Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ffffffffffffff

Cyker

3 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Thanks all; Back is a touch achy but the last few times this has happened it's gone after a day or two. Thankfully no neck soreness!!

Thanks for the offer @corradovr6 - Fortunately the repairer they've referred me to has one of the better reputations so I'm less worried than I was before!

I just hope it is repairable as I had a deeper look and the boot area is stoved in more than I thought - I couldn't get the boot floor cover out to look in the spare wheel-well as it's been jammed in hard...!

It seems the back of the Mk4 is a lot softer than the Mk1's - My Mk1 took a much bigger hit and just bent the bumper in a little, but destroyed the front of the car behind!! Although to be fair that was a Punto and not a van!!

Later cars are softer Indeed to absorb impact force and protect passengers. It might go write off as well. See what happens and maybe just buy another car. It so annoying, not just the feeling after the crash , the health risk etc but all the hassles you have to go through plus the car especially for people who has their cars added a personal touch it’s the worst thing happened. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

I think mainly it's just the rear bumper that'll need replacing (It's just one big piece from what I can tell.), but the tricky bit will be the top edge of the boot that's been stoved in slightly. Hopefully it can be straightened out and they won't need to cut it out and replace it.

I suspect they'll re-use the sensors.

I've been trying to see what bit is bent to stop the boot latching, but it's very subtle; I thought there'd be a more obvious crease in the boot area but with all the bends already in it it's hard to tell. Apparently I'm not as good at spotting damaged things as I'd like!! :laugh: 

The latch goes into the hook slot when it shuts so it must only be out by a cm or so!

The repairer will need to check under the rear of the car, and the spare wheel well for any creases, etc, which if the boot floor is creased, may mean a new floor panel.

• Like 4

Sorry to hear thishas happened, but on a more positive note, you seem to be OK. As @FROSTYBALLSsays, the  will need to check for the hidden damage such as the creased floor panels etc.

• Like 3

This happened to me back in February, some woman in a Vauxhall Meriva drove into the back of my old Mk2 while i was waiting in a queue for the traffic lights, it also shunted me into the back of the car in front, whose tow ball went straight through my front bumper and bent in the steel beam behind it, but thankfully it didnt pierce the radiator. The back end was only lightly damaged, but her car came off worse at the front, the headlight all hanging out. I had to claim on her insurance and they wrote my Yaris off, despite it only having 41K miles on it. All I got was £1500 back for it.

They assigned my car a Cat B and it was taken away by Copart to be broken, never allowed to return to the road, which I thought was a bit stange as it could have been easily repaired, hardly major structural damage in my opinion.

They seem to go down the write off route so often these days due to the high cost of bodywork repairs. I dont think Cyker's 21 reg Yaris will be written off though, it's worth more than repairs would cost, but it will likely be classed as a Cat N if they do repair it.

IMG_20230118_184605900.jpg

IMG_20230118_184643166.jpg

IMG_20230118_184658041.jpg

IMG_20230119_103714261.jpg

IMG_20230119_103730578.jpg

IMG_20230119_103829225.jpg

• Sad 4

It’s all well and good him apologising for letting his foot off the brake but firstly he shouldn’t and secondly, how blinkin close was he?   On the phone is my guess.  This is why I always have a rear Dashcam.  

• Like 3

My car was about 3 years old in the accident, sustained more damaged than above and the MK3 was also cheaper. It was repaired with no category.  

• Like 3

Close enough I glanced in the mirror to make sure he'd stopped! That's why I know he did, and was totally caught out when he hit me.

Anyway, he admitted fault so no point dwelling; Just need to get it fixed!

• Like 5

Sorry to hear news Cyker, hope MK4 sorted real soon and back on the road with her.

• Like 3

Keep in mind there are brand new Mazda 2s available now.  

• Like 3

Sorry to hear about your accident, main thing is you are ok. Many years ago I had similar, rear ended while stationary in traffic, they actually did good repair and painted inside boot better than factory, so hope yours repaired as good, that was a dealer bodyshop. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, anchorman said:

Keep in mind there are brand new Mazda 2s available now.  

That's the If They Write It Off plan, but given it's not even 2 years old and the value of it has gone up since I bought it I'm hoping they're more inclined to fix it, although I think the wheel well/boot area will very likely need pulling out if not cutting and replacing, which is a bit worrying :unsure: 

Not sure what the lead time on Mazda 2s is tho', and if they come from the same pool or if Mazda have their own totally separate pool.

I was wondering if they all go to Burnaston for final checks and then they just slap the Toyota or Mazda badges on them before shipping them out to the appropriate dealer :laugh: 

9 hours ago, Pumatron said:

How are you this morning Cyker?

Terrible! I haven't been on a bus in ages and it's worse than I remember! Is not covering your mouth when you sneeze or cough the new normal on public transport?? Excuse me while I wash the back of my head, arms and shoulders with Battery acid...! :sick:  And I'm going to need to give my work boots a good clean as they've got Lilt all over them, thanks to a half-full can that was rolling around the deck (I didn't even know you could still buy Lilt! :eek: )

To be fair, aside from the waiting (Which feels like an eternity but is probably only a few minutes) the journeys weren't too bad - I'd massively over-provisioned contingency time into the journey and aside from the passengers and the speed bumps on the A10 (I forgot that you should never sit over the wheels of a bus for that reason... That woke me up I tell you! :eek: )

One of the busses was an electric bus - They do exist! :laugh: Smooth and quiet without that nasty stop-start jerk or vibrating the fillings out of your teeth when it's idle. Much better than the horrible ancient diesel Enviro400s all the others were.

I want to do a cost comparison between today's fares and how much fuel I usually use in the Mk4 - I think the Mk4 will have an easy win tho'...

Physically I'm pretty good, which was lucky as I had to be up and down ladders today changing projector bulbs (Why do people still use projectors?? Get a big flat-panel or LED wall people!!) and schlepping my big heavy bag around on the bus wasn't ideal, and these were the convenient routes!

Definitely looking forward to getting a courtesy car, as my other days would be much more of a PITA because no direct busses. I just hope the courtesy car doesn't suck! (PleasedontbeaBSM1.0LcorsaPleasedontbeaBSM1.0Lcorsa...!)

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

I feel for you Cyker , nearly had the same thing happen to me just half an hour ago  , heard the screech of brakes , looked in the mirrors and a whit van had managed to pull up just inches from my back bumper.. 🙄🙄

• Like 3

Ugh, glad you were more fortunate! I think they should be fitting all these safety systems to vans and SUVs more than cars! I was surprised the van that hit me didn't have an AEB like mine, as it was a 22 plate; Isn't it mandatory on all new cars now?? Or are vans not subject to that...?

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Cyker said:

Terrible! I haven't been on a bus in ages and it's worse than I remember! Is not covering your mouth when you sneeze or cough the new normal on public transport??

Not been on a bus for a long time Cyker, but I do see this kind of behaviour while shopping etc.

Or even hawking and spitting in a car park,or on the streets.🤧

🤞 You don't get a Corsa, but if it happens, always remember it could be worse if you got a range rover.

• Like 3

I am telling you, the professionals drivers standards are the lowest ever. We might have low number of accidents and many will argue but this is only because of the technology that later vehicles are loaded.
The drivers are bad and going worse by the day. Roads are at worst possible conditions ever. 
I don’t see enjoyment in driving since few years now and the way we are heading will definitely make driving for living or commuting or pleasure even bigger hell. 

• Like 5

You just need to not drive around here; There are a few fun country roads, but it seems most of the really fun/scenic roads are well away from London, or any major city for that matter.

• Like 1

The run from Market Rasen to Binbrook, passing Tealby in the wolds here in Lincs can be fun.

I first drove it in a 3 speed Ford 100e, even in that terrible old heap, the cambers on the bends and gradients up and down made it feel like a roller coaster.

You do need to check that your brakes are good before the return run however,as the downhill run is steep, and until you get the confidence to not brake before the bends ,as in no need to,the cambers are perfect, most would panic brake with the scenery hurtling towards you.

I have not driven it yet in the tsport, but will do if no problems with MOT next week or so.

Perhaps nowadays a road closure notice may be in order before attempting it , but a while ago most seemed to know how to stay on the left hand side of the road.

One of the oldest pubs in the country, the thatch roofed Kings arms at Tealby makes a picturesque spot to stop for lunch.

🤞That they haven't "improved"it since I last drove it.

Mind you, that would be a lot of earth moving to flatten out the wolds.

• Like 2

Cyker am glad you were ok afterwards thats the main thing.

A lot of people out there still using mobile phones when driving but at least technology now has a cameras to catch them.

• Like 2

Car has been taken! To my relief the courtesy car wasn't a BSM 1L Corsa... it's a 71-plate Hybrid Yaris! :laugh: 

Basically the same car but the base spec, so I'm in this weird surreal zone where everything is the same but different!

I have to say it does look better on the 16" alloys - That's definitely the sweet spot for this car. I'm missing the digital dashboard and especially the HUD tho' - I basically don't know how fast I'm going most of the time and everything in the dash is in a different place! Even the MID controls are weird - Everything's 90 degrees different, because on the digital dashboards the MID is horizontal, but in the analogue dash it's vertical, so I keep changing to Media or Settings when I want to flip between the power flow meter and the tyre pressures :laugh: 

I think it's going to take me a while to get used to the key - I see what some people mean about it being weird starting the hybrid with a key vs a button, as I do the old foot-brake turn position 3 then, sit there like a lemon for a few extra seconds waiting for that engine start roar, before my brain reminds me that is not a thing in this car :laugh: 

I think if I hadn't had both it wouldn't be such a big deal, but switching from one to the other is really messing up my muscle memory!

Interestingly I was right about the seats - The normal seats are more comfortable for me than the 'sports seats' in the higher specs and I don't have to use my Spinal Support towel with them.

Whoever had the car before me did not look after it tho' - They've tried to clean it but it's still full of gross crumbs and smeg knows what in all the crevices, and the boot reminds me of my first Mk1 Yaris (Plants have definitely been in this car!), and it's clearly been driven into something as there's a big gouge in the front bumper and the license plate is bent in a corner...

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Cyker said:

as I do the old foot-brake turn position 3 then, sit there like a lemon for a few extra seconds waiting for that engine start roar, before my brain reminds me that is not a thing in this car :laugh: 

That is exactly how it was for my loan car.  Turn key, no noise, rang garage........ 

I think when I drove it off the forecourt first time the engine had started. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

That is a semi good result as no fuel economy are lost. But got to be careful not to curb those alloys now, one of the thing I dislike regarding courtesy car. 

My design spec will be turning key, awful coming from an icon MK3 with push start! At least the 16" wheels will be good, just not as well as I'd like - 195mm instead of 205/55/16. Will one day write a feedback to Toyota on this tyre size and push button start all spec. 

• Like 4

I don’t what the “thing” is with Toyota and sports seats.  They brag about giving them in the top spec when they are diabolical and the low spec get really comfy ones.  What’s going on down Gt Burrrrr?

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

That is a semi good result as no fuel economy are lost. But got to be careful not to curb those alloys now, one of the thing I dislike regarding courtesy car. 

My design spec will be turning key, awful coming from an icon MK3 with push start! At least the 16" wheels will be good, just not as well as I'd like - 195mm instead of 205/55/16. Will one day write a feedback to Toyota on this tyre size and push button start all spec. 

Ack you're right, I'm glad you said that - I've been a lot more 'care-free' about kerbs since I put the steel rims on!! :eek: :laugh: 

Definitely have to be more careful, and also check the tyre pressures - The turning force is noticeably harder on this than it is on mine for some reason; It's a bit nicer, as the steering on my one is very over-assisted, but this one feels just right, but I'm not sure why - I can't imagine they used different PAS settings on the different trims, so I'm guessing one of the tyres may be a bit low...?

16 minutes ago, anchorman said:

I don’t what the “thing” is with Toyota and sports seats.  They brag about giving them in the top spec when they are diabolical and the low spec get really comfy ones.  What’s going on down Gt Burrrrr?

It's not just Toyota, they're all doing it - It's the same thing as putting gigantic rims on tiny eco boxes. They think that's what the market wants - A Sports Eco Hybrid Performance car. And despite this being contradictory, it seems they're not wrong - To my great annoyance the new GR Sport trim has apparently done well, despite it not being any 'sportier' than any of the other trims, and being objectively worse in terms of equipment, and economy because of the big heavy rims!

The bizarre thing is it seems Mazda of all people are the sane ones there - they don't have te 17 or 18" rims at all, and even let you option 15" rims, alloy or even steel, for their Yaris!! :laugh:  But this has probably impacted their sales vs the Toyota offerings...

I do wonder if it's the bolstering somehow causing my back ache, as the main difference is the 'sports seats' in mine have a lot more side bolstering than the normal ones in this car.

Another thing I do like better in this car is the dark interior - It just feels cosier and a more relaxed place to be for some reason. I feel doing an interior swap would be a bit cost-prohibitive tho'...!

• Like 3