Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Cross tantrums?

cruiserOAP

The Independent's car reviewer reckoned the Yaris Cross did indeed look cross, like an angry toddler. Now, It looks like it's saying "Who are you calling a small SUV!"  Perhaps this explains the tendency to refuse to start if ignored for a few days.

Another reviewer thought his white one looked like a Star Wars Stormtroopers helmet. Will I ever be able to look the thing in the face again?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, cruiserOAP said:

Another reviewer thought his white one looked like a Star Wars Stormtroopers helmet.

Nothing new.

White Toyota IQs have previously been likened to Star Wars Stormtrooper helmets ......

• Haha 2

The new Aygo X has design Q's from the IQ, the Mk4 has wide hips and a fat ar............................

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

That has been a theme of the newer cars, or the Yaris at least. Generally they had a cute or at least inoffensive design, but the Mk4 has the most aggressive face of any Yaris that has ever existed! I think it looks incredibly angry, scowling at all other cars. It's very Fiesta-like :laugh: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Reflect on the  Lexus they plan to bring to UK. 

4 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Nothing new.

White Toyota IQs have previously been likened to Star Wars Stormtrooper helmets ......

Have you ever seen the Aston Martin rebadge of the IQ? Most bizarre thing I've ever seen on four wheels! Looks like a Bond movie stunt that went horribly wrong!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

That has been a theme of the newer cars, or the Yaris at least. Generally they had a cute or at least inoffensive design, but the Mk4 has the most aggressive face of any Yaris that has ever existed! I think it looks incredibly angry, scowling at all other cars. It's very Fiesta-like :laugh: 

Someone in the Toyota design office needs to go on an anger management course! I can see Angry Yarises and Cross Yarises facing off in Tesco car parks, with a furious Lexus coming over to sort them out, and some smug middle class Priuses tut-tutting on the sidelines

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I must admit I think these designs are significantly better than previous designs; I'd rather keep them!! :biggrin: (Less so Lexus' current designs... :sick: )

• Like 2

It's funny how much the Yaris Cross especially divides people. I absolutely love how it looks but almost every review video in Finland has comments full of "this is the ugliest car ive ever seen". I dont care, enough for me that I really like it 😄

I also really like how my Aygo X looks (other than from behind maybe)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CruxisCore said:

It's funny how much the Yaris Cross especially divides people. I absolutely love how it looks but almost every review video in Finland has comments full of "this is the ugliest car ive ever seen". I dont care, enough for me that I really like it 😄

'Cross Yaris' would make a great character in the next Cars movie

• Haha 2

New Lexus version is to be announced on the 5th June.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CruxisCore said:

I think it's been designed very well - It'll appeal to the sort of people that like SUVs, but not by people who like cars, and you want it that way around - I think it looks horrible, and much prefer the normal Yaris, but I'm very anti-SUV, so they've clearly got the designs right for the target audiences :laugh: 

I also quite like the Aygo Cross, but to me it looks like a Mk2 Yaris more than an SUV - I did laugh when they first revealed it, as I remember saying on this forum years ago that, at the rate cars bloat up, it wouldn't be that long before a newer Aygo was bigger than an older Yaris, and I think it's there now :laugh: 

I did get the hybrid part wrong tho' - I was sure the Aygo would get a hybrid drive train, but it looks like they're keeping that as a differentiator for the Yaris... although we've still got 7 years before the Great EV Cutoff so you never know!

22 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I think it's been designed very well - It'll appeal to the sort of people that like SUVs, but not by people who like cars, and you want it that way around - I think it looks horrible, and much prefer the normal Yaris, but I'm very anti-SUV, so they've clearly got the designs right for the target audiences :laugh: 

I also quite like the Aygo Cross, but to me it looks like a Mk2 Yaris more than an SUV - I did laugh when they first revealed it, as I remember saying on this forum years ago that, at the rate cars bloat up, it wouldn't be that long before a newer Aygo was bigger than an older Yaris, and I think it's there now :laugh: 

I did get the hybrid part wrong tho' - I was sure the Aygo would get a hybrid drive train, but it looks like they're keeping that as a differentiator for the Yaris... although we've still got 7 years before the Great EV Cutoff so you never know!

Is the new Yaris even designed by Toyota? I know it's a shared design with Mazda but it feels like the exterior design shares NOTHING with any other new Toyota out there at the moment. I guess something for everyone so it's not necessarily bad, but now that I was looking to upgrade from my Aygo X that has its lease running out, the first thought was "Well, a Yaris would be the natural upgrade, but.....", the looks put me off from really considering it, although I liked how it drove. Luckily Yaris Cross is perfect. It's the Yaris I liked to drive but it looks more like every other Toyota and shares that same thing that Aygo X had going for it too (but also looks good from behind unlike AygoX).

Well put though. I don't like cars (but literally impossible to live and work where I do without a car) but I do like SUVs the little I do like cars. Same with Aygo X. Anyone even the slighest bit car person would absolutely laugh at that thing. Me? I'm not in a hurry, I love that thing. Although I agree it would be pretty close to perfect for a car in it's style/segment with that Hybrid, but I understand they probably wanna keep it cheap and simple

I know right??? When it first came out I was joking they'd kidnapped the design team for the Fiestas, as it shares a lot of the aggressive design cues from various Fiestas, especially from the front!

It even has the sort of handling feel I'd more associate with Ford than Toyota!

I did like my cutesy Mk1 and Mk2, but I do like the Mk4 too  :naughty: :laugh: 

They apparently tried to appeal to a younger audience with the Mk3's design, but failed pretty badly I feel, but the Mk4 definitely has more of an angry youth look to it :laugh: 

1 minute ago, Cyker said:

I know right??? When it first came out I was joking they'd kidnapped the design team for the Fiestas, as it shares a lot of the aggressive design cues from various Fiestas, especially from the front!

It even has the sort of handling feel I'd more associate with Ford than Toyota!

I did like my cutesy Mk1 and Mk2, but I do like the Mk4 too  :naughty: :laugh: 

They apparently tried to appeal to a younger audience with the Mk3's design, but failed pretty badly I feel, but the Mk4 definitely has more of an angry youth look to it :laugh: 

I think Mk3 is the best, even if it's not really the current style anymore either, but it's still pretty nice and timeless. In a way a bit bland like the basic Golf or whatever look. Mk4 has more roundness to it than literally every single other current model Toyota combined, which is weird. It's the exact opposite of the design of everything else. It does look like a Mazda tho 😄

Yeah, it really is a stark contrast to their usual design; I think it's part of Akio Toyoda's 'no more boring cars' direction. You are right it is more Mazda - I wonder if it was actually designed by a Mazda team? It's kinda funny as it almost feels more at home as a Mazda 2 than a Toyota Yaris - It really doesn't have anything Yarisy about it. To me the defining things about a Yaris are, the wheels are as far into the corners of the car as possible, the centre digital dash binnacle, stupid amounts of interior storage space, sliding rear seats and a high seating position. The Mk4 has pretty much none of these things.  (Although neither did the Mk3 to be fair).

I must admit the Mk3 is my least favourite 'tho - The Mk1 and Mk2 had a lot of character (The Mk1 being quite cute and the Mk2 having a squashed face :laugh: ), but I found the Mk3 just so generically bland; For some reason it just screams Vauxhall at me...!

I will always be most fond of the Mk1 tho' - The Mk1 D4D is one of the silliest small cars Toyota ever made; Small, light with a (relatively) high-revving variable turbo diesel engine and a short-ratio gearbox - Only the japanese could make something so ridiculous! :laugh:  God that thing was fun to drive :laugh: 

• Like 1

They apparently tried to appeal to a younger audience with the Mk3's design, but failed pretty badly I feel, but the Mk4 definitely has more of an angry youth look to it :laugh: 

I love the style to me it looks like no other car.

MK3s  are still quite expensive i imagine when they get down to the prices MK1 & MK2 are now they will become much more popular with younger drivers, i was gobsmacked to see how popular the older Yaris are with younger drivers in the Facebook group below

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2208682345

May be an image of text

345317766_938831687259925_2425578444471755303_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_s600x600&_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=xgk6wrbRXHgAX8m-MYP&_nc_ht=scontent.fman1-2.fna&oh=00_AfBmf7HzjWSYHdA4tE3Lrf8-w8GmezQx3m8-qo9dSIRITw&oe=6477702A

May be an image of car and text that says 'York Sheet Metal 905-850-35 -3500 416-742-8242'

• Like 1

Yeah, I think it's because the Mk1 and Mk2 are old enough that they're both cheap to buy and insure, but they're still easily the most reliable, unlike a lot of other marques of similar age. Their biggest weakness by that time is rust, but if you find one that hasn't rusted to death then chances are the car will still be fully functional, as opposed to others where the electronics will be shot and it'll be a coin-toss whether e.g. the power windows and radio still work :laugh: 

• Like 1

On 5/26/2023 at 7:08 PM, CruxisCore said:

Is the new Yaris even designed by Toyota? I know it's a shared design with Mazda

The Yaris is a Toyota design.

The reason that the Yaris is sold as a Mazda in Europe only, is Toyota helping Mazda reduce their fleet average emissions.

The same reason that Suzuki sell the rebadged Corolla (Suzuki Swace) and Rav4 PHEV (Suzuki Across).

The Mazda designed Mazda 2 is still on sale in non-hybrid form, and has just had a mild facelift.

• Like 1

I know it's all subjective, but I hate the ever growing trend for cars to look "agressive" and have a really "agressive stance" and "presence" on the road.

Maybe that trend is contageous going by what many drivers have morphed into?

I personally prefer the Mk3 Yaris' front end to the facelifted basking shark design. An opinion to which I am, hopefully, entitled to have.

22 minutes ago, olonas said:

I know it's all subjective, but I hate the ever growing trend for cars to look "agressive" and have a really "agressive stance" and "presence" on the road.

I personally prefer the Mk3 Yaris' front end to the facelifted basking shark design. An opinion to which I am, hopefully, entitled to have.

I think it'll a trend of these some handful of years. Since the CHR came out, Ive absolutely loved it's look but also said that theres a high chance that the design isnt timeless at all and in 20 years we are all thinking like "who was the dork who actually drove that volunteerly?"

It's quite easy to see these trends in car designs over several years, like the first example that comes to mind was the time when half the cars out there looked very happy with the ^^ headlights and a big smile for a mask

3 hours ago, olonas said:

Yeah I'm not a fan of the gigantic 'mouth' design either - The original Mk3 was bland but it was in keeping with Toyota's understated designs, and had consistent design language with the Auris at least, but I really didn't like the facelift with it's 'basking shark' front either; It's not so bad with the numberplate there to break it up, but without one it's almost as ugly as the new BMW grills.

I'm glad the designer of that seems to have been given to Lexus, as their cars now seem to be getting a similar style of front grills, while we no longer have to worry about it as Toyota have gotten the designers with mostly functioning eyes :laugh: 

• Like 1

I like the design of the one on the left but not the ones to the right of it - 

Toyota Yaris Review & Prices 2023 | AutoTrader UKRent a Toyota Yaris (White), 2023 ID-05082, in Dubai - Renty.aeimage.jpeg.f3c56b8f3e4e5792d27a892933823700.jpeg

• Like 1

image.png.d197eb72d955186c340dbbeb1d169b9b.png

Although the Yaris Ativ is a Daihatsu design ......

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

I like the design of the one on the left but not the ones to the right of it - 

Toyota Yaris Review & Prices 2023 | AutoTrader UKRent a Toyota Yaris (White), 2023 ID-05082, in Dubai - Renty.aeimage.jpeg.f3c56b8f3e4e5792d27a892933823700.jpeg

I don't like either.:laugh: The top left looks as though it's about to puke. Or already has.:sick:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links