Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Intermittent pulsating brake pedal.

peter.ling24@gmail.com

2-3 times now, whilst braking gently, there is a dull pulsating feeling from the brake pedal. My son has felt it too, so I’m not imagining it. Because it intermittent, I’ve dismissed warped discs. Brake work OK. It’s not like the violent feeling of the ABS. Any ideas please. The car is a 2005 T25 2.2 diesel T spirit with 82,000 miles.

appreciate your advice/comments

peter

Hi, 

does it do it only when pushed harder and not when slowing down lightly? 
When was the last time the brake callipers been cleaned serviced and slider pins lubricated? Stuck slider pins or stuck piston can cause these abnormalities and they can be picked on the mot test too, not always though. 

• Like 2

Hi TonyHSD.

It has been some time since I inspected the brakes on each wheel. I did change the front brake pads a couple of years ago. I apply a little copper slip to the edges of the pads. Don’t do many miles at all. You’ve got me thinking.

thanks very much Tony.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, peter.ling24@gmail.com said:

Hi TonyHSD.

It has been some time since I inspected the brakes on each wheel. I did change the front brake pads a couple of years ago. I apply a little copper slip to the edges of the pads. Don’t do many miles at all. You’ve got me thinking.

thanks very much Tony.

Hi Peter, 

if me I will dismantle pads, discs and callipers on all 4 corners.  Will give all components a good soft wire brush and brake cleaner spray clean, make sure all mounting surfaces are clean from rust, grease and dirt.
Hubs and wheels too, I will check pistons for free return, clean and lube the slider pins and put back in all parts without using any grease anywhere except the slider pins. I found using any grease anywhere on the brake system cause DTV ( disc thickness variation) and vibrations soon after new parts installed, perhaps 1000-2000 miles later in most cases. Torque the wheels nuts to specs also prevents vibrations issues. My Toyota Auris is 103Nm and many other Toyota models , perhaps yours will be same or similar but best to check in the book. Another tip and check is to spin the wheels by hand to see if they are rotating freely, some resistance it’s normal but should be ok to rotate easily. 
Good luck 

• Like 2

Hi tonyHSD,

excellent suggestions. As soon as my back is up to it, I’ll do as you suggest. Good idea to raise the car and spin the wheels. That could say a lot.

thank you tonyHSD.👍

• Like 1

my last car had this problem i bought new brake discs ( motorfacter dung) and pads plus i did my breaks myself so for sure my calipers were well copper greased up and all working great. was not long until the discs went again shaking .this was the main problem that i eventually got rid of my last car down to this problem. its only after i sold it i came to a conclusion what was the problem it had to be the motor factor discs and pads .i should have went for genuine discs and pads so. with buying this toyota my car needed new break pads on the back so i knew would be a pain with this push button handbreak as i bought genuine toyote disc also and i did my rear discs and pads myself i looked online what was the right way to do my pads and discs and so i did it . the car is going great and well tbh i dont miss the pulsating breaks . 

3 hours ago, peter.ling24@gmail.com said:

Hi tonyHSD,

excellent suggestions. As soon as my back is up to it, I’ll do as you suggest. Good idea to raise the car and spin the wheels. That could say a lot.

thank you tonyHSD.👍

You are welcome. 

I have this problem too and Toyota think it’s the wheel speed sensor because of corrosion 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Lee518

appreciate your suggestion.

peter ling.

On 5/20/2023 at 6:52 AM, peter.ling24@gmail.com said:

Thanks Lee518

appreciate your suggestion.

peter ling.

Did it fix the problem 

Sounds like the same problem as  described here:

It looks like an Avensis problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you seb_90.

appreciate you comments. You could be right. It hasn’t done it now for several months now.

thank you

peter

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links