Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Does this service history put you off from buying it?

FlyFishLarry

Would you be skeptical of buying a 2013 Toyota Auris hybrid with this service history?

First service in 2015 after 15.000 km, 2nd service in 2016 after 28.000 km, and then no service until 2020 after 49.000 km and last and 4th service in 2022 at 68.000 km.

202193942_Screenshot2023-03-24at12-48-03MeldingerFINN_no.thumb.png.35b6c321a86f1f102ba59899d991f511.png1850157476_Screenshot2023-03-24at12-56-38ToyotaAuris.thumb.png.78e7eb9cc2460510c87be5f47ec0decd.png1455238580_Screenshot2023-03-24at12-56-19ToyotaAuris.thumb.png.438bde2732d062eb3b475d767cf13d84.png

Its gone 50.000 miles / 80.000 km.

Does the 4 years between 2016 and 2020 put you off?

• Like 2

Yes, and not just that 21k then and 19k on the next gap.  They have switched to every 20k rather than every year.  You don't say when it was bought on 2013 so that first service could be well over a year too.

You might be OK, but do check the oil condition.

• Like 2

Toyota service intervals in Europe (presume you're in Norway or one of the neighbouring Scandinavian countries) are 12 months or 15,000km, whichever occurs first.

So assuming the service booklet is correct:

a) we don't know what servicing it has had prior to January 2015 - as the first stamp is that for the year 1 service, presumably nothing

b) there is a 21 month/14,000km gap between the 2015 and the 2016 service - which should have been done on the time basis (12 months)

c) there is a 45 month/21,000km gap between the 2016 and 2020 service

d) there is a 23 month/19,000km gap between the 2020 and 2022 service

e) so if on 80,000km now, has covered 11-12,000km in 9 months, so may be due another service soon

So effectively an unknown quantity. Surely there are better cars out there !!

• Like 3

The only really long gap is 2016-2020. 2020-2022 is COVID. Provided everything is ok and price is ok then it shouldn't be a problem. 

• Like 2

It doesn't instil confidence in how the owner has prioritised looking after the car. To me the big unknown is how the car was driven during those long intervals. This being Norway - the car could easily have been occasionally driven long distances up and down the country (at the low speeds that are common there). Or, it could have been taken on a daily basis five minutes down the road to the local village shop in the middle of winter. The latter scenario being more of a concern.

It is a certain uncertainty about the car. Look elsewhere and compare it to others. At the very least, use this uncertainty to haggle on price. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

2020-2022 is COVID.

However the only real Covid effect on servicing was in 2020 - where servicing was delayed for a period (in the UK March to June) in most European countries. Servicing in 2021 and 2022 wasn't really affected

• Like 2

It’s questionable imo. As mentioned if the car is ok when checked, if the price is reasonable and there are no signs of engine oil consumption or rust or anything typical that can fail shortly  after purchasing the car then yes go ahead. I can’t comment any more without seen the car in person. 

• Like 2

Walk away from it, poor servicing will cause trouble long term that's not apparent now, eg oil burning 

• Like 2

I will skip that car. The risk of burning oil is too high whenever oil change is beyond 10k miles/1 year.  Ideally after 60k miles, Toyota cars should have 8k miles/8 months interval or less instead to reduce oil burning issues.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, AisinW said:

Ideally after 60k miles, Toyota cars should have 8k miles/8 months interval or less instead to reduce oil burning issues.

I didn't know Toyota recommended that.

7 minutes ago, Stivino said:

I didn't know Toyota recommended that.

I used what I had been in the past 15 yeras owning Toyota.  On the manuals, under harsh condition (cold starts, short trips, dusty, etc.) Oil change interval is actually 5k miles/6 months period.  But most of us are not within harsh condition nor ideal condition. So, I took 8k miles/8 months as a midpoint. Where I was in USA. There are many 2.5L on Camry that burn oil like Irak war from doing 10k miles/1 year interaval even when they do oil change in dealership.  But usually it happened after 100k miles.  Other owners who do 5k miles/6 months interval including me do not burn any oil even after 230k miles.  YOu can check it on the manual handbook, it said about 5k miles/6 months interval under harsh condition.

My current Auris 2015 is only at almost 100k miles and it did not burn any oil at all.  I switch to 5-7k miles/8 months interval since it was 80k miles.  I know that many 1.8L 2ZRFXE are burning oil and only getting worse. Usually it started at around 120k miles especially pre-2014 September production.

• Like 3

I would look elsewhere too.

However, the owner/keeper might have kept up with d.i.y. servicing in the missing stamped years. It would still not persuade me to buy even if they could produce receipts for oil, filters etc.. I would even insist on seeing receipts for the stamped services too.

My car has been serviced to manufacturers specification since new, service book fully stamped but I also keep the receipts for those services and any other parts used.

Needs to be seen and checked, it might be a good deal.

Service history alone on any car means nothing.
I would say that most of the trashed used cars I ever had talking as an ex used car trader were those with one or two owners and with full main dealer service history, and particularly these with extreme low miles. Usually engine oil starts to deteriorate after the second year towards the third one and starts forming a sludge and with all consequences. If the car not been driven enough, services skipped it might be a survival, but it is a risk and you need to know what to look for.
Common signs for neglected engine from a skipped oil change intervals are dark yellowish - brownish discolouration on the clean metal parts inside the engine and also on the dipstick. How to check these: 
Open oil filler cap and with a torch or flash light look inside the engine, seen this coloured stuff , the engine it’s done, same for the dipstick, take it out and wipe gently, if any darker residue left on it while there is no oil on it’s a good sign for sludge formation been triggered. Another place to look is the air filter box, open and check for any oil inside or along the ducts.
Dipstick low oil level it’s also a bad sign. 
⚠️Remember engines with sludge and old oil 2-3 years or older are running even quieter than those with new oil in. ⚠️

• Like 7

Re Tony's post, yes a visual inspection is definitely required to ascertain his points 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tony is right, always check the dipstick, air filter, and peak the hole on the oil filler/cap.  You should see shiny metal on the camshaft and lifter under it. If it has varnishes, it is a bad sign with modern 0w-20 oil. 

I prefer younger hybrid but with normal or slightly higher mileage car. It means it is used regularly and check if there are many dead bugs on the radiator fins . It means it is on the highway a lot. You can also can see it from steering wheel. If it peels a lot, it means it is driven mostly in city and traffict. 

• Like 5

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links