Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aygo X Pure - smartphone & MyT

Jostan

Hi

I've ordered an Aygo X Pure which I'm due to get in a week.  

However I've now had 3 emails with videos instructing me to download & install the Toyota MyT app & sync it with my car, & how the salesman can do this for me on collection.  Personally I really hate the whole smartphone - car integration thing.  I'm buying the car as a cheap runaround and other than linking my phone via bluetooth I don't want to bother with any apps etc.  Also, for me, I don't see the value in what the app appears to offer as I have a brain & am quite capable of remembering when my service is due, where I parked, whether I locked my doors & so on.

Question is...  Is there any need for me to download & integrate the app with the car at all?  Will it affect the day-to-day functionality of the car in any way?

Not at all.  Just ignore all of that and just drive and use it like a "normal" car....whatever that is nowadays 😅

• Like 1

Thanks.  If some key features of the car had of required smartphone integration then I would have cancelled my order & switched to a Sandero.

Can't stand the amount of baby-sitting tech in cars these days.

Apple carplay/Android equivalent is noted in the list of features for the car model trims. Good luck with your new aygo, I'm waiting for my new order which is not expected until next month at least.

Thanks Wiz.  I understood that it had Android Auto (or whatever it's called), but after reading some stuff online it looked like there was a need to link my phone to the car to gain access to some other features.  Glad to know that it's not needed and that those other 'features' are (to me) just worthless gimmicks anyway.

Just thinks it's a shame that we don't get the Aygo X base in the UK like they get in Germany.  Steel wheels with wheel-trims and no touchscreen bells & whistles would be perfect for me.

I linked my Aygo X up to the app out of curiosity. It's absolutely non-essential, and doesn't affect you being able to use Android Auto or Apple Carplay.

It tells you what your car looks like(!), current fuel level and mileage. It also tells you where you last parked your car, and details of your last journey (including berating you for "bad acceleration/braking". There is a privacy option to turn this off.

You can look up what warning lights mean, which might be useful. You can also book a service through the app.

The other thing it does is send you a notification if you've left the doors unlocked or open.

What's interesting to me as a computer geek is that the car clearly has some form of mobile data connection that I'm not paying for. Not sure if I like the idea of my car being on a network that is out of my control.

I've attached some screenshots. In the second one, "send to car" doesn't work, as that's for a navigation system spec that I don't have in my Edge.MyT1.thumb.jpeg.65b16074ace3c2b8da4f70708496c482.jpegMyT2.thumb.jpeg.8d42e49bd77e7eebb29a398760c1e98d.jpegMyT3.thumb.png.a9015cf5b65489d92a7c46ef4ecf06ed.png

You can also turn on your air con on a hot day before you get back to your car.......However, we were at a car boot sale in the summer in big open fields and I was trying out all the toys on my new car.  I turned on on the air con as we were walking back to the car and from a distance, I saw some git trying the door, presumably because the car was running and no one in it.  So you take yer chances 🥺

• Haha 1

Aww, I haven't got that option on mine, that would actually be useful!

Shame, I've also used it on a cold night and when you get back to the car, it's nice and warm.  As mentioned before, you take your chances using this option.  My car was right outside the restaurant window, so it was ok👍

No one can break in and drive it away...once you open a door or put it into gear, the engine cuts out.

However, the engine running in a empty car attracts bad people !!

I'd find it safer folding out the rear windows and locking it if you want to leave it parked somewhere where its warm.

21 hours ago, 152bobby said:

Shame, I've also used it on a cold night and when you get back to the car, it's nice and warm.  As mentioned before, you take your chances using this option.  My car was right outside the restaurant window, so it was ok👍

No one can break in and drive it away...once you open a door or put it into gear, the engine cuts out.

When its really cold weather the Exclusive takes longer than I can remember a car taking to warm up.

Yes, for such a small car, I have noticed that.

That's the downside of an efficient engine - They don't generate much waste heat idling... My old D4D and also this Mk4 hybrid take ages to warm up from a cold morning!

• Like 1

That's precisely why heated seats should have been available across the whole range !!

• Like 3

Yeah... I wished my Mk4 had heated seats this winter! Brrrrr...

I'm still baffled why Toyota UK didn't even option it for this country for the Mk4 when it was an available factory option!!

• Like 2

On 3/29/2023 at 10:26 PM, 152bobby said:

Is engine start & warm-up via the app a feature of the Aygo X Pure?  I doubt it but will be very impressed if it can.

Mr Tall, the showing how the car looks might come in handy when I'm 80, though I cant see me having the Aygo X for 31 years. 

• Haha 1

On 3/29/2023 at 10:20 PM, 152bobby said:

You can also turn on your air con on a hot day before you get back to your car.......However, we were at a car boot sale in the summer in big open fields and I was trying out all the toys on my new car.  I turned on on the air con as we were walking back to the car and from a distance, I saw some git trying the door, presumably because the car was running and no one in it.  So you take yer chances 🥺

Car boot sale.

The answer is in the statement..

• Haha 1

On 3/29/2023 at 11:15 PM, Mr Tall said:

What's interesting to me as a computer geek is that the car clearly has some form of mobile data connection that I'm not paying for. Not sure if I like the idea of my car being on a network that is out of my control.

The connection allows you to make the call / use the SOS button when necessary with the E Alarm system and feeds information to the satnav.
For EU an automatic system to inform emergency services in case of accident is an obligation in new cars or models. So every new car you buy has to have this connection. No connection = no warning possibilities.

Also useful :
For example : if you have a satnav, you don't need to know the adress of the closest dealer. You just type Toyota and it shows you the nearest ones.
If you're looking for KFC... just type KFC. The 4G connection of the car allows you to look up where the nearest one is.

It DOES ask me to connect my phone all the time. My phone is not standard BT etc activated and it doesn't connect ... after which the radio unit asks me to connect after 30 sec of driving.
Can just ignore that too. The question dissapears and you can just go on with your driving.

4G mobile connection... You see the confirmation on the top of the screen, right side (see image>>> )

connection 4G.JPG

Regulation text

""""If you buy a new model of car, approved for manufacture after 31 March 2018, it must have the 112-based eCall system installed. This rule applies both to cars with no more than 8 seats and light commercial vehicles. If you have a car which is already registered, you are not obliged to retrofit an eCall device but you can have it installed if your car meets the technical requirements.""""

Wherever you are, if your vehicle is involved in a serious accident, you will be connected with the nearest emergency-response network. It doesn't matter where you bought your vehicle or where it is registered.

When eCall is activated, it connects to the nearest emergency response centre, using both a telephone and data link. This allows you and the passengers in the vehicle to communicate with the emergency centre operator and at the same time, a minimum set of data is automatically transmitted (your exact location, the time of the accident, your vehicle's identification number and direction of travel). This allows the emergency services to assess and manage your situation.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/29/2023 at 10:26 PM, 152bobby said:

Shame, I've also used it on a cold night and when you get back to the car, it's nice and warm.

Apologies for a silly question, but... How exactly do you do this? I have never seen this option in MyT app. But this is the second or third time I've heard of it.

It only exists for very limited spec. 

Most dont have this option.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, haelewyn said:

It only exists for very limited spec. 

Most dont have this option.

Limited spec? Exclusive edition is listed as having this option. Are you saying there's a Exclusive v1 with this feature and Exclusive v2 without this feature?

I think haelewyn means that other specs like the Pure and the Edge for example in the UK don't have the remote start feature because they're not keyless entry.

• Like 1

That was kind of what I was saying. Indeed, what Wiz said.

Here , we only have the remote heating on one spec, only on the highest level.
The others, like my EDGE f.e. have a lot of things but a few things are kept for the 'top spec'.
We used to get a 'limited' version in the beginning that had it .. and had some other color patterns too.

No use searching for it on any lower levels of spec (here) than the highest one.
If it's not covered in the app, your car ain't got it.

• Like 1