Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla Cross cancelled

Devon Aygo

Toyota UK have today announced that "following a comprehensive review of our SUV model Portfolio and UK market opportunities Corolla Cross will not be introduced in the UK market"

• Sad 2

No worries. Hop across to Ireland, buy one tax and vat free for export, and import it into Blighty.

Sorted.

• Like 2

Just as well , they are recalling 96,000 with air bag fault 

On 5/26/2023 at 4:03 PM, Chippy01 said:

No worries. Hop across to Ireland, buy one tax and vat free for export, and import it into Blighty.

Sorted.

Saw one in Bolton 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, tfc said:

Not the first airbag issue Toyota has had to handle, and the recall is for early U.S. versions apparently.
At least Toyota doesn't try to brush issues under the carpet, unlike some manufacturers. 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, tfc said:

These are the US built petrol models - the hybrid is unaffected.

• Like 2

On 6/2/2023 at 6:54 PM, Chippy01 said:

Not the first airbag issue Toyota has had to handle, and the recall is for early U.S. versions apparently.
At least Toyota doesn't try to brush issues under the carpet, unlike some manufacturers. 

Citroen had a very good recall system, often the recall was done at a service without the customer being aware. They were being criticised for recalls, while Fords and others were not even accepting they had a problem.

I’d rather have the problem sorted on a recall than have a car with a known fault that the manufacturer won’t admit to. E.g. Fords 3 cylinder engine problems.

• Like 4

On 5/25/2023 at 11:51 PM, Devon Aygo said:

Toyota UK have today announced that "following a comprehensive review of our SUV model Portfolio and UK market opportunities Corolla Cross will not be introduced in the UK market"

That's a shame ... I'll have to stop hoping for a Corolla Cross PHEV as my next car (to 'downsize' my RAV4). 😞

• Like 1

I believe Toyota did not offered Corolla cross in UK because it could cannibalise the sales of Corolla hatchback and TS which are built in England. Otherwise it would sell well because it’s just the perfect size suv. Yaris cross is lovely but too small, where Rav4 too big, chr not really a family car because of its quirky design on the rear doors/windows that made it claustrophobic and ultra dark for the rear passengers. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

I believe Toyota did not offered Corolla cross in UK because it could cannibalise the sales of Corolla hatchback and TS which are built in England. Otherwise it would sell well because it’s just the perfect size suv. Yaris cross is lovely but too small, where Rav4 too big, chr not really a family car because of its quirky design on the rear doors/windows that made it claustrophobic and ultra dark for the rear passengers. 

I think you hit the nail in the head - probably the best explanation of why not bringing it to the UK 👍

• Like 4

+1 for Tony & DC - this looks like the same reasoning which has removed the Prius from UK sales. Toyota UK doesn't think that they sell enough cars to justify the overlap.

• Like 5

I think their decision darts just didn't hit those parts of the dartboard :laugh: 

• Like 3

A shame so far as I am concerned. A Corolla Cross probably would have been my next car!

The RAV-4 is just a bit big and a Yaris Cross ever so slightly small although I will investigate the later if/when its's available with the 130 drivetrain.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Ah!, the joy of being a N.I. resident!

Enjoying the best of both worlds!

To accentuate the positive.

And ignore any negatives.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We would have bought a Corrolla Cross. They probably think it will eat too much into Rav4 sales? At the end, it's all about money.

When did people stop buying sensibly-sized family cars? The choice is now small Yaris-sized cars, or huge 4x4 type vehicles.

• Like 4

New chr will do it, although not very family friendly it is better than current model. 

• Like 1

On 6/30/2023 at 5:30 PM, Chippy01 said:

For those of an inquiring mind, Toyota Ireland has finally loaded up the Corolla Cross brochure to it's website......

TOY_COR-CROSS_dealer_specs (toyota.ie)

Good find , no doubt a very practical car but it’s not one I’m in love with visually , looks like it had at least two waves of the ugly wand ☹️

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AndyRC said:

Good find , no doubt a very practical car but it’s not one I’m in love with visually , looks like it had at least two waves of the ugly wand ☹️

To each, their own Andy.
But an SUV shape is an SUV shape, no matter which way you look at it.
I'm going to be collecting mine next week.

• Like 3

On 6/30/2023 at 5:30 PM, Chippy01 said:

For those of an inquiring mind, Toyota Ireland has finally loaded up the Corolla Cross brochure to it's website......

TOY_COR-CROSS_dealer_specs (toyota.ie)

So, a Corolla Cross that comes FWD only ... where's the Cross in that?

Oh well, it's not coming to the UK anyway, but, if that spec were, I'd still not want it!   😞

On 6/29/2023 at 1:00 AM, YarisHybrid2016 said:

We would have bought a Corrolla Cross. They probably think it will eat too much into Rav4 sales? At the end, it's all about money.

When did people stop buying sensibly-sized family cars? The choice is now small Yaris-sized cars, or huge 4x4 type vehicles.

On 6/29/2023 at 8:21 AM, TonyHSD said:

New chr will do it, although not very family friendly it is better than current model. 

Perhaps Toyota don't see a gap between the Yaris Cross and the RAV4 - I certainly don't see the RAV4 as 'huge' but wouldn't mind a 'Corolla'-sized AWD alternative. The new C-HR, as currently presented, certainly won't do it ...

9 hours ago, philip42h said:

So, a Corolla Cross that comes FWD only ... where's the Cross in that?

Oh well, it's not coming to the UK anyway, but, if that spec were, I'd still not want it!   😞

I would surmise that 99% of customers won't have the need for a AWD version. It's not like we get debilitating winters often enough to warrant the extra expense of one with AWD capabilities.
AWD versions are available in places like Poland, Germany and Italy, etc. Regular harsh winters, mountainous terrain, mandatory winter tyre rules, would make AWD a viable option.
But then again, those models would be LHD which wouldn't really suit RHD roads.
I guess if people would like to stay with Toyota and want a Corolla Cross sized SUV, they'd want to look at the sister company Lexus, and a UX AWD.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chippy01 said:

I would surmise that 99% of customers won't have the need for a AWD version. It's not like we get debilitating winters often enough to warrant the extra expense of one with AWD capabilities.

Then again some customers living in parts of Scotland, Yorkshire, Derbyshire, Nortumberland, etc may prefer AWD.

Of course, if the Cross were to be made available in the UK, it would be RHD - same as in Japan, Australia, etc.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2023 at 4:21 PM, Aygolite said:

If you mean the Aygo X, then 175/65R17 has a sidewall height of about 4.5", which makes it quite resistant to pothole damage. It's a world away from 3" to 3.5" sidewall heights, that always end up getting damaged...either the tyre or rim, or both.

For serious off-road use on the Aygo X, you might want to look at 175/80R15, as that tyre size has a sidewall height of about 5.5"...yet has about the same outside diameter as the 175/65R17 tyre size.

Yokohama G015 Geolander AT (All-Terrain) (3PMSF) 175/80R15 90S

Yokohama Tyres / Car / Yokohama G015 Geolander AT Yokohama G 015 175/80 R15 90S TL click to zoom image

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m53b0s3738p214942/Yokohama_Tyres_Car_Yokohama_G015_Geolander_AT_Yokohama_G_015_175_80_R15_90S_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_E_Wet_Grip%3A_C_NoiseClass%3A_B_Noise%3A_70dB

2 hours ago, Chippy01 said:

AWD versions are available in places like Poland, Germany and Italy, etc. Regular harsh winters, mountainous terrain, mandatory winter tyre rules, would make AWD a viable option.
I guess if people would like to stay with Toyota and want a Corolla Cross sized SUV, they'd want to look at the sister company Lexus, and a UX AWD.

With cars it's rarely about need - Most people don't need a space-wasting SUV but that's what the majority seem to want these days!

With electric motors, adding AWD is a lot easier packaging-wise, as you don't need a transfer box or prop-shaft, just wires, a diff, axles, and a relatively small motor, which could even be integrated with the diff!

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links