Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Led headlamp question

SparksAreFlying

Hi I have a 2018 Prius and had the drivers side headlamp replaced as it was damaged when someone hit my car in a car park. 

I was driving last night and noticed the dipped headlamp didn’t seem to be as good as I remember. In particular directly ahead it didn’t seem to go far and had a very distinct u shape to it. 

im wondering if potentially a left hand drive unit has been fitted instead of a right hand drive version? Is there a way to tell?

many thanks

If you're in the UK as per your profile, a right hand drive unit would be correct.

• Like 1

Hi, 

there are possibilities for mistakes. In some Toyota models there are different headlights set up between the different trim levels of the same model, li,e in Corolla for example. If Prius is similar they might have fitted incorrect unit, or perhaps as you say for cars with LHD. 
Or the headlight might not be aligned correctly or level positioned with tester like on mot’s. Perhaps back to the garage who done the job and explain to them. 
At night if you park against wall at around  5-6 metres away you can see the light pattern projecting onto the wall, note if both lights has same pattern, height and density. Like this picture but these are non led lights so yours will look differently. image.thumb.jpeg.122fda345e816cec4938ba0d535b4a16.jpeg

• Like 2

My bad got my left and right wrong I did it as in drive on the left 😂 

22 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

If you're in the UK as per your profile, a right hand drive unit would be correct.

26 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, 

there are possibilities for mistakes. In some Toyota models there are different headlights set up between the different trim levels of the same model, li,e in Corolla for example. If Prius is similar they might have fitted incorrect unit, or perhaps as you say for cars with LHD. 
Or the headlight might not be aligned correctly or level positioned with tester like on mot’s. Perhaps back to the garage who done the job and explain to them. 
At night if you park against wall at around  5-6 metres away you can see the light pattern projecting onto the wall, note if both lights has same pattern, height and density. Like this picture but these are non led lights so yours will look differently. image.thumb.jpeg.122fda345e816cec4938ba0d535b4a16.jpeg

I will give this a go when it’s darker tonight. Not sure on levelling all they seem to be self levelling as when you initially turn the car on they move up and down slightly before setting themselves 

thanks

On 4/20/2023 at 8:26 AM, SparksAreFlying said:

... Not sure on levelling all they seem to be self levelling as when you initially turn the car on they move up and down slightly before setting themselves 

I have never seen mine do a self level test as I see them come on when in the garage.  My previous car with Xenons used to do that, but I have not seen it happen with the LED's?

When I had my last service I asked them to check the alignment as I find them too low.  Driving on an unlit section of motorway I really couldn't see very far at all.  They did make an adjustment and put them up as high as they can go to pass the MOT.  They are a bit better, but not by much.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links