Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2007 second key fob not working

m456an

I did change the Battery then it started working. I do not use the spare much, tried it again after a few months and it was dead. Does anybody else have a Battery leak problem with the second key fob? 

• Like 1

What make was the Battery? I've known some cheap ones to die whilst still in the packet! Not usually the fault of the fob.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/26/2023 at 5:00 AM, m456an said:

I did change the battery then it started working. I do not use the spare much, tried it again after a few months and it was dead. Does anybody else have a battery leak problem with the second key fob? 

This not just for you, but anyone who reads this - except those that already do the following.

I have both keys on nearly identical key rings and fobs. I keep them in the same safe place when not in use. I alternate use of both keys, so the car will not forget either of them. My brother had a problem where his key no longer worked with the family Micra, because he drove the family Scenic most of the time. The Nissan tech reprogramed the key and told him - if a key is not used after a while, the cars ECU counter will assume it has been lost, so drop it from memory. So the both keys have to be used over time, to key them fresh with the car.
Even before the above I rotate key use to reduce wear and tear on one key. My previous Avensis - Mk1 '98 model had two good condition, fully working keys when I sold it back in 2016. Many tend to use one key until it falls apart and no longer functions, then do the same with the spare. Worse still, the spare is misplaced or the main key is lost and there is no replacement!

So owners find the second key and make sure it works with the car.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/26/2023 at 5:00 AM, m456an said:

I did change the battery then it started working. I do not use the spare much, tried it again after a few months and it was dead.

This is a common problem with many lithium coin cells and is due to a an insulating layer building up internally within the cell. They are not faulty, it is a characteristic of the chemistry and construction.

See:

https://data.energizer.com/pdfs/lithiumcoin_appman.pdf

And read the part on 'Passivation'

The fix is simple, just use the key once in a while and hold the buttons down for a few seconds to draw current.

• Thanks 1

A couple of interesting answers worth reading more then once from Mooley and Konrad C. 

This is of value not just for Toyota owners but owners of cars of other makes. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I think the heat, I mean the higher Summer temperatures have somehow managed to kickstart the the spare key fob.

So I have to use it at least once a week to keep it working.