Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Leaving in neutral.

Penfold72

I was at one of those hand car washes yesterday, and as I needed to give guy the money, I slipped the car into neutral and put the handbrake on. I left it like this, thinking nothing of it as the car was being washed, but after about 5 minutes the car flashed up a message about not leaving in neutral to protect the traction Battery..... Never seen this before. Should I not leave in neutral (never have before btw). Should I just move gear into park when I visit a car wash.... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Penfold72 said:

I was at one of those hand car washes yesterday, and as I needed to give guy the money, I slipped the car into neutral and put the handbrake on. I left it like this, thinking nothing of it as the car was being washed, but after about 5 minutes the car flashed up a message about not leaving in neutral to protect the traction battery..... Never seen this before. Should I not leave in neutral (never have before btw). Should I just move gear into park when I visit a car wash.... 

Do not ruin your car with car washes do it yourself with proper cleaning aids.

• Like 3

It wasn't an automatic car wash, it was a hand wash place. I never use automatic car washes, ruin paintwork 

• Like 1

Tut tut Chris, you will be castigated for risking pressure washers and dirty sponges 

😉

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

They did a pretty good job to be honest.....

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Penfold72 said:

I didn't say I was castigating you as I use one and I also use a pressure washer.  It is the purists here...... 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

I didn't say I was castigating you as I use one and I also use a pressure washer.  It is the purists here...... 

Didn't think you were🙂

• Like 2

It's normal. Put it in Park as you're not going anywhere and are not being dragged through the autowash.

By the way, I also use a hand car wash that does a fantastic job. Takes 20 minutes to have the car washed, and well worth every penny.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Big_D said:

It's normal. Put it in Park as you're not going anywhere and are not being dragged through the autowash.

By the way, I also use a hand car wash that does a fantastic job. Takes 20 minutes to have the car washed, and well worth every penny.

Yeah, mine do too. Light jetwash with some kind of soap solution, full handwash, then jetwashed off, and chamois dried, with wheel dressing. £5.

• Like 1

Yeah, Neutral is discouraged as the car can't charge the traction Battery, but will still run the engine trying to, wasting fuel.

If you're stopped and have the handbrake/EPB on, then you may as well put it in P(ark) - That's the recommended procedure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Penfold72 said:

It wasn't an automatic car wash, it was a hand wash place. I never use automatic car washes, ruin paintwork 

Sorry got it wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

Tut tut Chris, you will be castigated for risking pressure washers and dirty sponges 

😉

Not if you do it properly and spend a couple of hours doing it.

• Like 1

I'm far too lazy for that... :whistling1: :laugh: 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Cyker said:

I'm far too lazy for that... :whistling1: :laugh: 

should try it. it is very therapeutic and just stand back and admire your ow work.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

This may sound odd, but in the summer, the neighbours and I get together at least once and wash our cars. It started by accident. I went out to was mine, not realising my neighbour was washing his. As luck would have it a third joined a while after. We now do it at least once a year. It turns into a festive event and gives us time to have a brew while getting to know each other. Quite festive and relaxing really. It takes about five to six hours to wash the outside and clean the inside. Maybe we should get a BBQ going too??

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Big_D said:

This may sound odd, but in the summer, the neighbours and I get together at least once and wash our cars. It started by accident. I went out to was mine, not realising my neighbour was washing his. As luck would have it a third joined a while after. We now do it at least once a year. It turns into a festive event and gives us time to have a brew while getting to know each other. Quite festive and relaxing really. It takes about five to six hours to wash the outside and clean the inside. Maybe we should get a BBQ going too??

Only about once a year? I wash mine at least every 4-6 weeks or more often if required cannot have a dirty car! Even told dealer not to wash it while in for a service as I am very particular to the soaps etc that I use. No TFR here! only Ph neutral.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have my car washed every weekend at the nearby hand car wash. It's owned and run by two brothers who take their time and do an outstanding job. I only was it myself a couple of times a year, when the urge bites.

I do however, clean the inside myself every weekend. I a, particular about that. No one eats or drinks in my car.

• Like 2

I quite agree about Chris and a dirty car. 

I clean the back of my Yaris Cross every few days. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Penfold72 said:

Take a look under the bright sun. Do you notice any thin hairline swirl marks on the paint clear coat?  Very few people and car wash know how to do proper hand wash.

It must be 2 buckets with a lot of water and foams. 1 bucket for rinse only. Use the best fabric to wipe the car (70 polyester 30 polyamide) and never press it hard, just the weight of the wipe itself. Very often automatic does better job than ignorance hand wash crue. 

Wax/sealant the car with high quality ceramic coating like turtlewax ceramic. It gives very long hydrophobic layers. Make it ideal for 3-6 months car wax interval. Waxing car only after the car wash. Once it has been waxed, it is much easier to clean, dirt does not stick. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Big_D said:

I have my car washed every weekend at the nearby hand car wash. It's owned and run by two brothers who take their time and do an outstanding job. I only was it myself a couple of times a year, when the urge bites.

I do however, clean the inside myself every weekend. I a, particular about that. No one eats or drinks in my car.

Nobody ever eats and drinks in mine. There is no junk in it too. 

• Like 2

Same, wash and clean once a week as diy.
Open doors and airy the interior every afternoon, plus clean the carpet mats. Under bonnet check twice a week and adding windscreen wash, now and oil 😂, joking a bit. 👌 

Soon will be leaving it for while and bought some wheel covers and another full car cover if I need it to protect the interest and headlights from the sun. 
Don’t know what to do with the 12v Battery yet, ready mode once a week for 30 min or to connect a smart charger, and where to connect to Battery in boot or under bonnet points? 
For P or N and car wash, yes best to avoid any automatic car washes and wash the car best practice is in P and ready mode or completely off. 
The N position is mostly for service procedures or loading into recovery track. 👍

• Like 1

For hand car wash places, I generally like to turn the engine off to avoid gassing the poor car wash workers with exhaust fumes. Non-hybrid on both my cars, though.

• Like 1

Quick question, save starting a new thread...... Does the C-Hr have a low washer fluid warning.... I have the 1.8 design model 2022 plate

5 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Same, wash and clean once a week as diy.
Open doors and airy the interior every afternoon, plus clean the carpet mats. Under bonnet check twice a week and adding windscreen wash, now and oil 😂, joking a bit. 👌 

Soon will be leaving it for while and bought some wheel covers and another full car cover if I need it to protect the interest and headlights from the sun. 
Don’t know what to do with the 12v battery yet, ready mode once a week for 30 min or to connect a smart charger, and where to connect to battery in boot or under bonnet points? 
For P or N and car wash, yes best to avoid any automatic car washes and wash the car best practice is in P and ready mode or completely off. 
The N position is mostly for service procedures or loading into recovery track. 👍

Battery charger under the bonnet worked on my Auris, and just fine on the Corolla. Saves the ready mode faffing 

• Thanks 1

As it was such a nice day and after the sun had gone round the corner, pressure washer and the kit out.

Stages 1 to 5 took me approx 1 hour. tomorrow protect the black trim and wheels, vacuum and polish interior trim and that will do for hopfully another couple of weeks.

No foreign labour was used or harmed during this process. Also one microfibre mitt and an Auto Finesse drying towel were the only material used to get to this stage.

Now time for a wine or two!

20230520_173636.jpg

20230520_174136.jpg

20230520_180155.jpg

20230520_181722.jpg

20230520_181741.jpg

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links