Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tooth Hurty

Bper

Well, I was looking at buying a new car but after visiting the dentist I will probably consider a second hand pair of shoes instead. So it seems that all dental work is now the price of a house and the dentists are driving around in new Tesla's and Ferrari's. When I asked for a bridge to replace a lost tooth, I didn't expect to actually spend the same money it would cost to build London Bridge at today's price.

Still, now I can only dream of winning the lottery and hope that I win enough to pay for a filling.😭

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

I knew a chap some years ago who was very proud of pulling his own teeth,this being before the high prices and shortage of dentists, so no idea why he did it.

His mouth looked like a burnt out fusebox.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

I knew a chap some years ago who was very proud of pulling his own teeth,this being before the high prices and shortage of dentists, so no idea why he did it.

His mouth looked like a burnt out fusebox.

Paul a burnt out fusbox, perhaps he was a bit con-fused but probably down to Earth and no doubt he wasn't well connected. However believing that joining the old red to red and black to black he blue to bits.😅

• Haha 3

I hope its a lot cheaper hear up North as I am going for a checkup shortly!.

• Like 2

I live in Cheshire, got a friend who has been told how much dental treatment for a few fillings is going to cost him privately (he moved from Glasgow about 5 year ago back to Cheshire, no NHS dentist has vacancies). He reckons it would be cheaper to get an appointment with his dentist in Glasgow, jump on an early morning plane (Liverpool/Manchester) up to Glasgow, get treated, and back home for the evening.   Crazy.

• Like 8

I lost a filling last night.  Emailed my dentist, got an appointment in 10 days time when I am back in UK. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Catlover said:

it would be cheaper to get an appointment with his dentist in Glasgow, jump on an early morning plane (Liverpool/Manchester)

Save pounds, go by air.  Years ago, daughter going from Newcastle to Cheltenham got a flight to Bristol £20 no comparison going by train via London. 

• Like 3

Karma I suppose, lost a big lump of ancient amalgam about an hour ago.

Got my name on a private dental clinic's waiting list to register before last Christmas, after my old clinic changed hands , still waiting to hear if accepted.

And of course it's good Friday and the Easter weekend, so even if there were any dentists available round here, including private, there would be more chance of herding cats than getting this fixed anytime soon.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We use JDRM who are Rutland and Leicestershire based.  7 days a week 7 to 7.   They can certainly pack people through. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Save pounds, go by air.  Years ago, daughter going from Newcastle to Cheltenham got a flight to Bristol £20 no comparison going by train via London. 

I do find it bizarre that taking a coach or even a plane is almost always much cheaper than taking the train! I feel they haven't got something right there...

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Luckily I have an NHS dentist 

Hi Roy, unfortunately it appears that very few NHS dentists want to carry out the treatment that you would think you are entitled to.

We use an NHS dentist locally but have to travel back to London to have any real treatment carried out. After some discussion with the dentist who was looking to charge over double the price we would pay in London, I was told the reason why it was so much dearer was wait for it, 'Because there is no competition'.

We have seen, like many people over a very short period of time, how we are having to pay privately to have fillings, bridges, root canal etc.,

It seems inevitable that NHS dental treatment will be phased out and private will be the norm. People are having to go to the hospitals for dental treatment due to unavailability and cost.

Dental practices are seeing how lucrative switching over to private is and follow sooner or later.

• Sad 2

12 hours ago, Catlover said:

I live in Cheshire, got a friend who has been told how much dental treatment for a few fillings is going to cost him privately (he moved from Glasgow about 5 year ago back to Cheshire, no NHS dentist has vacancies). He reckons it would be cheaper to get an appointment with his dentist in Glasgow, jump on an early morning plane (Liverpool/Manchester) up to Glasgow, get treated, and back home for the evening.   Crazy.

Hi Joe, the disparity between areas in astonishing.

• Like 3

On 4/7/2023 at 9:34 AM, Roy124 said:

I lost a filling last night.  Emailed my dentist, got an appointment in 10 days time when I am back in UK. 

Roy I hope this post hasn't integated dental problem for members. Blimey two of you have had problems since I posted this. 😂

• Haha 1

My eldest sister was a dentist, and NHS contracts have been an issue for at least 30 years, where the money the NHS allows for treatments is often too tight to cover actual costs.

BUPA have recently announced the closure of merger of 85 of their 475 practices which hold NHS contracts.

I've been with the same dental practice for over 60 years - although it has changed owners twice -and they dropped their NHS contract in the late 80's My wife is with another dental practice, and we both pay for our dental treatment through insurance (Denplan). 

NHS contracts have again been amended and now dental therapists can do routine treatment such as fillings, etc. So in time, where dental practices take on these therapists, etc, NHS contracts may become a bit more attractive, but don't hold your breath ......

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

My eldest sister was a dentist, and NHS contracts have been an issue for at least 30 years, where the money the NHS allows for treatments is often too tight to cover actual costs.

BUPA have recently announced the closure of merger of 85 of their 475 practices which hold NHS contracts.

I've been with the same dental practice for over 60 years - although it has changed owners twice -and they dropped their NHS contract in the late 80's My wife is with another dental practice, and we both pay for our dental treatment through insurance (Denplan). 

NHS contracts have again been amended and now dental therapists can do routine treatment such as fillings, etc. So in time, where dental practices take on these therapists, etc, NHS contracts may become a bit more attractive, but don't hold your breath ......

I think we all know that dental practices have seen difficulties with the NHS but the one thing that never changes is the pursuit of more money. It is inevitable that unless enough funding is giving to remaining NHS dentists they will all be private within the next few years.

The problem is the cost to the patient for private treatment is totally out of proportion to income. What the heck is happening not just to our taxes but to this country. Paying for private insurance is not an option for many families and so many are going to A&E or pulling teeth out themselves due to either no NHS dental in the area or unable to afford private treatment. 

• Sad 2

11 minutes ago, Bper said:

Paying for private insurance is not an option for many families and so many are going to A&E or pulling teeth out themselves due to either no NHS dental in the area or unable to afford private treatment. 

Which presumably is why Government has now amended contracts to allow the less well qualified dental therapists to practice within NHS contracts.

A dental therapist, like a dental hygienist, is only qualified to offer certain dental services, including some preventative and restorative services. However they cannot fit crowns on adult teeth, perform extractions, root canals, or carry out other more complex dental procedures. 

Similar to nurse practitioners and paramedics now providing services within GP practices. Although paramedics who migrate to GP practices are leaving shortages behind them in the ambulance services.

However, this isn't a quick fix, and the current situation will certainly continue for quite a while.

• Like 3

Many years ago we were talking with a Canadian who was soon to marry.  She mentioned, as if it was normal, that she was to have all her teeth removed before the wedding. 

It was to avoid future unaffordable treatment. 🥴

• Sad 3

OTOH, look at all the unnatural pearly whites you see on TV and film. 

• Haha 1

I've been with my present dental practice for a good few years but unfortunately the dentist who I like there has left and I have been transferred to one of the partners.

I've heard that she left partly because he wouldn't spend any money keeping up to date with equipment, etc and felt that she wasn't going anywhere.

I was in for a checkup a few weeks ago and it was freezing, the heating obviously was not on, sounds like the guy won't spend money 😕

• Like 2

Our previous dentist retired and shut the surgery after 189 years!

One of his surgeons (mine) moved to NZ, took one look, came home, rejoined his practice but then went private. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Our previous dentist retired and shut the surgery after 189 years!

One of his surgeons (mine) moved to NZ, took one look, came home, rejoined his practice but then went private. 

Hi Roy, he probably took one look at jacinda ardern and thought this place is going to be to much like hard work.😅

• Haha 1

She, and before jacinda. Take your point though. 

• Haha 1

On 4/7/2023 at 1:53 PM, Rhymes with Paris said:

Karma I suppose, lost a big lump of ancient amalgam about an hour ago.

Got my name on a private dental clinic's waiting list to register before last Christmas, after my old clinic changed hands , still waiting to hear if accepted.

And of course it's good Friday and the Easter weekend, so even if there were any dentists available round here, including private, there would be more chance of herding cats than getting this fixed anytime soon.

Sorry to hear that Paul but maybe you might want to get your house valued before you go.😭

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Bper said:

Roy I hope this post hasn't integated dental problem for members. Blimey two of you have had problems since I posted this. 😂

Yes Bob, it's obviously all your fault.😉

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links