Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Energy Supplier! What ones are people using?

Scottydog007

Now I have recently received the RAV4.5 plug-in, and I get an approximate electrical range of 50 miles. My smart meter tells me it cost £2.87 per hour and a total of 2 hours to fully charge for this 50 mile range.

My energy supplier is OVO and they do not recognise the charger Toyota install so I cannot get and special deals like night charging. British Gas installed the meter. What energy suppliers are people using?

• Like 1

Moved to General Discussions.

We're with Scottish Power, but I don't think this is the answer @Scottydog007 is after. Without wanting to assume, I think Scottydog007 is trying to find out if other energy companies recognise the charger fitted by British Gas, and how much it will cost to charge his RAV4.5 plug-in

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big_D said:

We're with Scottish Power, but I don't think this is the answer @Scottydog007 is after. Without wanting to assume, I think Scottydog007 is trying to find out if other energy companies recognise the charger fitted by British Gas, and how much it will cost to charge his RAV4.5 plug-in

I'm on Octopus Go, and have the free charger installed by British Gas.

They say you need to have an ev for this tarrif (including PHEV i believe), i ordered the BZ4X in March last year, and even though i didn't receive this until November, the charger was installed in July and they let me switch to this tarrif in August.

I did tell them i had the car on order, but don't believe they asked for proof though

• Like 2

I am with OVO too.  Out of curiosity I looked to check.  I looked first at the PHEV and then the BZ4X.  The answer from OVO for both is:

At the moment Charge Anytime is only compatible with a number of electric vehicles. We're working to make Charge Anytime available to more cars and chargers.

I then looked at the Nissan Leaf.  That too is not compatible.  Compatibility would appear to be charger not car related.  That is a shame as 10p/kW is not to be sneezed at.

• Like 1

I logged on to the Octopus website for an enquiry but they said they don’t recommend that customers switch to them at this time as they would be unlikely to save money. What with the volatile energy market, the government price guarantee and whatnot.

We wouldn’t save much money on these EV tariffs unless we slavishly moved as much consumption as possible to the wee hours.

On 3/24/2023 at 9:59 AM, Roy124 said:

I am with OVO too.  Out of curiosity I looked to check.  I looked first at the PHEV and then the BZ4X.  The answer from OVO for both is:

At the moment Charge Anytime is only compatible with a number of electric vehicles. We're working to make Charge Anytime available to more cars and chargers.

I then looked at the Nissan Leaf.  That too is not compatible.  Compatibility would appear to be charger not car related.  That is a shame as 10p/kW is not to be sneezed at.

I read this earlier on the BBC News site they are warning customers it may not be a good deal - 

Energy giant Ovo has launched its first deal for customers cheaper than the government's cap on household bills.

The firm will offer a fixed 12-month tariff of £2,275 for existing customers, at a time when the government is limiting typical household bills to £2,500.

It comes as falling wholesale gas prices start feeding through to bills.

One expert urged caution on Ovo's deal, predicting there would be cheaper deals in the months to come.

Ovo Energy, which provides power to more than four million homes, said it was launching the tariff because customers wanted "the security of a long term fix to protect them against the continuing energy price uncertainty".

But Mr Martin Lewis, from MoneySavingExpert, said: "People need to be very careful not to just jump on a fix because it costs less than they're paying right now.

"After that, because wholesale rates - the rates energy firms pay - have dropped, it's likely the price cap will drop, and on current predictions that means you'll start paying 20% lower rates than now."

He added that the price was then likely to stay around that level until the end of the year, and into early 2024.

Experts have been predicting household bills will fall this summer as suppliers strike new long-term deals to buy cheaper gas.

At that point the government's Energy Price Guarantee (EPG) - which is being held at current levels until the end of June - will no longer be needed, they add.

Last month analysts at Cornwall Insight forecasted that Ofgem's energy price cap - which in normal times limits what suppliers can charge per unit of energy - will fall to £2,153 a year from July.

And earlier this week, analysts at financial firm Investec said the cap could go as low as £1,981 a year from July - although this would still be significantly higher than it was before Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

Experts believe at this point households might once again be able to shop around for more competitive energy deals.

Ovo, had an offer on for free charger with a number of EV contracts.  Some looked very attractive though the BZ4X was not listed. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links