Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2021 1.8 Hybrid GR Sport - 2 questions

rado77

Hi guys,

I got this car few months ago. It's 11/2021, 1st maintenace was 11/2022. Oil is like new. The 1st issue is that since I got this car, I heard 3 times VVT intake camshaft variator rattling on 1st engine start...usually in the morning. I know this issue from Renault, so I exactly know what's the issue and so on. But my question is (engine 2ZR 1.8) - is this common issue on these engines? I'm asking because for example Renault makes 3 genrrations of variator till they used proper material which lasts long (8 years) without rattling...I don't know this 2ZR engines well...it's history, issues and so on...

And 2nd issue - when I stop (I mean full stop) the car on traffic lights, front brakes squeeks for very short period of time...and the same squeak when I release brake pedal...it's like MG2 is "fighting" with it's power against power of brake pads...is this very short squeaking normal on these hybrids? I didn't hear sqieaking like this on POV videos and nobody complained it in test reviews...

Thank you very much for any info!

Rado

Issue 2 is normal

Mat Watson from carwow even notes it on his review. Not sur did this is and for the car but when I’m bored in traffic I play a game of seeing how long I can get the squeal to continue for.

issue 1 will need an expert opinion, TonyHSD or PartsKing will be best to answer prob.

• Like 2

Hi WoofWoof,

thank you very much for your info ;-) I'm going to watch Watson's CarWow

Hi Rado, 
I doubt it you have any problems with the engine at that early age and mileage. 
The first issue with vvti rating can be said it’s typical for 2zr engines but those from the past and those at higher mileage. Later models from 2012 and above has minimal or no issues at all. You can record a video on your mornings cold starts and share with us so we can give you better view on that matter.
Important to note here that Toyota hybrids can produce engine noises similar to chain tensioner or vvti gear rattling although the noises won’t be connected to those two at all and they may come from parking pole in the transmission and brakes too. When the car is in P, sometimes the parking pole can lock itself in an odd position against the crown of the transmission gear and when engine kicks in a knock will be produced that will sound like metallic rattling similar to what you may think it’s from a vvti gear. These events often happens when you park on incline roads. 

Second problem with the brakes squealing is typical behaviour for any automatic car where the transmission pushes ahead while you are applying the brakes.

• Like 1

TonyHSD,

thank you very much for is valuable info!!! Good to hear that some "noises"are typical for Hybrids. Xar has only 14.000 km (+ - 10.000 miles?) and is like brand new, also engine bay is shiny like new, no other issues. Anyway I complained some noises from front suspension at dealership, they found some smal gap on brake caliper...so this will be replaced under warranty - and I thought that (maybe) that very short squeak is related to this...ok, let's after repair. I'LL akso talk to mechanic regarding VVT noises on 2ZRs and their experiences...maybe they'll give me some useful info... ;-)

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, rado77 said:

TonyHSD,

thank you very much for is valuable info!!! Good to hear that some "noises"are typical for Hybrids. Xar has only 14.000 km (+ - 10.000 miles?) and is like brand new, also engine bay is shiny like new, no other issues. Anyway I complained some noises from front suspension at dealership, they found some smal gap on brake caliper...so this will be replaced under warranty - and I thought that (maybe) that very short squeak is related to this...ok, let's after repair. I'LL akso talk to mechanic regarding VVT noises on 2ZRs and their experiences...maybe they'll give me some useful info... 😉

You are welcome. 
The 2ZR engines that has issues with vvti sprocket are mostly from USA and Dubai on cars made before 2010. You can research on YouTube, there are plenty of videos but honestly for your new car there is no need to worry about it. Suspension can make a creaky noises when going over bumps or sudden stops, this is also a no problem and it’s typical for these cars , often happens after winter season. Simple suspension wash or spray some silicone onto some bushes helps sort the things. If any more issues just ask and we will help. These cars are ultra popular in UK. 👍

Yeah Tony. Thanks for infos ;-) Corollas are polpular also here - Slovakia / Bratislava. I'll talk about everything with technician at dealership - in case of some interesting info I'll post it here ;-)

• Thanks 1

I found a video with exactly the same sound

, 0:11sec. As I mentioned, it happened only 3 times during 4 months...so it's very hard to record it :-)  That's why I thought that it's realted to VVT intake cam variator.

I'll go to warranty repair at dealer to fix that front brake calippers replacement on Tiesday - which is crazy that they identified problem on front calippers itself...some gap on guide pins!!!?? causing sounds like "bad stabilizer bars on bumpy roads" (sorry for my English) :-) It's really strange that this gap exists on new car...I never faced problem like this on my previous cars (new or older). And because those guide pins are...I don't know...let's say smaller in diameter as it should be, that causes that tk...tk.......tk  sound on bupms...and MAYBE that gap is causing also that bery short brake squeaks during full stops and during releasing brake pedal and moving car forward...

Sounds if it could be something hydraulic,  as it only did on the first start up, maybe one of the cam followers has they work on oil pressure, l don't  know if that engine has a hydraulic timing chain tensioner anyway ask the workshop to look at it.

That sounds like the pedestrian warning noise generator.

Not that whinning noise, that's pedestrian warning UFO sound, that's normal. I mean very short sqeaks direcly when car stops to zero, and when I release brake pedal and car starts to move forward. Very short creak everytime (it doesnt matter if wether is wet, or if there's 17 degrees outside and dry)...its always doing this short creak . I'm sure that people around the car hear it...and that's something what I didn't hear when some Corolla Hybrid stops near me. I had also test drive with 1.8 Hybrid Combi version, and there wasnt creaking like this. Ok, lets see after Tuesday's front brakes replacement...I'll inform you about the result

Interesting to hear of your noise you suspected to be the suspension. Mine has made a rattling sound (front left side) since around 13000 miles, it’s now on 21,000 miles and noise is worse - sounds like a drop link rattling. At its last service they checked everything over on the ramp and noticed nothing unusual. Think I’ll be booking in for a proper check over 

Yeah, the problem is that for proper investigation of drop links they must disconnect them at least on one end...when drop link is connected, but it's ball joint isn't destroyed completely, they cannot identify that it's bad (by shaking by hand). That was my 1st suspicion - drop links...but technician at dealer found that clearance on both front brake calippers...Strange...hopefully it will solve my issue...and if not, then I request them to check drop links

• Like 1

Stabiliser bar bushes and links should be checked with wheels on the ground or on platform and car in the air. If the wheels are off the ramp in the air they will add tension to the links and bushes and it will show as rock solid but if there are any wear it will rattle when driving slowly over sharp cracks or potholes, rough road. Perhaps the dealer mechanics know that and follow this rules. If the car creaks over bumps or when stops suddenly it’s from suspension arms rear bushes, they need cleaning with water or silicone spray. 

• Like 2

Forgot to mention Toyota cars usually rattle from steering wheel column. Something to keep an eye on when looking for front suspension noises vibration or rattling. 

Exactly ! ;-)  Regarding creaking - I'll also clean brake disc...noone knows what chemistry previous owner used...maybe disc/pads surface isn't clean and that causes those short creaks...

@Tony - do you know what's exactly wrong with that steering column? 

4 minutes ago, rado77 said:

Exactly ! 😉 Regarding creaking - I'll also clean brake disc...noone knows what chemistry previous owner used...maybe disc/pads surface isn't clean and that causes those short creaks...

@Tony - do you know what's exactly wrong with that steering column? 

Steering column can rattle because of few things , shaft bolts, shaft splines dried from lubricant, worn gears , worn bearings or a combination of all above.  An happen on very low mileage cars and if this is the case usually is from dried splines. There are few posts about these issues. For now just wait and see what the mechanics will say and change and then we will take it from there. No need to worry about ot too much. It’s a new car and under warranty., and not necessary it’s broken. Sometimes these acts has their own niggles and if you are coming from another brand like Mercedes’ or Vw for example you may find some things strange and unusual but at the end it could turn to be just a car characteristic 👍

Yep yep ;-) I'll write here after Tuesday's repair

• Like 1

Mine is booked in for 21st April - will report back 

3 hours ago, Gray86 said:

Mine is booked in for 21st April - will report back 

There is a bulletin for front suspension noise which may apply:

CP-00498T-TME

Subject: Abnormal Noise During Driving Stabilizer Bar

Area of Application: All Markets

Models – Model Codes: Corolla - MZEH12, NRE210, ZWE211 

Description of the phenomenon

Some customers may experience and report knocking noise from front stabilizer bar when driving over speed bumps, potholes or when driving on bad roads. Noise is caused by Bush, front stabilizer bar interference with the body when driving in the defined conditions. No production change. Parts improvement as below described, is available as customer satisfaction solution.

Production change

No production change.

Parts improvement as below described, is available as customer satisfaction solution.

Applicable Body Styles

Only the below mentioned vehicles and body styles are applicable for customer satisfaction solution.

Model

Model Code

Body Style

Corolla

MZEH12

Hatchback

Corolla

MZEH12

Wagon

Corolla

ZWE211

Hatchback

Corolla

NRE210

Hatchback

Corolla

NRE210

Wagon

For simplicity:

MZEH12 = 2.0,

ZWE211 = 1.8,

NRE210 = 1.2T

Wagon = Touring Sport

• Like 1

Interesting that the 1.8 TS isn't affected!

Yes, the same told me mechanic few minutes ago when I gave them my car! Regarding my squeaking during full stops, in my case they will change also thos front brakes + new wheels alignment

Here are pictures from another thread (before & after) for stabilizer bar

after.jpg

before.jpeg

• Like 1

Not much rubber on them bushes, can't  see them lasting long before wearing out.