Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sat Nav on Corolla

SueG

Hi, we have a 2022 Corolla and will be driving in France for the first time this May. We have the required Hi vis jackets, bulbs etc and think we are pretty well prepared. We have a question about the sat nav. Will this work  automatically when we're in France, as it does in the UK, or do we have to set it up in some way? We asked last week when the car went in for its first service, but on one at the dealership seemed to know the answer.

I'd be most grateful for any information or advice. Many thanks.

I travelled to france 4 years ago pre covid in a prius and as the eurotunnel train came out at coquelle the sat nav asked me if i wanted to change region to france. 

It will depend on what maps are installed. From the factory we get UK & Europe but if you have applied map updates you might only be up to date with UK (I think wireless updates might be UK only, manual is all of UK and Europe).

• Like 1

AndrueC is correct with wireless updates UK only. 

You might need to change the units to Km too.  I am going on Monday and will need to refresh my system. 

Can you disable the speed camera's in the satnav as l think it's still illegal to have it working in France.

Personally I would use Apple car play or Android Auto with ‘WAZE’ navigation(app) - its just brilliant, best routing of any sat nav / app I’ve ever used, it is bang up to date with broken down cars, traffic etc. much better than google maps, and the Toyota system. 

Interesting, I've been thinking of giving Waze a try. Been using Google Maps but as you say traffic updates seem way slow. Can Waze link with your contacts and search shop names etc.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, fred88 said:

Interesting, I've been thinking of giving Waze a try. Been using Google Maps but as you say traffic updates seem way slow. Can Waze link with your contacts and search shop names etc.

Not sure about linking with shop names. I used to use Apple maps, but had a few issues with poor routing, so thought I’d try waze after seeing so many rave reviews. Haven’t looked back since trying it. You have to turn off other waze users on the map as it gets a bit cluttered seeing so many symbols 

You will also have to get a local SIM card unless you have international roaming data included in your phone contract.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, RabButler said:

You will also have to get a local SIM card unless you have international roaming data included in your phone contract.

O2 has Europe roaming.  I recently switched to Lyca Mobile.  This uses the O2 network.