Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Service Plan

Raj Bhuva

5 minutes ago, Hybrid21 said:

Hi Mark, I didn't realise that you needed the service plan to get the years warranty ?

I thought the service gave you the years warranty ?

No, you don't actually have to have a service plan to get the extra Warrenty, but you do have to have the car srviced by Toyota main dealer, so if you are going to get it serviced at main dealer to get the extra Warenty, you might as well have a service plan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The chief advantage of the service plan is it lets you spread the cost of all the services out, but the overall cost is the same as if you paid in full.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

The chief advantage of the service plan is it lets you spread the cost of all the services out, but the overall cost is the same as if you paid in full.

Is this all about the old monthly payments?

This seems to be the business plan of most things now.

Get the money up front for services ( not just car related,all services and business)

The words plan ,budget, and easy payment,all spring to mind.

To me, this is just a way of getting paid for something that may,or may not,be fulfilled at some future point.

I prefer to get something done, and then pay for it in full, there and then.

Who knows what the future holds?

I realise that I this is an old way of thinking, and that I may well be out of touch with modern practice, but I prefer to control what I pay when it happens.

Of course,we are all different, and monthly plans suit some people better.

But I was taught that if you can't afford it,go without and save up until you can.

Having said that, I freely admit to having a mortgage, and a HP loan for a car in the past .

Edited by Rhymes with Paris
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

But you also fix the cost of the servicing at the time you take out the service plan - so there are two main advantages.

14 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

I prefer to get something done, and then pay for it in full, there and then.

Owners don't have to use monthly payments - you can purchase a plan in full, and some do.

With the number of new cars we've had, we've sometimes paid for servicing as and when required, taken out a service plan, paid for a service pack (which is different to a p!an and is where one buys a heavily discounted service package when one orders a vehicle) and had free servicing packages as part of the deal.

None of the options we've chosen have had anything to do with affordability.

For example with our previous i20, Hyundai (not the dealer) offered a servicing pack of three services for £199 which had to be paid for when the car was ordered. A no brainer as the pack was far cheaper than either a service plan of path servicing.

If something happens and you don't want to continue with a service plan, one can get a refund of any monies paid in excess of services already done. Might be an admin fee, but that is usually around £25 or so.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

But you also fix the cost of the servicing at the time you take out the service plan - so there are two main advantages.

I consider that more of a fringe benefit, as it'd only apply if the price went up, and it also goes both ways; I got a discount on my most recent service, which I wouldn't have been able to do if I'd had a service plan.

I do wish Toyota would do what you describe with the discounted service packs - That's something I'd be more receptive to, but the service plan as it is doesn't have enough benefit over just paying for it outright for me.

• Like 1

The fringe benefits are if dealers offer things like a discount on parts, and labour for work done outside of the plan. We've had this on our last three Toyotas, and have taken advantage of the discount on parts.

Ultimately it is the buyer's choice. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The fringe benefits are if dealers offer things like a discount on parts, and labour for work done outside of the plan. We've had this on our last three Toyotas, and have taken advantage of the discount on parts.

Ultimately it is the buyer's choice. 

Yes, I got 10% knocked off my dash cameras, rubber mats and air conditioning service because I've got a service plan.

• Like 1

It depends on the dealer, but the 'other' dealer I go to will often give a similar discount just for the asking - Don't ask, don't get, as they say!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links