Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

First Time Buyer...

Phil Biscuit

Hi all!

Have always wanted a celica and I've found one locally that (I think) doesn't look half bad for £1700 (images and description attached):

1.thumb.PNG.6893b83675a5b864debb37ea20dd4179.PNG

2.thumb.PNG.668910149101dd972830a60303a10384.PNG

3.thumb.PNG.e2872530f039ab95751f7d9d5b2ef322.PNG
From what I've read, there are some celica with engines that aren't so hot; what do we think of the one shown in this advertisement? Is this a car I should consider buying? Thanks!!!

The MOT history mentions corrosion a lot, and then the latest one doesn't?

Private, dealer? HPI check? Due diligence etc... Service history?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PCM said:

The MOT history mentions corrosion a lot, and then the latest one doesn't?

Private, dealer? HPI check? Due diligence etc... Service history?

Private dealer: says he's had it the past couple years and it runs without any issues (but why would he say otherwise right?). Asked him about the corrosion and he said he had it undersprayed recently:

IMG_4962.thumb.jpg.fe765a3bc870257b5fe8a4cb7c7069d0.jpgIMG_4964.thumb.jpg.87bf37d8fbdb5597b0f32c9dc916bcec.jpg

Service history: he says he's unable to find any paperwork from the previous owner but he's maintained it regularly since he purchased it so know it's been looked after for the past few years or so at least. 

• Thanks 1

i would be wary of the underseal as it can cover all sorts of sins and can hold the moisture, accelerating the rot

looking at the MOT history it goes from heavily corroded to just monitor but in those pics It's still heavily corroded but with underseal over it, MOT tester can't test what they can't see

the front subframe and front brace look compromised to me rear doesn't look much better

Mileage - no MOT 2019 and 2020, and it only did 4300 miles between 18 and 2021, it's done 30 miles since then and the MOT is due in July, the underseal was done in June 2021, so they are old pics

Don't walk, but Run away from it as fast as you can unless you like pain and large bills

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, flash22 said:

i would be wary of the underseal as it can cover all sorts of sins and can hold the moisture, accelerating the rot

looking at the MOT history it goes from heavily corroded to just monitor but in those pics It's still heavily corroded but with underseal over it, MOT tester can't test what they can't see

the front subframe and front brace look compromised to me rear doesn't look much better

Mileage - no MOT 2019 and 2020, and it only did 4300 miles between 18 and 2021, it's done 30 miles since then and the MOT is due in July, the underseal was done in June 2021, so they are old pics

Don't walk, but Run away from it as fast as you can unless you like pain and large bills

Was completely prepared to go and collect it today. Following from this, I'll definitely look elsewhere. Thank you for helping me avoid a headache!!! Back to the local listings

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rust is the killer of this gen celica - if you can diy and want it as a project, you need to buy it right, parts can be a mare on these, esp suspension and subframes and the cost adds up quickly without the usual old car problems

• Like 2

Yeah it's tricky that as you have no way of knowing if they sorted out the corrosion and then undersprayed it, or just undersprayed over the corrosion!!

• Like 3

22 hours ago, flash22 said:

Rust is the killer of this gen celica

Exactly right!.

They used to be great cars, indeed, I ran a Gen 7 for 17 years, but they've had their day, and were not built to last. I let mine go after under 30k, as I knew the subframes and exhaust were not going to last much longer.

Your pic. shows the pre face lift 140, that's the model with the highest risk of the infamous oil burning issue destroying the engine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links