Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Downloading maps in car vs laptop+usb

Charlton3k

Just checked and 2023 v1 is available. My car says it will download 200mb and install. So checked on the mytoyota restore to download it in the house but it's over 12gb! Is there any difference in the two? Sounds like it may be every map for every car etc so in car downloads the exact version, maybe? Is there any benefit in doing it either way? Cos I don't mind doing either, whichever gives me the best detailed maps, and extras or updates for the system itself?

OTA is a limited download IIRC for GB only. If you want the full mapping you need to USB transfer. 

1 minute ago, Roy124 said:

OTA is a limited download IIRC for GB only. If you want the full mapping you need to USB transfer. 

Cool I thought so. So I never really leave the country, I hardly drive out of my region hah, so no need for the big install?

Do check though as it may omit other bits you might need. 

29 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Do check though as it may omit other bits you might need. 

Yeah that's what I'm sort of worried about, I love having everything in the car up to date and any extras hah.

13 hours ago, Charlton3k said:

Just checked and 2023 v1 is available. My car says it will download 200mb and install. So checked on the mytoyota restore to download it in the house but it's over 12gb! Is there any difference in the two? Sounds like it may be every map for every car etc so in car downloads the exact version, maybe? Is there any benefit in doing it either way? Cos I don't mind doing either, whichever gives me the best detailed maps, and extras or updates for the system itself?

The OTA update will cover the local region and, optionally, up to three others - so quite enough mapping for most. You can specify the additional regions via My Toyota. But it will download at wifi speed while the car is on ...

The USB update covers all regions (without any option to be selective) and you can download via the fastest broadband connection that you have access to while the car is off. It then takes a little while to unpack to USB and, finally, around 75 minutes with the car in Ready mode to update the system from USB.

The OTA update doesn't replace the base map - it just updates the specified region(s). And, IIRC, you will eventually need to do a full update via USB to update the base map ...

• Like 1

I used to do USB updating.  Actually less painful as once on the USB stick it is load and leave. 

While doing the update do it in Ready mode with lights and conditioning off. 

22 hours ago, philip42h said:

The OTA update will cover the local region and, optionally, up to three others - so quite enough mapping for most. You can specify the additional regions via My Toyota. But it will download at wifi speed while the car is on ...

The USB update covers all regions (without any option to be selective) and you can download via the fastest broadband connection that you have access to while the car is off. It then takes a little while to unpack to USB and, finally, around 75 minutes with the car in Ready mode to update the system from USB.

The OTA update doesn't replace the base map - it just updates the specified region(s). And, IIRC, you will eventually need to do a full update via USB to update the base map ...

Ahh the base map. That's what I was wondering about with the file sizes. 

21 hours ago, Roy124 said:

I used to do USB updating.  Actually less painful as once on the USB stick it is load and leave. 

While doing the update do it in Ready mode with lights and conditioning off. 

Yeh just leaving it on, car fob in the car but locked with the key for safety. How do you turn the running lights off though. They're always on for me.

By lights I meant headlight or sidelight as my car would be in the garage and Auto lights would be on.  Same if you did the update in poor light or after dark. 

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links