Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Front windscreen washer not working

WelshGasman

Hi,

I have a 2017 Icon that only has one wiper at the front.

Car is not used much, as I am a community driver and out in their van most days.

Today I had to go to the doctors and as the screen was dusty, went to use the washer. Nothing.

I tested on the rear window and that works fine. Plenty of fluid in the reservoir.

Does the Yaris have dual pumps or just the one please?

TIA

OK, had a quick peek.

Cannot hear pump running.

Disconnected hose and nothing coming out.

Called dealer (FRF Toyota Swansea) They at least confirm two pumps.

New pump is £126.26 !!! so that is not an option. 🙂
Now looking for secondhand or eBay.

Anyone know if the pumps are compatible with other Toyota models?
According to this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocDCSVkVpRo
Part number is 85330-0D050
Grommet is 90069-20005

They usually have one pump that is just reversed.  Could be wrong but is it is, I’d be looking at the power supply.

Hi, thanks for the reply.
A search only seems to show 1 fuse for the washer (fuse 29)
I get water to the rear so I am taking that as the fuse being OK?

Just been out to the car now and whilst activating the rear washer, I can hear that pump clearly.?
I checked that the tube is clear by blowing through it to the reservoir.

So unless there is a fuse for each it looks like the pump is u/s. 😞
I have ordered one off eBay by it's part number, but that does not have a grommet, so hoping the current one will go back ok.

4 hours ago, WelshGasman said:

Just been out to the car now and whilst activating the rear washer, I can hear that pump clearly.?

I have ordered one off Ebay by it's part number, but that does not have a grommet, so hoping the current one will go back ok.

I’ve attached a photo of mine.  You can see one pump with two pipes.  Of course, yours is earlier and might be different but it is common practice with Japanese cars.  Personally, I would take the bumper off and have a look because it seems odd that it runs backwards and not forwards.  I’d check the feeds with a meter in case it’s a switch or a wire.  

I cannot see anything attached.

Rang the dealer this morning to order a grommet as I managed to get a pump on eBay, no grommet and they say I have two. Even the grommet might be different between rear and front pump? 😞

5 year old car, not under warranty? 

Well yes, should be as I have had it serviced by Toyotal dealer and that is meant to extend the warranty for another year?

Just been into the handbook, and I cannot find any fusebox behind and below the glovebox.

Another thread here says there is a fuse for each? My user guide says there are 3 fuseboxes in the engine compartment A, B & C, but I can only find A & B. Nothing near the postitive terminal of the Battery for C. ? 😞

Pics are postive terminal and behind glovebox.

20230528_142251.jpg

20230528_142145.jpg

This is what my user manual shows.

And

https://fuse-box.info/toyota/toyota-yaris-vitz-xp140-2011-2018-fuses-and-relay

Passenger side fuse box is mounted horizontally, so need to look up behind glovebox. It’s only small but will contain fuse you’re looking for.

I have looked several times, and cannot see anything. 😞

Belay that. 🙂 Went out again, intending to take a video. Remove dthe bottom cover as well and I have now managed to find it. 🙂 Thank you for prompting me one more time. 🙂

Damn, it is well hidden though, 🙂 no need for glovebox removal.

However, now the question begs..... Does this car have a fuse for each pump? The rear pump works, the fusebox diagram only shows F29 as the washer fuse?

I was only looking for the fusebox due to another thread saying one fuse for each pump?

As an aside, do I have to keep enabling the Follow Topic switch to get notifications here?
I get notifications all the time for the Firmware Upgrade thread, but not for this thread? 😞

On 5/26/2023 at 2:32 PM, WelshGasman said:

I have ordered one off Ebay by it's part number, but that does not have a grommet, so hoping the current one will go back ok.

I’ve attached a photo of mine.  You can see one pump with two pipes.  Of course, yours is earlier and might be different but it is common practice with Japanese cars.  Personally, I would take the bumper off and have a look because it seems odd that it runs backwards and not forwards.  I’d check the feeds with a meter in case it’s a switch or a wire.  

IMG_4731.jpeg

About a year ago I replaced the pump for the fronts.  Like the OP I wasn't keen on paying £126 for a screen washer pump!   I used a new but aftermarket one from eBay for about £21 (I think it was).  On my 2014  which is the very last of the old model, the pumps are accessed by removing the under-wing panel.  I only needed to peel back the front half.   It's worth changing the non-return valve at the same time as often recommended here if the flow to the screen is a little low because it is a common problem. 

• Like 1

I did ask if that was for the reservoir and both pumps as a unit, but the spares guy said, no just the pump. Around $45 in the USA.?

I have sourced one on eBay as well and new grommet and clips from dealer. Grommet was only around £2.90 

5 hours ago, Tintaglia said:

About a year ago I replaced the pump for the fronts.  Like the OP I wasn't keen on paying £126 for a screen washer pump!   I used a new but aftermarket one from ebay for about £21 (I think it was).  On my 2014  which is the very last of the old model, the pumps are accessed by removing the under-wing panel.  I only needed to peel back the front half.   It's worth changing the non-return valve at the same time as often recommended here if the flow to the screen is a little low because it is a common problem. 

How much was your non return valve, and what was your source please?

21 hours ago, anchorman said:

IMG_4731.jpeg

Thanks for that pic.

Actually I still have the non-return valve replaced by a straight through pipe and it hasn't caused any problems so far.  It would only cost about £10-£15 from a dealer I would think. 

Looking back through your posts, your 2017 is clearly different with the single pump for both front or rear so my comments may not apply to your car since mine has the twin pumps. 

No, mine has twin pumps. The dealer spares dept confirmed that with my reg.

My rear pump works fine, I can hear it and it pumps water out to rear screen.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2023 at 3:44 PM, Roy124 said:

5 year old car, not under warranty? 

That is a thought.

Rang the dealer, they want £126 up front in case it is not a warranty repair, so not taking the chance they say it is not.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, pump replaced. It was U/S. I have dual pumps and they are not transferable, connectors are different.

For a 2017 plate the pump I needed was obtained here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234569331843
I did buy another first that was advertised as for my car, but incorrect fitment. Refunded no problem.

Part number on the box for that is 85340-05010
I have since seen others advertised as suitable, but the connectors are not the same.
The one above is identical to the original Toyota (Made in China) version.

• Like 1