Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 Excel or Dynamic

Zora2018

Hiya guys. Am at the stage I need to sell my 2007 Diesel and replace it with another Rav4. I can't afford the ridiculous brand new prices anymore (I could have 1.5-2 years ago 😞 ) so am going for a 3ish year old secondhand.  Stuck between the Excel and Dynamic for one reason - the seat material!!   Excel has real leather still and the Dynamic is offering Softex Synthetic Leather.  I've always preferred real leather as my 16yr old, 167k RAVs seats look superb still with minimal maintenance!!  I love that car 😞 😞  

Those of you that will know, which is the better one to go for, Excel or Dynamic and also how is the Softex Synthetic Leather holding up??

Thank you for any help you can offer 😄  😄 

• Like 2

Excel for leather and the memory seats

• Like 3

The Dynamic is about 'style'; the Excel is about 'toys'. So with the Dynamic you get 'sports' seats, a black bi-tone exterior with gloss black trim that you don't get with the Excel; while with the Excel you get a memory function on the driver's seat position, heated steering wheel and windscreen wiper de-icer and a headlight cleaner function.

I wouldn't consider the seat material particularly relevant and I went for 'toys' over 'style' but each to his own.

• Like 5

Toys over style +1, the fact that the excel has real leather is a bonus. 

• Like 3

Never liked leather seats, much prefer cloth seats  (They don't freeze/burn your behind in winter/summer like leather does, and you don't need to condition them regularly to keep them from cracking!), so it'd come down to the tech if it was me picking.

If the Excel has memory seats I'd pick it just for that - I wish my Yaris had memory seats so I wouldn't need to speed weeks trying to figure out what the comfortable position I'd found was every time I get it back from service! :laugh: 

The Softex is made out of the same family of plastics as polybushes so it should be quite tough, but given how badly a lot of these 'vegan leathers' (*hurk*) reacted to repeated alcohol hand sanitiser during the pandemic the jury's still out. (I think the 'leather' in my Mk4 is just patterned vinyl so won't be as resilient... could be wrong tho'!)

• Like 2

I have the Dynamic & very happy with this choice. The seats are still as new after 9 months so no long term experience of durability, but not a worry at all. How messy are you & your passengers when snacking & drinking in the car.

I also like the black roof lining , however the black glossy finish of the alloy wheels & wheel arches are more delicate than the finish on the Excel model.

So the important considerations are memory seats for multiple drivers & the heated screen for frequent early morning  winter starts, which weren't high priorities for me.

I'd buy either with JBL & PVM option in it!!

• Like 3

Excel has more kit than the Dynamic so if you want the toys/comforts then go Excel. If you like the style of the Dynamic with the black roof then you can always add a gloss black wrap to the roof whereas you cannot add the toys.

Best of both?

• Like 4

To be honest - I want a 2023 Rav WITH a CD player and a sunroof... Not much to ask 😄 lol   I think I'm steering towards an Excel after your comments thanks guys!! Also prefering 18" rather than 19" - I'm told the drive is better the smaller the wheels?  And should be cheaper to replace (although my brother says 19s are perhaps coming the standard, so prices are reflecting?!).

We're not overly disgusting in the food snacking department... I've made sure my daughter is careful and I don't snack so much - and we mainly have water.  I've read the Softex handles spills really well.  I love leather and I know the leather will look great by the time its 16 yrs old too, and I'm not 100% sure about the Softex... yes the Dynamic design is cool though.... My RAV has done 167K and the seats, I think, I only treated once perhaps in that time, but they still look great!! No cracking, slightly more worn on drivers side obv, but still nothing horrendous.  

Just need to find a nice Excel now...  Unbelievable that if I had just bought a new one 1/5-2 years ago, I'd have paid the same almost as what I'm expecting to pay for a 3 yr old one now 😣 gutted......

Thanks again!!  😄 

ooh one more question - has anyone had experience in fitting a CD player in a RAV4??  I've read you can hard wire/USB one in  but its probably better to spend a couple/few days copying CDs onto a USB key and just using that..... 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Zora2018 said:

better to spend a couple/few days copying CDs onto a USB key

Much better ... CDs are soo last century so you may as well get on with eliminating your dependency on them now! 😉

• Haha 2

Just now, philip42h said:

Much better ... CDs are soo last century so you may as well get on with eliminating your dependency on them now! 😉

haha I'll never elimate that depencency! LOL  😄 🤣  But I'll try get my beloved CDs onto USB.... I'll have no choice!! lol

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Zora2018 said:

better to spend a couple/few days copying CDs onto a USB key and just using that..... 

There is a programme called EZ CD Audio Converter that will name all the tracks and give you cover art in most cases, I think you can use it for free for a week or two, it also gives the opportunity to copy are full quality or mp3 etc.

Worth a look if you are copying a lot of audio tracks.

• Like 2

I am on the second RAV4 gen 5. First was on 18" wheels (done 20k in it) and the current is on 19". I did not notice any change in comfort or handling. I run tyres at 36psi, as I find lower tyre pressure too soft. MPG is actually slightly better on the current RAV4, but it might be down to Li-Ion Battery compared to the Ni-Mh in the first one.
With AA and ACP I just use my phone and Spotify or Amazon music, never felt I need CD or USB drive.

• Like 2

I totally understand the struggle of picking the right car, especially when it comes to the details like seat material! I've got a bit of experience with both the Excel and Dynamic, so I'll do my best to give you some insight.

First off, if you're a fan of real leather and you know it works well for you, the Excel might be the better choice, simply because you're familiar with it and you know it's durable. If you've had such a great experience with your current RAV4's leather seats, it's a safe bet that the Excel will serve you well too.

On the other hand, the Softex Synthetic Leather in the Dynamic is worth considering. Although it's not real leather, Softex has a good reputation for being durable, easy to clean, and resistant to stains. Some folks even prefer it because it's an eco-friendlier option. I've heard from a few owners that their Softex seats have held up nicely over the years, and they're pretty happy with them.

Ultimately, it might come down to personal preference. If you can, try to visit a dealership and see if you can sit in both an Excel and a Dynamic. Get a feel for the seats and see which one you prefer.

Keep in mind that there might be other differences between the two trims beyond just the seat material, so make sure to consider those as well when making your decision.

Hope this helps! Good luck with your decision, and I hope you'll be enjoying your new RAV4 soon! 🚙😄

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rav4ster said:

I am on the second RAV4 gen 5. First was on 18" wheels (done 20k in it) and the current is on 19". I did not notice any change in comfort or handling...

I'm not surprised you didn't notice any change in comfort when going from 18" to 19" wheels because the outside diameter of 235/55R19 is over 29" so isn't lacking sidewall height.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Roger_N said:

There is a programme called EZ CD Audio Converter that will name all the tracks and give you cover art in most cases, I think you can use it for free for a week or two, it also gives the opportunity to copy are full quality or mp3 etc.

Worth a look if you are copying a lot of audio tracks.

This one is excellent too  https://www.exactaudiocopy.de/en/

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks again for your help everyone 😄 Gone for the Dynamic.  In true female style, it was the first RAV I test drove this year lol  and managed to get £1140 off the price, I don't know if that's a good enough discount in the current climate or not 😐...... 2019 Plate, 35k on clock,  £29.8k 😣 But she's immaculate and made me smile hugely!!!  Pick her up at the weekend.  Too excited!!  Need to get burning my CDs on to USB now...    

• Like 4

On 4/5/2023 at 4:20 PM, Hank Preston said:

I totally understand the struggle of picking the right car, especially when it comes to the details like seat material! I've got a bit of experience with both the Excel and Dynamic, so I'll do my best to give you some insight.

First off, if you're a fan of real leather and you know it works well for you, the Excel might be the better choice, simply because you're familiar with it and you know it's durable. If you've had such a great experience with your current RAV4's leather seats, it's a safe bet that the Excel will serve you well too.

On the other hand, the Softex Synthetic Leather in the Dynamic is worth considering. Although it's not real leather, Softex has a good reputation for being durable, easy to clean, and resistant to stains. Some folks even prefer it because it's an eco-friendlier option. I've heard from a few owners that their Softex seats have held up nicely over the years, and they're pretty happy with them.

Ultimately, it might come down to personal preference. If you can, try to visit a dealership and see if you can sit in both an Excel and a Dynamic. Get a feel for the seats and see which one you prefer.

Keep in mind that there might be other differences between the two trims beyond just the seat material, so make sure to consider those as well when making your decision.

Hope this helps! Good luck with your decision, and I hope you'll be enjoying your new RAV4 soon! 🚙😄

Thanks Hank for your reply too. This helped me in making the decision also.  Dynamic.  That and the fact it was the only car out of the 4 I test drove that made me really flipping happy!!  😄  Loved it!!!  Even though there is no sunroof and its got the black interior roof (I love light coming into the car) it still felt really great in there.  Picking her up on Saturday and v excited!!!

• Like 1

On 4/26/2023 at 2:00 PM, Zora2018 said:

Thanks again for your help everyone 😄 Gone for the Dynamic.  In true female style, it was the first RAV I test drove this year lol  and managed to get £1140 off the price, I don't know if that's a good enough discount in the current climate or not 😐...... 2019 Plate, 35k on clock,  £29.8k 😣 But she's immaculate and made me smile hugely!!!  Pick her up at the weekend.  Too excited!!  Need to get burning my CDs on to USB now...    

I’m sure you will enjoy your Dynamic, I had the same dilemma when I was looking to buy new in 2021, each had some features that I would have liked but I opted for the Dynamic with Pearlescent paint and Panoramic Roof.

Nearly 2 years and 20,000 miles on I’ve never regretted getting the Dynamic, for me it’s a much better looking car with the Bi-Tone paint, black alloys and gloss black exterior trim.

IMG_7864.jpeg

• Like 2

On 4/26/2023 at 2:00 PM, Zora2018 said:

Nah just subscribe to spotify or similar and stream from phone to the car.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Yugguy1970 said:

Nah just subscribe to spotify or similar and stream from phone to the car.

No don't subscribe to Spotify, as you've already paid for the music on CD!

• Like 3

Rip the albums into mp3 format then use a program like “Tag ‘N’ Rename” to tag all the albums, artist, songs etc, then you can search and play Albums or Tracks by Voice Command.

The USB drive needs to go into the port in front of the gear selector.

IMG_1379.jpeg

IMG_1373.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vainona70 said:

No don't subscribe to Spotify, as you've already paid for the music on CD!

thank you!! 😄 Exactly my logic 😄 I've burnt 60+ cds so far.  Works a dream in the car. Even remembers which track I was listening to if I remove the USB!  The only drag is it seems to sort the tracks in alphabetical order rather than Album track list - anyone know if I can change this perhaps???  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rigsby said:

I’m sure you will enjoy your Dynamic, I had the same dilemma when I was looking to buy new in 2021, each had some features that I would have liked but I opted for the Dynamic with Pearlescent paint and Panoramic Roof.

Nearly 2 years and 20,000 miles on I’ve never regretted getting the Dynamic, for me it’s a much better looking car with the Bi-Tone paint, black Alloys and gloss black exterior trim.

IMG_7864.jpeg

She's gorgeous!! I wanted to go for that exact spec also but I couldn't find the one at the right price - I wanted to buy in 2021 also (Please can I ask how much yours was??) - but I left it and now couldn't justify nor afford a brand new one at current prices. It pained me to spend so much on a second hand but have no choice - and worried they would only go up again...  Mine is Silver Blade and is striking.  Love it!!  Excuse the photo lol its the stock one from the website 🙂

1683130963968.jpg

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Zora2018 said:

She's gorgeous!! I wanted to go for that exact spec also but I couldn't find the one at the right price - I wanted to buy in 2021 also (Please can I ask how much yours was??) - but I left it and now couldn't justify nor afford a brand new one at current prices. It pained me to spend so much on a second hand but have no choice - and worried they would only go up again...  Mine is Silver Blade and is striking.  Love it!!  Excuse the photo lol its the stock one from the website 🙂

1683130963968.jpg

I borrowed a Silver Blade one from the dealer before I ordered mine, I really liked it but went for the White Pearl.

Ordered mine in April 2021, took delivery June 2021 on the road with Panoramic Roof and Pearlescent Paint £37,000

• Like 2

moved

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links