Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel pump replacement '99 1.6 petrol & OBD?

friendscar

Hi,

This is for a friend's car, a '99 1.6 petrol saloon, it says AT220R in the name plate, so I believe it's a T220 model?

Fuel pump is gone so I removed the pump/sender unit assembly and removed the pump from same. I assumed a new pump would be the complete black plastic part shown in the pic, but when I went searching online for a new one, all the pics of pumps show something very different, see link below

https://www.auto-doc.ie/meat-doria/7282727

It seems I have to take the black plastic housing apart?

As I was not expecting to have to do this I didn't examine it with that in mind, and time will be limited when I next visit him to have another look, so looking for info on this beforehand, thanks.

Also, the fuel level sender seemed a bit stiff, I expected the float to fall down under it's own weight but it didn't do this, is this normal?

Finally, does this car have OBD2? I could not find the port, checked all under the steering wheel, glove box and fuse box in engine bay.

Cheers!

IMG_20230513_172504.jpg

IMG_20230513_173620.jpg

• Like 1

Just to update you all, fitted a used pump/sender assembly yesterday all ok now so don't need any further help.

• Like 1

Glad you sorted the problem. In answer to your question, pre-facelift cars with the 4A (1.60 and 7A(1.8) engines are not ODB2 compliant, even though there is an OBD socket. There is label on the cam cover identifying the engine. High level diagnostics like Toyota Techstream might be able to work with the car. When I owned my old '98 Mk1, I had a fault with the O2/lean sensor, so I used a paperclip method to link pins of the OBD socket, turn the key to IGN, and the EML flashed Morse code style 21. There is a list of what the numbers mean and 21 is the O2 sensor. The same method is used to diagnose the ABS and SRS systems.
Hopefully your friend won't need to do any diagnostics.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Konrad,

Thanks for that info. Although I was 100% sure the pump was gone, the car had been sat unused for over a year, so I was expecting to have to deal with other issues once the pump was installed, that's why I asked about ODB. Thankfully it fired up right away (I cranked it without the plugs in to prime the fuel rail and injectors first).

I've forgotten the engine code now, but yes it was written on it.

I forgot to add, if your car is VVTi variant (3ZZ-FE), it will be OBD2 compliant and most diagnostics will work with the car. There is usually a plastic engine cover on these engines with VVT-i embossed on it, plastic intake manifold at the front. The older non-OBD2 engines have plain aluminium cam covers, alloy intake manifold to the rear and exhaust manifold at the front. Helps with knowing what engine you have.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links