Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Keyless entry issue

JohnGW

Recently using the keyless entry has sometimes caused an issue where the car will beep 10 times but not unlock so I have had to use the emergency key to unlock it.

I did wonder if my new phone holder clipped to the drivers air vent by the side glass was causing a problem with it wirelessly charging my phone so possibly putting out interference so have removed it but the fault has continued on occassions. Both fobs same issue, both fobs new batteries so I am thinking more towards the receiver coil end. Anyone had any experience or offer any ideas please?

What style key do you have ? Possibly a lock actuator fault

i will have to look up the beep codes if i can find it

Hi Bob,

Lock actuator fault? now you mention it, the drivers armrest door card, door lock and unlock switch has become un reliable too. the lock side works 100% but unlock is intermittent, could the two faults be connected?

key fob.jpg

Yes, if the switch got a good soaking that could be the issue, try unplugging the switch - does your car have the red toggle by the interior door handles, if so the cable/linkage could be getting stuck in the locked position - door card off clean and lube

• Like 3

Thanks Bob, I have some de-oxidising switch cleaner and plenty of linkage lube so will give that go. Many thanks again for the quick response

• Like 2

@flash22

Thanks Bob, as an engineer, I only change 1 thing at a time and the de-oxidising switch cleaner short burst into the door open/close rocker switch has solved the issue, 100% success rate so far. Cheers again.

• Like 3

A nice simple fix then, door switches in general are prone to it, everything is built to a price - i have come across designs with open contacts onto copper tracks on the PCB, add in moisture, and they're fun to fix............... not

nothing like having the information to diagnose the issue, a lot of diagnostics is a case of pick a target and go down that rabbit hole first, sometimes you get lucky and other times it's a really obscure fix

• Like 3

Me and my big mouth!  needed another tiny squirt of de-oxidising switch cleaner today so clearly a build up on the contact faces so I think I shall take off the switch and give it a proper clean next week. Have to take the door card off anyway to install one of the cameras for the 360 degree set.

Do it on a table with a mat or a cloth down and watch out for the contacts and springs, spray and give the contacts a scrub

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Update, keyless entry still giving issues so off came the door card. The fake wood trim around the switch cluster is very poor quality for Toyota the mounting tabs just crumbled to pieces so probably be the hot glue gun to get that back in place. The switch cluster does not look dismantlable so blew switch cleaner in. I have left it disconnected and also the connection to the door sensor/actuator so I can see if it happens with the fob or other doors. Being intermittent its a slow job. 

• Thanks 1

Still no joy with this intermittent fault, drivers door switch disconnected and it still occurs occasionally so now to look at the door lock control box which I believe is inside the drivers kick panel.

• Sad 1

do you have power doors ? Inspect and clean the contacts

All the locking is controlled through the BCM aka body ecu, this is part of the fuse box/instrument panel junction box that lives behind the glovebox

at this point you need techstream to see if there are any hidden codes and do a function check

Yes to power doors but all is working fine when the system opens the doors.  I will take a look at fault codes tomorrow. 

You need Techstream to do any in-depth testing

It seems to have stopped functioning now but you can still lock the car from the door hande buttons on the outside but trying to open just gets 10 bleeps. Found the smart key unit next to what looks like the ECU by the drivers kick panel. Looking at other models of Toyota, they also have a door control module often in the rear pillar. That fuse box lump in the glove box area is quite some unit as well so will wait for techstream before delving into that. V little info on the web for estima smart door issues.

10 hours ago, JohnGW said:

It seems to have stopped functioning now but you can still lock the car from the door hande buttons on the outside but trying to open just gets 10 bleeps. Found the smart key unit next to what looks like the ECU by the drivers kick panel. Looking at other models of Toyota, they also have a door control module often in the rear pillar. That fuse box lump in the glove box area is quite some unit as well so will wait for techstream before delving into that. V little info on the web for estima smart door issues.

Toyota tech really is very reliable, so either the issue with yours is unusual, or the issue is something else.

Yes Paul, owned a few over the years. Its interesting that the doors will all lock with the fob or the door handle button but wont open that way. Fob gives usuall two bleeps and indicator flashes but wont unlock. Touching the handle any of them gives 10 bleeps but wont open. Will look into the techstream systems when gear arrives.

10 beeps poss 5 + 5 beeps, that's a lock actuator fault on the driver's door

IIRC it was 06 on cars that changed over to bcm lock control, the other module is the verification ecu

techstream gives you full bidirectional control of the BCM aka B-ecu and locking system

the alphard/veilfire has a very similar locking system - there seems more info on these that the Estima

• Like 1

I dont suppose the wiring diagrams are that much different either so the looms might be used on more than one vehicle. Will just have to wait until the kit arrives to interrogate the ECU. Booked to go to a breakers yard so I can quickly learn where stuff is without risking breakage of plastic trim etc and to save time.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, flash22 said:

10 beeps poss 5 + 5 beeps, that's a lock actuator fault on the driver's door

I reckon you are probably right, knackered lock motor sending bad signal to ECU. The bi directional lock motor is fine in the lock direction but failed in the unlock direction, disconnecting the lock motor wiring probably gives the ECU the same signal that the lock hasnt operated theough a fault, I see the system has lock position sensors so that combined with a motor that only goes in one direction would make sense. Techstream should arrive today!

Sitting here playing with Techstream...... 

With the active test I can lock the doors but not unlock. Lock position sensors are working not a sound on the unlock, First place will be a fuse check assuming they are separate fuses, although that wouldnt cover why the system went intermittent.  Will also try to find the relay as they do go intermittent. Feeling more expensive by the minute.

I know you all want to hear what the solution was but you'll have to wait a bit longer. 😊

• Like 1