Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What is it about the Aygo X?

Pumatron

So I have had an Aygo X since September 23, it’s a good car, but there is just something about it.

I am finding myself more and more pining for my old Aygo x-trend (previous shape Aygo).

I think, and it’s taken a while to try and work out what it is, but I think it’s because Toyota just sucked some of the “fun” out of the Aygo X.

It’s definitely not as pretty, doesn’t feel as nippy and nimble and has grown just a little too big in dimensions. 

It feels more solid and is safer in an accident, and has some nice interior materials and up to date tech, but……I just don’t know if it’s enough.

I have found myself of late trawling the net for another Aygo, but the cost to change would see me basically swap a seven month old car for a two year old car, which would probably see me taken away in a straight jacket. 

I’ve even considered just selling it and putting the money back in the bank, but although as a family we can manage with one car, two cars is better.
Also cars have got really expensive of late to buy, so swapping and changing isn’t for the faint hearted anymore, especially when they are on finance, and paying cash would hurt as it’s a depreciating asset.

I actually am beginning to eat my own words as I quite like driving the Yaris at the moment, I don’t love it, and it has its own issues, but I like it better than the Aygo X 🥴.

I know, I know Its a first world problem….but I just don’t know what to do…🤷‍♂️.

I think. I bought the wrong car ☹️.

I just want some that may be considering coming from a previous generation Aygo to look at the whole picture, short and long term that actually we may have been onto a good thing with the old Aygo…..

• Like 2

I understand where you are coming from, not driven the new Aygo X myself, but comparing our first gen 107 and 2nd gen 108 agree some of the 'fun' factor has been diluted with our 108. Yes, the 108 is a better built, quality car and a big improvement on our 107, but it just lost bit of it's fizz. Depends what you want from a car I suppose, but the 107 still puts a smile on my face after all these years.

I can only imagine with the more grown up chassis and those bigger wheels tyres the Aygo X has diluted the fun even more, but at least Toyota found a way to make it work where as other manufacturers didn't even bother. 

It's modern cars in general tbh, they lack soul - they have turned it to appliances - Japanese cars have always been on the bland side hence why there is such a big aftermarket

• Like 2

Hi,

I understand. I have owned every version of the Aygo since its release and I feel exactly the same. I enjoy the Aygo less and less.

My mk1 felt so light, so shaky, so sporty. I could hear any mechanical noise, feel every stone on the road in my body. It was almost like a motorbike with a body.

When I moved onto the mk2, I noticed a great improvement in comfort, at the expenses of fun.

When I first saw the Aygo Prologue concept, I said 'yuck, never, not for me' and I bought an Aygo X. Because still, it is the closest thing to my needs/desires.

I guess you have to accept it. The Aygo is no longer a tiny economical minimalist car. It is the way all cars have to evolve because the market and the industry say so, they get bigger, heavier, wider... along with new safety regulations. It is the same thing for every model (see the Fiat 500). And as said above, I am glad Aygo continued making a city car with an atmospheric petrol engine.

The perfect generation of Aygo for me will forever be the last mk1 (2013).

• Like 4

3 hours ago, flash22 said:

It's modern cars in general tbh, they lack soul

That's right. I rent a lot of cars and many feel the same to drive, in addition to looking the same.

• Like 1

Having had an Aygo for 13 years before getting an Aygo X last September I find little comparison. The X is more comfortable, quieter, just as quick, if not more so, and the extra space in the boot helpful. Plus it is far better for longer journeys. No regrets

• Like 3

If you removed the badges from most new cars it would be hard to tell them apart, especially Japanese cars.

Same shape, same cheap plastics 😕

Have not driven any Aygo, though seen the X in the flesh recently and it looked pretty nice. If space isn't an issue and mainly local driving then the normal recent Aygo is very good. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links