using the hand, and a scanner cannot access your remote.

To reactive the remote, just press unlock on the remote. I believe this only works for keyless cars.

• Like 1

Alternatively, put the key down, leave it alone, and it will go to sleep after a couple of minutes so that there is no signal to be scanned ... 😉

• Like 1

Or, use a Faraday pouch. Our keys get taken out when we use the cars, the then when we get home, the key go back in their Faraday pouch. I've tried to unlock my C-HR and the wife's Yaris while the keys are in the pouch, but nothing happens.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, philip42h said:

Alternatively, put the key down, leave it alone, and it will go to sleep after a couple of minutes so that there is no signal to be scanned ... 😉

Is this true? The whole idea of a scanner is to beam a signal to wake it up I would have thought. When you get near to your car, something it talking to your remote when it ‘is asleep’. 

From what I understand, movement causes it to 'wake up'. 

34 minutes ago, Scottydog007 said:

Is this true? The whole idea of a scanner is to beam a signal to wake it up I would have thought. When you get near to your car, something it talking to your remote when it ‘is asleep’. 

Yes it's true ... the current keys simply go to sleep when left alone, and, as above, movement wakes them up again, obviating the need for magic button presses or Faraday pouches ... 😉

• Like 1

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I'll still be using my Faraday pouch. I like my Toyotas

• Like 3

I use a pouch when the keys are at home even though they go to sleep, low cost belt and braces.

• Like 2

I always turn my keys off in the house, more to conserve Battery life than security.

11 hours ago, ernieb said:

I use a pouch when the keys are at home even though they go to sleep, low cost belt and braces.

Exactly like me. Belt and braces. Like I said earlier, I like my Toyotas

2 hours ago, Big_D said:

Exactly like me. Belt and braces. Like I said earlier, I like my Toyotas

Bob.... unfortunately the thieves don't need to intercept the key signal to nick our cars these days....they have the electronics to go beyond that......a steering wheel lock is still a good idea.... hopefully they won't nick everything else from the outside of the vehicle ☹️

• Like 2

If they want it badly enough, they'll have it. I would still rather be safe than sorry 👍

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links