Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aygo X Radio install experience

DBRA

Hi guys, I was able to install my own radio in my Aygo X, so I figured I’d share some of my learnings. Use the information below at your own risk, and if you do not know what you are doing you should have a professional company do the install.

I bought the most basic version of the Aygo X, without a radio. The OEM radios are expensive, and only the most luxury models have bluetooth enabled Android Auto/Apple Carplay. My Aygo X has a dashboard like this (see below).

image.png.cbba2dab51b957d73d3e826f465af47f.png

All Aygo X models sold in the Netherlands (and I suspect in Europe) are audio prepared. This means Speakers are installed, buttons available on the steering wheel, active FM and DAB+ antenna sits on the roof and everything is pre-wired into the dashboard. I’m not sure if the UK versions have these installed as well; the European models, including the most basic versions, all have eCall systems with lifetime subscription, which also utilize the Speakers.

The set I bought is from Audiovolt (https://www.audiovolt.nl/product/geschikt-voor-toyota-aygo-x-2022-wireless-apple-carplay-android-auto-autoradio/). I have no affiliation with this company, and didn’t receive free parts from them, but they seem to be a couple of nice guys willing to help.

I bought a slightly different version of the radio shown on the above web page (type XPA-675DBT, which is the DAB+ version of it). The set isn’t cheap; expect to spend around 500 Euro for the DAB and steering wheel enabled set.

What you need is the following:

-          Some basic skills – it’s not that easy.

-          Some tools: thin dashboard pry tool (see below), 10 mm socket plus extension, screw driver, small Allen key, a soldering iron or crimp tool (and some crimp tubing or electrical tape for electrical insulation).

-          The radio (XPA-675BT or XPA-675DBT). Other DIN2 radios may also fit, but I am not sure.

-          A wiring harness with steering wheel interface; I used Connects2 article CTSTY014.2 or 27.1300-404 (see picture). This is not the one you get with the kit shown above – you have to ask for it and pay extra.

-          A DAB antenna pigtail: type SMA-HFC-F (see picture). Also not in the kit on the above web page; you have to ask for it.

-          A bracket and trim kit for DIN2 car radios: ACV article 381300-41-2 (see picture).

Pry tool:

image.thumb.png.78fd790d147d152eba1d7f8cccb53f88.png

Wiring harness with steering wheel interface module:

image.thumb.png.f389e5cf87cfbc39c6cc25cc8414d469.png

DAB Pigtail:

image.thumb.png.ab0116fbd4f5cb2195f24d7569c5c8c9.png

Bracket and trim kit:

image.thumb.png.17db9f691f7238910df02e2894fe5dbf.png

I started by preparing the wiring harness; click in all connecters to the corresponding ones you received with the radio. You will need to solder the blue wire labelled “Antenna Output” from the harness to the corresponding wire on the FM antenna connector that is in the kit (insulate your connection properly with crimp tube or electrical tape; you can likely use a crimped connection as well instead of soldering). This provides the power to the active FM antenna on the roof. Don’t forget to connect the mini-jack from the steering wheel interface to the corresponding connection on the radio’s wiring harness.

The next step would be to screw the provided metal installation brackets to the plastic trim piece with self tapping screws (all from the kit). Locate the tabs at the back of the trim piece and screw the provided brackets in place. The thin part of the trim piece sits at the bottom.

Then you can install the radio in the brackets and set the Allen bolts such that the radio sits nicely flush with the front of the trim piece. It may take some effort to discover the right holes on the radio. After some hours of head scratching, I realized this will only fit properly, if you remove an additional trim piece from the front of the radio (this is easy to remove – it is loosely clipped on the radio).

Then it is time to open your dashboard. The oval decorative trim panel can be removed with a thin dashboard prying tool (see below). For European models, you start at the bottom left corner (at the 'star'), lift the edge of the panel towards you, and then work your way clockwise until you’ve got the whole trim panel loose; there is a clip at every triangle. It has the wires connected to it from the hazard and airbag lights. You can either leave the panel dangling, or temporarily remove the connectors. I was told not to start the car with the connectors disconnected, as this may activate the money light on your dashboard. I guess that for the UK models, you start from the right bottom corner and then go around counter-clockwise, but am not sure.

image.thumb.png.939871c22e84ac40ad6c262b3038c71d.png

Subsequently you can remove the ‘shelve’ piece from the centre of your dashboard that sits in the radio cavity. You can simple pull it towards you with your fingers; it has four clips. After that you will need to remove the two OEM metal radio brackets with the four 10mm fasteners. You don’t need the OEM brackets and ‘shelve’ piece anymore after the install.

Now is the time to install the GPS antenna and microphone. The GPS antenna can be stuck somewhere under the dashboard with double sided tape (available in the kit). The microphone and its wire can be routed through the dashboard towards the driver side. To get the microphone at mouth level and wire hidden, you can temporarily detach the rubber weathering strip from the doorframe. A word of caution here; there is some of the stickiest white caulking used under the rubber strip I have ever experienced. It sticks to literally everything and is very hard to remove.

Then connect both the GPS antenna and microphone to your radio, and while you slide your radio into the dashboard, click in all the connectors (it is quite a bunch). Do not forget the FM and DAB+ connectors, which are a dangling from the top of the radio cavity and attach these to the radio. You can route the USB cables coming out of the back of the radio into the glove compartment (you need one of those USB connections later).

When everything is in its happy spot, you can tighten the four 10mm fasteners to secure the brackets to the dashboard and subsequently re-install the oval trim piece by gently clicking it in place. You should be done installing the radio now.

The first time you fire up the radio, it requests you to connect your phone to one of the USB connections and Android car setup will be automatic (only one of the USB connectors will work, it is marked as such).

The radio is quite nice; DAB+ and FM work fine, wireless Android Auto, google maps and Spotify – everything I need. And the buttons on the steering wheel are working (or at least most – there is a menu where you can map the buttons to certain functions). It starts up quite quickly and the sound quality is acceptable with the OEM Speakers. The only thing I do not have working is the reverse camera, but I believe none is installed in my car. The wiring is all there, so I may be attempting to install one in the future.

Below is a picture of the result; never mind my magnetic phone holder.

Good luck!

image.thumb.png.182efaa08b6b043d781aecf3e9aef904.png

image.png

• Thanks 1

Bear in mind Toyota Owners Club is UK based with the majority of members in the UK, and all UK spec Aygo X's have media units installed, whatever the grade.

• Like 1