Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ffffffffffffff

Cyker

The seats in my old Tsport are fairly comfortable, even for a creaky old chap like me.

Mind you , they are needed to cope with the enormous g forces generated on corners, and to keep me in place at Santa Pod when out accelerating the competition.

Maybe if next week's Mot goes ok , I am thinking of fitting recaros with a five point harness.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Honestly, out of the 3 Yarisusieueeueses I've had, the Mk1 was the comfiest. (Well, at the front anyway; All my passengers unanimously voted the Mk2 having the best rear seats :laugh: )

• Like 4

Well, they certainly beat having your knees round your ears in my mini van.

BMC, not BMW.

• Haha 2

While I've been pootling about in the courtesy car, I've noticed something very strange - It's smooth *all* the time!

I'm now wondering if there was, in fact, something wrong with my one! I've posted before about how unrefined and rough it runs when it's charging while stationary, but the courtesy car doesn't do that at all - It's barely audible and doesn't have the nasty vibration mine does, and even under hard acceleration it's noticeably less raucous - I'm now wondering if the damper plate isn't working properly, or maybe an engine mount is loose or something!! :eek: 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Cyker said:

While I've been pootling about in the courtesy car, I've noticed something very strange - It's smooth *all* the time!

I'm now wondering if there was, in fact, something wrong with my one! I've posted before about how unrefined and rough it runs when it's charging while stationary, but the courtesy car doesn't do that at all - It's barely audible and doesn't have the nasty vibration mine does, and even under hard acceleration it's noticeably less raucous - I'm now wondering if the damper plate isn't working properly, or maybe an engine mount is loose or something!! :eek: 

Always a good thing to have tested  more than one car of the same brand, model etc. I had my experience with Toyota hybrids based on two same specs Aurises with different miles and 5 Priuses two of them plus. And very interesting, most things that happened on one , then happened on the others. Perhaps you may really have some issues with the damper clutch as you did already had hybrid system malfunction fault once. Maybe a thing to keep an eye after the body repair, and possibly ask Toyota to fix this afterwards and before the manufacturer warranty expires. 

• Like 3

Okay false alarm... or something - Refuelled it and it's just as bad as mine was now :laugh: 

It's crazy how much difference the fuel makes - I haven't had an engine that was this sensitive to fuel since my Mk1 D4D! I wonder what fuel it had in before... it was the smoothest in the engine so far!

• Like 3

That's interesting..

• Like 2

Fuel does make a difference. My previous C-HR didn't like Shell fuel, but preferred Esso. I'm still experimenting with the new one to see which fuel she prefers

• Like 3

I've had similar findings so far; Of all the super fuels, V-Power didn't seem any different than the normal supermarket E10 I usually use, but the engine seemed to like Esso's E5 a bit better. I think I was testing Tesco's E5 before I got rear-ended but haven't had enough time with it. Haven't tried BP at all yet.

• Like 1

Not had any issues with Tesco Momentum in either car.

• Like 3

The volatility of the fuel affects the timing significantly.  It’s the opposite of what you might expect and low octane fuel is more volatile than high.  It basically just explodes and of course the tendency to knock is high so the knock sensor retards the timing right back towards or past TDC.  High octane fuel burns consistently and predictably so the timing can be advanced and that really smooths the engine out.  These 3 cylinder engines are gruff at the best of times but they really calm down on decent fuel.  I’ve also found at least 5 mpg improvement on fuel economy as well.  

• Like 2

In the UK high octane fuel used to be 97 or 98 octane, now it is 99 octane.  As all cars in the UK have to be capable of running on 95 octane I wonder if the ignition can advance far enough to take full advantage of the very high octane that is now available.

Currently I am running on Sainsburys 97 octane which is 10p more than standard unleaded whereas Tesco momentum 99 octane is 8p more than standard unleaded.

• Like 1

Anchorman,  which fuel are you currently using?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Trewithy said:

Anchorman,  which fuel are you currently using?

Esso E5 which is supposed to be zero ethanol.   I might try some of the others but I think additives are more important than octane.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, anchorman said:

Esso E5 which is supposed to be zero ethanol.

That may have been true once, however.....................................................................

The only zero ethanol fuel I know of is aviation fuel. They don't want them falling out of the sky!

17 hours ago, Trewithy said:

Currently I am running on Sainsburys 97 octane which is 10p more than standard unleaded whereas Tesco momentum 99 octane is 8p more than standard unleaded.

I don't use super unleaded for a power increase I use it because I believe the hype and think the additives are worth having (as said below) , also compare momentum E5 to Shell E10 and you are not paying much more for thr better fuel. 

" I think additives are more important than octane"

• Like 2

8 hours ago, bathtub tom said:

That may have been true once, however.....................................................................

The only zero ethanol fuel I know of is aviation fuel. They don't want them falling out of the sky!

According to Esso, it still is until September.  

IMG_0798.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, anchorman said:

According to Esso, it still is until September. 

"In some parts of the UK"

5 hours ago, Max_Headroom said:

I don't use super unleaded for a power increase I use it because I believe the hype and think the additives are worth having (as said below) , also compare momentum E5 to shell E10 and you are not paying much more for thr better fuel. 

" I think additives are more important than octane"

Momentum E5  £143.9 (top) Shell E10 £1.42.9 bottom its only a penny a litre more so a no brainier, i also momentum in my Corsa 1.2 petrol as i did not believe the government when they said it wont damage a car of that age but would not guarantee it. 

222222re.JPG

11111ure.JPG

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Good news!

What? No I haven't bought a Dacia Sandero...

My Mk4's arse replacement has been successfully completed and it's all shiny, new and not all crumpled up :yahoo: 

Taken a literal month, but got there in the end! Now we can go back to terroriz-I mean driving safely and considerately around other road users :whistling1: :naughty: 

They've done a very good job; I can't tell if they pulled it out or had to cut it out and replace the bend bits but wow they replaced a lot of stuff; I asked for a copy of the job sheet and it's 3 pages long and was nearly £4500, with most of that being parts! :eek:  (And not labour like we were thinking!)

Glad it's the other party picking up that tab...!

• Like 8

Glad you got it sorted and you are happy with the repair. Avoid driving with vans on the road in future.😅 👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Glad it’s all sorted. These days a good news are so rare so this is a welcome announcement. Enjoy your car. How do you find it the return to the top spec from an entry level car? 

• Like 3

There are things I did prefer in the courtesy car - The black interior and the sound system - But I much prefer having a car that doesn't smell of a sweaty person and seemingly has some sort of moths nest, and getting my digital dash and HUD back :laugh: 

I do wonder about the JBL system in mine vs the stock one - The stock one seemed *much* bassier, and had a much wider spread of bass, whereas the JBL one is 'sharper', but the bass frequencies seem to be very specific.

It's like flat-response headphones vs, say, head phones with Sony MEGABASS ][ or something.

• Like 4

Pleased it's sorted Cyker.

And that you didn't buy a Dacia,or even worse,a range rover.

Sweaty people in cars though, are usually the sort that eat pizza and other sweaty foods in cars,ugh.

• Haha 3

AF have sharp marketing, but one thing I've noticed about companies with sharp marketing...sharp business practices! I'd avoid like the plague.

My first question is always "who does repairs and do they use NEW genuine parts?".

The insurance industry is a SCAM.

Sorry to hear about your incident! Hope you're OK!

EDIT: Pleased the repair is good! 

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links