Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car key/ keyless entry

Primus1

Does the Toyota keyless car key go into sleep mode to prevent hacking and therefore your car being able to be stolen?, atm my Ford keys go inactive after about 20sec ( I think) , just wondered if the Toyotas are the same….

16 minutes ago, Djcp said:

My Cross does yes.

How do we know? 😁

51 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

How do we know? 😁

Close the car.

Take the key off your pocket at put on the floor close to the car ( in the key working range ) and leave for some seconds ( 20-30 sec ).

Open and close the car touching the handle, just to be sure that key is in the range.

Then without touching the key try to open the car.  If the key has gone  in autosleep the car should not open.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Are there any versions of the Cross that don't have keyless?

The latest Toyota fobs include a motion detector which means a Faraday pouch is not necessary. All Yaris Cross models comes with this style, not sure when they were introduced to other cars.

16 hours ago, Ralph H said:

I keep my Yaris key in a faraday box just in case 

I fear that there's too panic around keyless fobs.   The fob range is only few meters so, when you arrive home. unless you put down the fob close to the door or the window, a thief can't connect to it. 

So I think that a Faraday box at home is not usually needed.  

The risk is when you're on the road with the fob in your pocket.  Someone can come close to you with the receiver and bridge the signal to someone else in the parking area.

In any case you can always force te fob in sleep state with two presses of "Open Door" key while keeping the "Close Door" key pressed.  

I usually force the key is sleep mode before entering in a crowded place.

10 minutes ago, RickyC said:

I fear that there's too panic around keyless fobs.   The fob range is only few meters so, when you arrive home. unless you put down the fob close to the door or the window, a thief can't connect to it. 

The risk is when you're on the road with the fob in your pocket.  Someone can come close to you with the receiver and bridge the signal to someone else in the parking area.

In any case you can always force te fob in sleep state with two presses of "Open Door" key while keeping the "Close Door" key pressed.  

I usually force the key is sleep mode before entering in a crowded place.

I’ve had the box for years from a previous car.  I keep all my keys in it that way it removes all doubt and I always know where my keys are 😉

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Max_Headroom said:

Are there any versions of the Cross that don't have keyless?

Found the answer.

sssssssssse.thumb.JPG.02d603839cc9e55b6f2621b2dc54cf16.JPG

• Like 2

I use aluminium foil. Works great!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

You can force the key to turn itself off by pressing two buttons at the same time why use tin foil?

Sorry couldn't resist 😄

image.jpeg.040f44eff0b91571890265a44986202e.jpeg

• Haha 2

That's a coincidence, I have 5 hats like that,all in different styles.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

14 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

You can never be too careful.

carfoil.thumb.jpg.7a3cb8d294aeb0e4dd3b3adfd89af6ec.jpg

• Haha 5

I really hope that's a prank and not the owner's attempt at corrosion prevention...

3 hours ago, Max_Headroom said:

You can force the key to turn itself off by pressing two buttons at the same time why use tin foil?

Aye, with the Smart keys, at least the current ones, you hold LOCK and press UNLOCK twice to disable the key's transceiver.

• Like 1

I will be buying a Design I really don't like keyless and even though there is now a way to disable it having OCD I would always be wondering if it was off and I don't want to use bags, the microwave, tin foil or biscuit tins just to be sure. 

It is possible to completely disable the keyless entry and start system via the head unit in the Mk4, and just use the remote buttons to lock/unlock, but it does mean you have to press the Start button with the smartkey to start the car, or at least hold it up to the Start button and press it (It's easier just to press it with the smart key IMHO).

I had some reservations at first but being able to open the door and start the car without fishing the keys out out my pocket has successfully appealed to my sense of lazines-I mean efficiency. :whistling1: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IT Troll said:

You can never be too careful.

carfoil.thumb.jpg.7a3cb8d294aeb0e4dd3b3adfd89af6ec.jpg

That's a pretty careless wrap, for the sort of money they want for those, I'd be wanting to see out the windows, and insist that they smoothed it out a bit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Cyker said:

It is possible to completely disable the keyless entry and start system via the head unit in the Mk4, and just use the remote buttons to lock/unlock, but it does mean you have to press the Start button with the smartkey to start the car, or at least hold it up to the Start button and press it (It's easier just to press it with the smart key IMHO).

I had some reservations at first but being able to open the door and start the car without fishing the keys out out my pocket has successfully appealed to my sense of lazines-I mean efficiency. :whistling1: 

Thanks *I didn't now you can disable the key using car settings that is a good idea.

*If I did I had forgotten.

The Design spec doesn’t include either keyless entry or push button start AFAIK …..

Aye. It is odd though turning a key for nothing to happen 😀

16 minutes ago, Graham47 said:

The Design spec doesn’t include either keyless entry or push button start AFAIK …..

Yeah, that's why Max chose it, as he didn't want the risk of keyless theft, but I was just offering possible alternatives.

I wouldn't have gotten the keyless either but I wanted the HUD more so had to live with it. Now that I'm used to it, I'm not so bothered, and having a push-button to start the hybrid feels less weird than turning the key, due to the lack of engine starting up :laugh: 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Graham47 said:

My Y C Design has keyless and push button start

On 3/31/2023 at 10:08 AM, RickyC said:

This is incorrect. The theft method used is called a "Relay attack" where (on a simple level) a high stength low frequency transmitter is used to activate the key inside the house, which then makes the key send the "unlock" command to the vehicle. This method works over tens of feet, making the use of a Faraday box or pouch a very sound idea. Otherwise you need to switch off the key every evening (or whenever) or disable the keyless entry on a permanent basis.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Corollanutter said:

This is incorrect. The theft method used is called a "Relay attack" where (on a simple level) a high stength low frequency transmitter is used to activate the key inside the house, which then makes the key send the "unlock" command to the vehicle. This method works over tens of feet, making the use of a Faraday box or pouch a very sound idea. Otherwise you need to switch off the key every evening (or whenever) or disable the keyless entry on a permanent basis.

This is incorrect if you have a modern key fob with a motion detector (which the OP will have). Modern fobs stop transmitting after a being stationary for a few seconds and so there is nothing to relay. Your advice only applies to old fobs.