Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

E210 2.0 hybrid engine oil

taxidriver50005

What's recommended oil for this car, book says 0w/20 but dealer puts on 0w/16...

I thought dealers was correct but book differs 🤔

The car most likely came out of the factory with 0w16 but using 0w20 won’t be a problem.
These two viscosity oils are very similar.  
For best efficiency use 0w16. Avoid using 5w30, and do changes at every 10k miles or earlier, not later ., that’s all you need to follow. And don’t buy cheap or unknown brands as you maybe buying  Tony’s old oil recycled, cleaned and put back into a sale package 😂👌

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

0W-16 is Toyota's preferred oil.

The owners manual probably has the usual Toyota advice saying that '0W20 may be used but should be replaced with 0W16 at the next service'.

At next service, ask for 0W16 to be used.

• Like 4

Funny book says 5w/30 is suitable too.... Always do 10,000 or less and always buy any brand of the right spec, other car gen 3 prius 350,000 miles and head gasket blow a few weeks ago,  mechanic took head off today and commented how clean and free from wear everthink was... Also very little vanish inside motor. 

IMG_20230421_164834.jpg

IMG_20230421_163910.jpg

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

0W-16 is Toyota's preferred oil.

The owners manual probably has the usual Toyota advice saying that '0W20 may be used but should be replaced with 0W16 at the next service'.

At next service, ask for 0W16 to be used.

0w/16 was used... Just differs from book

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

The car most likely came out of the factory with 0w16 but using 0w20 won’t be a problem.
These two viscosity oils are very similar.  
For best efficiency use 0w16. Avoid using 5w30, and do changes at every 10k miles or earlier, not later ., that’s all you need to follow. And don’t buy cheap or unknown brands as you maybe buying  Tony’s old oil recycled, cleaned and put back into a sale package 😂👌

548CF746-C77B-4E04-9039-3B4808785443.MOV

That will be used to make a batch of Duckhams oil

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, taxidriver50005 said:

gen 3 prius 350,000 miles and head gasket blow a few weeks ago,  mechanic took head off today and commented how clean and free from wear everthink was... Also very little vanish inside motor. 

👌 New head gasket and roll on the next 350K. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had a 2016 Prius for 3.5 years.  Toyota service started off with 0w-20 then in the last year it went to 0w-16. I assume 0w-16 only became commonly available a few years ago.  I ALWAYS informed the service desk when booking in I wanted 0w-20, and then later 0w-16.  Coming on this forum aways kept me up to date what oils Mr Toyota recommended and that’s what I wanted.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My preference would depend on how you use the car. If you generally only use the car for local journeys then stick to 0w 16 for efficiency in stop start conditions when the engine will be starting regularly. If you do more longer high speed journeys then 0w 20 would give your engine better overall protection in those conditions when the engine will run hotter for longer periods and run less often in electric only mode.

Well my prius was switched to 5w/30 from 140,000 and doesn't seam any worse for it so maybe 0w/20 will be OK too. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/21/2023 at 11:17 PM, APS said:

👌 New head gasket and roll on the next 350K. 👍

All done, sad thing is its actually quiter and more economical than my newish corolla... Not quite as nice to drive but as 20% of the value it's a belter. 

• Like 2

For taxi 1.8 are better suited. Prius usually are more efficient than Corolla or Auris because of the aerodynamic shape. I had few Priuses both classic and plus, and two Auris. Plus and Auris tiger with Corolla 2.0 use heavier drive shafts, bigger discs and callipers, extra unsprung mass which also affects efficiency. Another thing with 2.0 because they are more powerful they may stimulate the driver to be more on the fun side than economy wheel driving. 

• Like 2

Yeah, I reckon the 2.0 could match the 1.8 for mpg as it has a higher peak efficiency, but it would require a LOT of discipline because having all that power so close is very hard to resist! :whistling1:

I'm finding even if I only use half-pedal pressure in my Mk4, I'm still often pulling away from people at the lights, which means I am accelerating faster than I think I am! Eventually they catch up as their engines spool up, but I'm usually half-way to the next set of light by then!

In my old cars I'd initially use more pedal pressure to compensate for the natural ICE lag and then ease off as it climbed up the revs, to keep a smooth constant rate of acceleration, but in the hybrid I can just apply a given pedal pressure and the car will just accelerate at that rate constantly. I still haven't quite gotten used to that as I'm so used to the rate of acceleration increasing faster and faster if I hold the accelerator at the same position in a normal car.

• Like 1

I reckon 1.8 is more efficient more of the time, unless your climbing hills or under high loads when 2.0 is effortless and far more efficient, if your trying to keep pace with 2.0 you will use more fuel but if you driving for economy 1.8 is better. 

• Like 1

On 4/21/2023 at 8:17 PM, taxidriver50005 said:

Funny book says 5w/30 is suitable too.... Always do 10,000 or less and always buy any brand of the right spec, other car gen 3 prius 350,000 miles and head gasket blow a few weeks ago,  mechanic took head off today and commented how clean and free from wear everthink was... Also very little vanish inside motor. 

IMG_20230421_164834.jpg

IMG_20230421_163910.jpg

Is your Prius is 2009-2012? I hope you got the revised head gasket version. Toyota revised the head gasket on 2013 model. It should be thougher than the old head gasket.   I know 5w-30 are cheap and easy to find. But you should use full synthetic  longlife Dexos 1 or VW506/507 certified for 5w30 or 0W-30, they are better oil than minimal standard API SN or ISLAC 5.  I think 0w-30 or 0w-20 work better for 3gen 2ZR engines and 0w-16 are definitely only for 4th gen.  It is better to run cheaper 0w-20 and change it 2x a year than 0w-16 but once a year.  I prefer easily available and often cheaper OEM 0W-20 from Dexos GM/Opel/Vauxhaull, VW 508/509, or Mobil 1 SP2 than older Toyota genuine oil/Mobil 1 AFE 0w-20.  Newest Toyota 0w-20 API SP is better than older API SN but not as good as Dexos standard.  I know that  Dexos 1 gen2/3 required lower threshold wear limit and more tests than API SP or ILSAC 6 oil.  

Your Prius in higher speed  is more efficient than any Corolla because of the wedge shape and much lower coefficient of drag.  Even Auris 2 has lower drag coeficient than corolla.  But 4th gen powertrain is always more efficient and refine in town and medium speed.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links