Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Weird behaviour

Simone80

temperatures here are quite weird for may as its raining here and there a lot, so 13c in the morning and 20c evening

but the car haven't behaved like this neither in winter or last summer

now for science I am trying to avoid for some day full release of the throttle and gently slow down using a little the electric motor (and Battery ofc) to understand if something will change, and if it changes something by starting the (little) downhill at 4/8 Battery instead the usuals 5/8

What's interesting to me is that the OP said the Battery as showing 50%, do you mean the Battery indicator? Mine never changes, its always the same regardless of how I drive

On 5/17/2023 at 2:09 PM, Simone80 said:

so, went to the dealer and obviously the car in that 10minutes trip with the mechanic ran fine

I told them what it does and they kindly say that without errors in the dash or error in the diagnose system can't open a request to Toyota

so I guess I have to live forever with this """"""malfunction"""""" 😡

I assume that means there were no codes to be read? Which, in turn, means that there isn't a 'fault' to be resolved.  As folk have said, the Toyota hybrid system behaves in strange ways at times but it probably knows best.

I live 'up' a hill so go 'down' to get out and gently 'drift' down with my foot very lightly on the brake pedal - it's a single track road and you never know when you are going to meet someone coming up! On occasions, like this morning, the car will decide that it wants to start the engine ... that's just what it does! 😉

• Like 2

On 5/21/2023 at 2:31 PM, UncleZen said:

What's interesting to me is that the OP said the battery as showing 50%, do you mean the battery indicator? Mine never changes, its always the same regardless of how I drive

how is it possibile? if you run downhill and you do not engage the throttle, the hybrid Battery will recharge

5 minutes ago, Simone80 said:

how is it possibile? if you run downhill and you do not engage the throttle, the hybrid battery will recharge

Probably never drive long enough downhill. Some other members with Corolla 2.0 h reported previously that their hybrids batteries mostly remain at around half charge which is good because when the Battery start to go quickly too low or recharges quickly full means it’s on her last moment, which btw can be few more months or years. 👍

5 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Probably never drive long enough downhill. Some other members with Corolla 2.0 h reported previously that their hybrids batteries mostly remain at around half charge which is good because when the battery start to go quickly too low or recharges quickly full means it’s on her last moment, which btw can be few more months or years. 👍

I haven’t read all the posts, but I have lots of hills around here and and my car is running downhill ice not running foot off the accelerator the car charges the traction Battery.

• Like 2

On 5/23/2023 at 9:21 PM, Bernard Foy said:

I haven’t read all the posts, but I have lots of hills around here and and my car is running downhill ice not running foot off the accelerator the car charges the traction battery.

The same here, the other day I broke my record and did 18.5kms and the display showed 0.6ltr/100kms.

On 5/23/2023 at 7:21 PM, Bernard Foy said:

I haven’t read all the posts, but I have lots of hills around here and and my car is running downhill ice not running foot off the accelerator the car charges the traction battery.

And that, indeed, is the normal state of affairs - it's what we would expect. But, as per the thread title, we also sometimes see "weird behaviour" where the ICE runs and we don't really know why. This is also 'normal' ... 😉

• Like 1

I stand corrected! For the first time today I saw the Battery charge increase.

I had been just moving the car around from drive to road and back for 2 days and not actually driving anywhere. All this was done using the electric motor (cars choice, not mine) and when I went to use the car for a journey, I noticed the engine was running when it usually wouldn't be, the graphic showing it was charging the traction Battery, its then I noticed the charge increase on the graphic from 3 bars to 4 bars. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links