Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2nd year service today

Hybrid21

My RAV4 is in for it's 2nd year service, thought it would take about two hours or so, but they said it is due a software download which takes about an hour 😕

Anyone had this at the 2nd year service, seems strange as everything has been fine ?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hybrid21 said:

My RAV4 is in for it's 2nd year service, thought it would take about two hours or so, but they said it is due a software download which takes about an hour 😕

Anyone had this at the 2nd year service, seems strange as everything has been fine ?

I had my 2yr service a couple of weeks ago. Everything was fine with the service itself other than that the technician entered the mileage as 112k instead of 12k on the hybrid check. That is still to be corrected because... I too had a "recall" software update that should have taken about an hour or so... but no.

The technician tried 3 times to get the software update completed but each time the update got to the end and then threw an error. I am now told the the DCM needs to be replaced (I think they bricked it) and one has been ordered. It on its way and will be here on 30 May. Only then can they complete the "recall" and perform another hybrid health check in order to get the recorded mileage corrected.

Meanwhile I have no SOS system, no SatNav - the car thinks it is currently in Germany - and the compass has a wildly varying opinion as to which way is north. It is also not connected to MyT so no journeys are recorded, no Hybrid coaching and no vehicle location logged.

To say that I am not happy with that technician would be an understatement. It is only offset by the customer service and how they are trying to put the situation right. Hopefully, once the new DCM arrives it will be a quick fit as software should already be up to date, do another health check to correct the mileage and everything else should spring back into life.

It's not that mistakes happen or problems occur. It matters only how they are dealt with and this circumstance will determine whether I continue to use this dealer - did I mention they do have superb customer service - or whether some very harsh letters and phone calls to Toyota are required.

I hope your 2yr service is as painless as mine started out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Funny how these software downloads take so long or fail at the last part of the download. Unless the connection is broken or the codeing of the software hasn't been tested properly it could of course be user error or the laptop they are downloading to.

Still seems to be a pretty common occurrence going by previous threads on software updates. Could of course be predictive text download then totally undertand that.😅

• Like 1

I’m due to take the car for its second service, R4P, next Tuesday. I’ve opted to wait so really hope mine gets through without issues.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Strangely Brown said:

The technician tried 3 times to get the software update completed but each time the update got to the end and then threw an error. I am now told the the DCM needs to be replaced (I think they bricked it) and one has been ordered. It on its way and will be here on 30 May. Only then can they complete the "recall" and perform another hybrid health check in order to get the recorded mileage corrected.

I thought at one stage they pulled the update on the DCM because of this risk and the lack of DCMs if it did go wrong. I had mine done before they pulled it, and thankfully no issues.

Perhaps they've restarted it now they have a supply but it would be nice to think they would have one in stock or immediately available before attempting it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Strangely Brown said:

I had my 2yr service a couple of weeks ago. Everything was fine with the service itself other than that the technician entered the mileage as 112k instead of 12k on the hybrid check. That is still to be corrected because... I too had a "recall" software update that should have taken about an hour or so... but no.

Meanwhile I have no SOS system, no SatNav - the car thinks it is currently in Germany - and the compass has a wildly varying opinion as to which way is north. It is also not connected to MyT so no journeys are recorded, no Hybrid coaching and no vehicle location logged.

To say that I am not happy with that technician would be an understatement. It is only offset by the customer service and how they are trying to put the situation right. Hopefully, once the new DCM arrives it will be a quick fit as software should already be up to date, do another health check to correct the mileage and everything else should spring back into life.

It's not that mistakes happen or problems occur. It matters only how they are dealt with and this circumstance will determine whether I continue to use this dealer - did I mention they do have superb customer service - or whether some very harsh letters and phone calls to Toyota are required.

I hope your 2yr service is as painless as mine started out.

Hi Mark, yes my service went ok apart from the oil overfill same as last year ☹️

I took about 500ml out of the dipstick, same as last year 😀 and tyres inflated to 36psi which I reduced to around 34psi.

Software download seemed to go ok, sorry to hear about your experience ☹️

IMG_20230518_133520450.thumb.jpg.021b3de71eec635b2f1ed69aa34f2c43.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, nlee said:

I thought at one stage they pulled the update on the DCM because of this risk and the lack of DCMs if it did go wrong. I had mine done before they pulled it, and thankfully no issues.

Perhaps they've restarted it now they have a supply but it would be nice to think they would have one in stock or immediately available before attempting it.

I made that very point to the service guy myself. If it is known that some software upgrades are or risk being problematic to the point of bricking the module then yes, you would think it only prudent to ensure a replacement was available, at least within a day or so, before starting.

2 hours ago, Hybrid21 said:

Hi Mark, yes my service went ok apart from the oil overfill same as last year ☹️

I took about 500ml out of the dipstick, same as last year 😀 and tyres inflated to 36psi which I reduced to around 34psi.

Glad yours went OK.

I had an overfill at the 1yr service last year too for which I took the car back and told the dealer to correct it (different dealer). This year I made the point that it MUST NOT be overfilled and that I would be checking it before leaving and, to their credit, the level was good when I checked.

The oil was listed as 0w20 on the invoice so I asked them, conversationally, whether they have a good supply of 0w16 in the workshop. The manager went to check and came with the answer yes. I then asked if that is the case why they had used 0w20 and showed him the invoice. The technician that did the oil change was brought out and he assured me that he had used 0w16 as specified and that it must be incorrectly invoiced.

It's an example of administrative attention to detail that I will be discussing with the dealer principal once I have the car completely back as it should be and I have a detailed timeline drawn up.

I'm not looking for anything other than that they fix the car and address the shortcomings that they have. It's the niggly little things that take the edge off an otherwise great dealership.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2023 at 3:32 PM, nlee said:

I popped into the dealer today to check how far away my replacement DCM is - answer still another week - and during conversation they mentioned that this particular recall/update has indeed been pulled due to the number that were failing.

I guess it is just unfortunate that mine was one of those.

For anyone else whose dealer says that a recall/update is required I would suggest strongly that you a) check what the recall is for and what happens if it fails, and b) that they actually have a replacement module available before starting... just in case.

• Like 3

On 5/18/2023 at 3:41 PM, Hybrid21 said:

IMG_20230518_133520450.thumb.jpg.021b3de71eec635b2f1ed69aa34f2c43.jpg

Save the excess oil from each service and when the car runs out of warranty you will have one free oil change from left overs 😂👌 , just kidding. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

tyres inflated to 36psi

Our Hyundai dealer does this as well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2023 at 2:05 PM, Strangely Brown said:

I popped into the dealer today to check how far away my replacement DCM is - answer still another week - and during conversation they mentioned that this particular recall/update has indeed been pulled due to the number that were failing.

I guess it is just unfortunate that mine was one of those.

For anyone else whose dealer says that a recall/update is required I would suggest strongly that you a) check what the recall is for and what happens if it fails, and b) that they actually have a replacement module available before starting... just in case.

New DCM finally arrived and was fitted on Wednesday. The "recall" is now completed and the car appears to be back to normal. Because the DCM was "disconnected" (I think it was bricked) the intervening period has seen the car think it was somewhere in southern Germany with the occasional foray into Austria. SOS system not working. Compass 180º out. Microphone not working so no phone or voice commands.

The only thing outstanding now is to get another Hybrid Health Check with a new printed certificate with the correct mileage on it. The HHC that was performed in the original 2yr service had the mileage entered as 112k miles instead of 12k miles. Because the DCM was bricked during the "recall" the Toyota system would not allow another HHC with the correct mileage until the recall was completed - well, they could in as much as it shows on the service record but they could not print the certificate. Now that the recall is complete and the DCM has been replaced the Toyota system will not allow another HHC with printed certificate until at least 500 miles have elapsed on the new DCM. I will take it back an get this final step completed in about another 450 miles.

Take this as a cautionary tale that if the dealer says you have have an outstanding recall / software update on the DCM then make sure that they have a replacement readily available before they are allowed to start.

With the exception of the original technician who entered the incorrect mileage and had the dubious honour of being the one for whom the recall/update failed and bricked the DCM, I cannot fault the efforts of the dealership to get this fixed as quickly as possible.

Are we there yet?
Just a little further.

• Like 6

Hope the cost was cheaper than the Lexus at over £500 for the basic car model 

• Like 2

Another reason why I like Toyota more than Lexus 😉
I hope dealer or Toyota uk  does not share info with dvla or other parties about car mileage as what had happened with this mistake 100k + miles added might comes up as mileage discrepancy in the future checks when eventually the car been valued for sale, part ex etc. Just first thing came to my mind. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Another reason why I like Toyota more than Lexus 😉
I hope dealer or Toyota uk  does not share info with dvla or other parties about car mileage as what had happened with this mistake 100k + miles added might comes up as mileage discrepancy in the future checks when eventually the car been valued for sale, part ex etc. Just first thing came to my mind. 

The first thing that I raised with the dealer as soon as I saw the 112k mileage recorded in the HHC was, errr.... warranty! I want this fixed and I want this fixed now.

Unfortunately, the DCM failure allowed only the online record to be updated with another HHC and would not allow printing the certificate. The DCM having been replaced still allows only the online record to be updated but not the certificate until after 500 miles.

I am not worried about the warranty as the dealer did speak to Toyota to establish the best way to resolve the problem when it first happened. I originally asked that the record be simply edited to change the mileage but that, apparently, is not possible and the advice from Toyota was to just do another HHC.

Now I am just waiting for another 450 miles or so to go back and finish it off.

AFAIK, the only mileage recorded by any Govt agencies is at MOT time and that's not due until next year. The first recorded mileage in the MOT record will be 3yrs worth.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

My 2021 RAV4 Phev had its 2nd service on Friday after hitting 20,000 miles. 

All went well, done in 2 hours but rebooked to go back next week for two recalls, both software things and will take ‘a good while’. 

The dealer (Toyota Henley) washed it so I’m happy! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JDK-SL7 said:

My 2021 RAV4 Phev had its 2nd service on Friday after hitting 20,000 miles. 

All went well, done in 2 hours but rebooked to go back next week for two recalls, both software things and will take ‘a good while’. 

The dealer (Toyota Henley) washed it so I’m happy! 

Took mine in for the 2nd service at the start of May, had only hit 10k miles at that point. Also sailed through smoothly and had the SOS recall done. They weren't sure how long it was going to take so just gave me a courtesy car for the day (only ended up being 2.5 hours). They also usually wash the car there but as their car wash guy was off that day they gave me a discount on the service which was a nice surprise. 

So far it has been a good experience dealing with Toyota (Platinum Toyota, Bath) over the past two years so hope for more of the same!

• Like 2

Our Rav4 is in tomorrow for her 2nd service, 1 day early!, so thanks for the heads up re the possible software  download issues.

Btw, for the 2nd year in a row, I had to contact the dealer to get her booked in, and this deliberately less than a week before the specified calender date, since they were a tad snippy last year, saying they "would" have been in contact if I had not phoned, which I had reason to doubt. 

I imagined the dealership should have contacted us(and all other owners), quite automatically, you know with everything now being on the computer?

Still enjoying the ownership experience. Though the daughters near 180,000 mile D4D Yaris is proving troublesome, engine wise, and still prob DPF related. Gerrrr.

• Like 2

A wee update.

No mysteries and Ricky readily admitted to the possibility** of the software update causing some electronic gubbins to fail, and that the 1 time it had occurred on their premises that there was the distinct possibility that the technican had somehow goofed, but that they now keep a spare replacement electronic gubbins "just in case".

**but that the software upgrade had subsequently/recently been pulled and modified.

All very refreshing.

• Like 3

On 5/18/2023 at 3:41 PM, Hybrid21 said:

tyres inflated to 36psi which I reduced to around 34psi.

Mine were set to 33 ! 

• Like 1

Has the software upgrade to our Rav4 perhaps included some mandatory gender reassignment**, since yesterday, it twice clearly told me to turn left at a cross roads, while the indicated route, (which agreed with my local knowledge btw) clearly showed a right turn. Must investigte furthur today.

**since I still remember my girlfriend, now wife doing her best to break my nose with her gesticulating right hand, while reiterating "turn left, turn left!".

• Haha 3

"Turn left.  No, MY left, the actual left."

• Like 1