Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Grinding noise from fan belt area?

Phil Biscuit

Hi all,

Just bought a 2006 Celica and noticed this grinding/scraping noise from somewhere around the fan belt. Sounds like something dragging along concrete almost, video:

The same noise can be heard while driving and seemed to get louder (not faster though) after driving for an hour or so.

The belt itself is in pretty poor condition so I'll be replacing that but just trying to pinpoint this grinding sound. Read something online about a bad alternator bearing? What're your thoughts on this? Other than this issue, the car runs perfectly.

Following from my last post, I took the fan belt off and noticed the water pump pulley has quite a bit of play (in and out). Would this be the cause of that grinding noise? 

• Like 1

That definitely sounds like a bearing. If the waterpump has play in it, that would be the first thing to replace. The belt will cause you no issues.

• Like 2

And congratulations on your purchase! Nice to see fun cars being looked after. Enjoy!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, APS said:

And congratulations on your purchase! Nice to see fun cars being looked after. Enjoy!

Thank you!!! Honestly so excited to start driving this properly. I'll replace that pump and report back with the results 

• Like 2

UPDATE!!!

Replaced the water pump, noise seems to have disappeared. Planning to take the car out for a good run tomorrow to properly test but no noise immediately following belt and pump replacement! Happy times

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Phil Biscuit said:

Replaced the water pump, noise seems to have disappeared. Planning to take the car out for a good run tomorrow to properly test but no noise immediately following belt and pump replacement! Happy times

Nice work! It is certainly B-road-Celica-testing weather today 🙂 

• Like 1

Alright, final update on this one!

Been driving it around for a couple days now, absolutely no noise at all. Was indeed the water pump! A couple things if anyone might want to tackle this job themselves:

- Remove the driver's front wheel and splash shield, gives you so much access to the bottom two bolts of the pump and also makes putting the belt back on a piece of cake. 

- Make sure you have a proper tool for removing belt tension. I nearly stripped the 19mm nut on the tensioner using a regular wrench because the top of the engine is just slightly in the way and meant my spanner sat on the nut at an angle. Buy the tool! Trying to get the belt on without it was genuinely the hardest part of this job.

Was quoted around £250 for this replacement; did it myself for under £100 and the satisfaction of doing it was fantastic. Thank you everyone!!! 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links