Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CarPlay with USB

Ziya Adnan

Hi;

I have recently bought a Toyota Yaris Cross (2023). As the car is a "Design" model it does not include satellite navigation. Hence I use Waze and Carplay using my iPhone for navigation. In essence, when I open Waze on my iPhone, it displays the map on the screen through the CarPlay. Listening to the radio is fine with that way as Waze commands interrupts the music.

However, I can not listen music which is on my USB. Is there a way to listen to USB at the same time as using the Waze through the CarPlay? 

Thank you.

I'd the same problem but I use Android.   Solved saving audiofiles on phone memory ( a nice thing of many Android phones is the presence of a microSD slot ) and playing with an AA compatible music player app ( I use musicolet on Android. Surely there's some good app also for IOS )  

Do you have more than one usb connection to the head unit?
carplay tends to monopolise the usb1 input. 
i use tomtom go and listen to the radio.  Is there a “mute audio” setting in waze as there is in tomtom,which can be turned off?

I’m afraid it is either CarPlay or USB media, not both simultaneously. Like Ricky said, the best bet is to get your music on the phone. But with Apple you don’t really have a neat removable storage option. You can get card readers and external flash storage but these are meant for photos rather than music.

The other option is to get your music in the cloud. I use iTunes Match which for an annual fee uploads/matches your own music collection into the Apple ecosystem. Works brilliantly with CarPlay. Alternatively, YouTube Music has a free upload function and playback app. I haven’t tried this with CarPlay though.

The other alternative is a bluetooth music player that should be used as a source while USB is busy with CarPlay.   

Unluckily Yaris has only one USB port and even if it can be shared with two memory sticks ( using am USB hub you'll see thwo USB sources ) if you connect a smartphone using Car Play or AA the USB media functionality is disabled but BT media source is still available.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, IT Troll said:

I’m afraid it is either CarPlay or USB media, not both simultaneously. Like Ricky said, the best bet is to get your music on the phone.

Can you clarify this - 

If you have music and Waze or Google maps on the phone connected by USB cable to the single USB port the music and maps will run at the same time in Android Car Play.

12 hours ago, RickyC said:

The other alternative is a bluetooth music player that should be used as a source while USB is busy with CarPlay.   

Unluckily Yaris has only one USB port and even if it can be shared with two memory sticks ( using am USB hub you'll see thwo USB sources ) if you connect a smartphone using Car Play or AA the USB media functionality is disabled but BT media source is still available.

Carplay disables bluetooth when wired carplay is connected. 

• Like 1

I’ve also noticed Carplay disconnects bluetooth when wirelessly connected.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Max_Headroom said:

Can you clarify this - 

If you have music and Waze or Google maps on the phone connected by USB cable to the single USB port the music and maps will run at the same time in Android Car Play.

Max,

Yes. At least on a Yaris Cross Dynamic with Smart Connect 9" screen. Latest version of Android Auto shows map and music player in split screen mode ( 66/33 split).   I connect by wireless but should be the same for wired connection.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Max_Headroom said:

I only have experience of Apple CarPlay, but I imagine Android Auto will be similar. With CarPlay you can have simultaneous audio playback and sat nav. This can be split screen or full screen. If you have music playing it dips the volume a little during voice guidance. If you are listening to an audiobook it automatically pauses it during guidance, then replays the last few seconds when resuming.

2 hours ago, Graham47 said:

I’ve also noticed Carplay disconnects Bluetooth when wirelessly connected.

This is understandable as bluetooth is used as part of the wireless handshake. It is a surprise to hear the same happens for wired connections, but perhaps it is just done as part of the connection protocol.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for all your replies. Based in the responses, it is not possible to listen to music on USB stick while using CarPlay to display the map on the dashboard. This is bad news especially when the car is brand new and costs considerable amount of money.

27 minutes ago, Ziya Adnan said:

Thank you for all your replies. Based in the responses, it is not possible to listen to music on USB stick while using CarPlay to display the map on the dashboard. This is bad news especially when the car is brand new and costs considerable amount of money.

You should have done more research before buying the car its not Toyotas fault you didn't look into this they don't hide the fact there is only one USB port.

Buy a SD card put the music from your memory stick onto it and put it in your phone sorted 😉

Thank you for your reply Max.

Can you please clarify on on the SD card solution. Do I need a specific SD card?

Thanks

Looking forward to you getting advice on fitting an SD card to your iPhone 🤪

• Haha 1

Graham;

there is no need to be sarcastic. There could be a specific SD card as it includes CarPlay and I was asking a polite question. Please don not bother replying as it gets annoying.

2 hours ago, Ziya Adnan said:

Ziya,

It all depends is the more accurate answer.

From what I have read on this forum, the 9" Smart Connect unit will only support one Android Auto Or Apple CarPlay wired connection via the USB port. Anything else connected when using a hub, or similar is ignored. I have tested this with a powered and unpowered hub with Android phone and USB Stick.

However I have a USB stick with music plugged in and the Android phone connected wirelessly ( that's not easy to make work as previously discussed on the forum). I can use Google maps and play music from USB  stick at the same time.The

Your experience with Apple Carplay may differ.

Thank you for your kind and accurate reply. I have tested this with an iPhone and it does not work. I will try the SD Card option or at worst use the phone for Waze independently.

You could just transfer some music to your phone using iTunes then play it with the Apple music app on the car play screen which should work with waze. 

4 hours ago, Graham47 said:

Looking forward to you getting advice on fitting an SD card to your iPhone 🤪

I skipped through the OP and didn't notice its an iPhone,  maybe you could try to help  instead of having your little power trip moment and belittling those that are trying to help.

I do not own and never will own an iPhone for this reason so had no idea about the SD card maybe think before jumping in with both feet next time!

You could just transfer some music to your phone using iTunes then play it with the Apple Music app on the car play screen which should work with waze. 

Thanks Ralph its a shame Graham couldn't be bothered to give the correct answer having pointed out mine was wrong. 🙄

To be fair finding an android phone with a microSD card or headphone socket is getting harder too :sad: 

12 minutes ago, Cyker said:

To be fair finding an android phone with a microSD card or headphone socket is getting harder too :sad: 

Being a tight git i only change my phone when i have to and the last time was December 2021, i always go for a budget model and usually one that has the biggest Battery, i wouldnt mind if thre was no SD option as long as the internal memory was big enough for what i need.

To begin with, 64 GB is roughly 64,000 MB.

A superior quality (320 kbps) 3-minute song can be around 8–10 MB.

Therefore, 64,000 / 8 = 8,000 high quality tracks which can be loaded on your MP3 device.

You can double the quantity if you wish to store them in 160 kbps.

It would be except for the 50GB of photos and videos of random holidays and whatsapp media already on the phone :laugh: 

• Haha 1