Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Getting an extra key

ALLCOCKSU

My Yaris Verso is 21 years old and I have had it for coming up to 7 years. When I first bought it I had 2 sets of keys but I now have only one set as the 'spare' key fell apart. The car has remote central locking and also security deadlocking.

I have never had the 'master' key (or 'grey' key) to get a replacement cut. I have thought of getting a passive key (i.e without remote c/locking) just in case the remaining key fails or gets lost, but I suspect that this would not work as a passive door-only key would not disable the deadlocking.

What are my options for getting another key ? I am quite worried that the one and only key will fail or get lost, and I will be left stranded with an unusable car

• Like 1

If you have a black key with the remote lock/unlock buttons on it - That IS a Master key - You can take it to a Toyota dealer and they can make a fully functional spare with it.

There are also potentially cheaper third-party ways of getting it done, but aside from the higher cost, doing it via the dealer is the easiest and least hassle way to do it. (Speaking as someone who ended up spending nearly twice as much as the dealer rate would and a lot more time, trying to do it on the cheap with an eBay'd key!)

FYI the Grey one is the Valet key, and can only be used to drive the car, but can't remote open/lock and also can't be used to make new keys (Although third-party locksmiths can clone the transponder code on it to make spare non-remote keys.)

• Like 2

Cyker's way is probably the best way.

But if it's any help I had a key fall apart on my old Lexus, same pattern key as old Toyota, plastic gets brittle with age,a bit like me.

The circuit board and transponder were still intact, that is the important bit.

So a new pattern blank key from the big river in south America,got it cut at the local locksmith to match the existing key.

Then transferred the innards from the broken key into the new one.

All for around £20 IIRC,a few years ago though, so may be different now.

But you are right, get it done one way or the other before you get stuck with no functioning key.

• Like 2

I have a 2002 Yaris Verso in very good condition and incredibly reliable. When I bought it just over 6 years ago I had 2 functioning remote key fobs but I am now down to one (the other one fell apart, and I didn't realise the importance of keeping it in order to get it repaired, as a local motor factor informed me I could have). I live in dread of losing the remaining key fob, and there are now signs of it showing its age, as the lock button works reluctantly and I frequently have to lock it manually. The unlock button is fine (so far) but I am conscious that just cutting another key won't work as it won't disable the alarm. What are my options ? Can I get another key programmed at a dealer ? 

You should be able to get another remote programmed by a Toyota dealer and a key cut either by the dealer or a key cutting shop such as timpsons.

The only thing is that the remotes including the programming from Toyota dealers won’t be cheap probably around £200 assuming they still do them for a 2002 Yaris you will also need the key number which you should have had when you bought the car if not I think they can program a new remote from the info on the chip from your exsisting remote.

• Like 1

Have you tried any of the options pointed out to you in your other thread about this?

• Like 2

I thought I had some deja vu! :laugh: 

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I thought I had some deja vu! :laugh: 

Yes, deja vu, I tried that with some doppelganger German sausages .

It goes nicely with sauerkraut and boiled jersey new potatoes.

• Haha 3

That's great, thank you guys. Will head off to the nearest dealer, just hope I don't get laughed out of court for holding on to a nearly-veteran car.

Thanks for the signpost. Will head off to  a local Toyota dealer asap. £200 may not be cheap, but it's certainly cheaper than trying to replace the car.

I find deja vu works best with fish and chips, no mushy peas though.....

• Haha 2